Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

Quote Originally Posted by dtowncitylover View Post
    The latest speculation!!! Cause I know we all love it...

http://www.crainsdetroit.com/article...res-in-midtown

I find it exciting that urbanity is taking shape. The Whole Foods parking lot doesn't help, but I love the concepts on the corner.

Renderings look very promising. I know the details of the buildings will change i'm sure, but the layout is perfect

-5-8 story buildings fronting woodward with ground level retail.. check
    -Connecting elliot street from woodward to john r [[finally) .. check
    -parking garages built BEHIND the buildings away from woodward.. check

that's everything i could've asked for from this development. hope it comes to fruition
    Last edited by SpartanDawg; April-11-17 at 04:25 PM.

And the Bonstelle won't look so lonely without a neighbor to the north.

Nice that the SE parcel of Woodward/Eliot won't simply be another parking lot.

According to the curbed article the two parking garages will break ground this fall

Quote Originally Posted by SpartanDawg View Post

Renderings look very promising. I know the details of the buildings will change i'm sure, but the layout is perfect

that's everything i could've asked for from this development. hope it comes to fruition
    I hope the garages have something at ground level, at least on Mack and Erskine. Looks like there may be glass in the rendering?

Also pleased that they intend to reconnect Eliot. Every little bit of street grid helps.

According to the curbed article the two parking garages will break ground this fall
    Free parking for those taking the Qline? Lol.

Couldn't agree more, sweet looking development whether or not Target is a part of it. Hope this happens.

Bump. What's happening?

Quote Originally Posted by emu steve View Post
    Bump. What's happening?

site was cleared of that old auto repair shop or whatever it was there... there is a huge sign up at the site with the renderings posted above and numbers to call for leasing. i imagine ground will be broken this year.

if i'm not mistaken they said the parking garage would start this year and the buildings themselves early next year

Great.

The thing, as I see it, is what 1K new housing units in 2018/19 and new commercial here in 2019.

Location, location, location and timing, timing, timing.

Right project at the right location at the right time?

I am not sure if it is the boycott so much as it is that Target is finding it difficult to change with the retail landscape. It has lost the "cheap" shopper to Wal-Mart and warehouse stores. Clothing and home goods sales are going online at a faster rate than most other categories. And upscale grocery customers are going elsewhere, too. They have replaced many of their department leaders in the last 12 months. Sales, stock price and earnings per share are all down.

I am a fan of Target and hope they come to Detroit. But I don't think most retailers have an illustrious future ahead of them.

Mikey,

I'll take a shot at this one.

I see the issue as urban Targets vs. suburban Targets.

Suburban Targets might be slowing down, but urban Targets might be much better received because folks aren't going to hop in the car and go to target for clothes, Krogers and Whole foods for groceries, CVS for other stuff, etc.

"One stop shopping" seems more desirable for the urban resident who may not even have a car.

I would probably be very comfortable should a Target comes to Woodward and Mack.

After all, this city must accept that our future must not be at the mercy of the auto industry. The elimination of most malls let alone "Northland Mall", the first mall, should show that the future lies in providing more retail in urban landscapes. The future lies in diversifying the city economy.

Total dependence on the auto industry to be our job breadwinner, will make our city fall.
    Last edited by Tig3rzhark; June-01-17 at 04:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tig3rzhark View Post
    I would probably be very comfortable should a Target comes to Woodward and Mack.

After all, this city must accept that our future must not be at the mercy of the auto industry. The elimination of most malls let alone "Northland Mall", the first mall, should show that the future lies in providing more retail in urban landscapes. The future lies in diversifying the city economy.

Total dependence on the auto industry to be our job breadwinner, will make our city fall.
    I think I agree with what you said although this sentence confuses me: "Total dependence on the auto industry to be our job breadwinner, will make our city fall."

I would say more like excessive dependence on the automobile.

Retail should be near where residents live. The big problems in urban cities is that for too long some cities had ridiculous few major commercial establishments like chain grocery stores, Targets, Walmarts, etc.

Didn't Detroit have zero chain grocery stores not too many years ago?

Now the trend is to put commercial establishment in cities and where folks live instead of forcing people, esp. w/out cars, to go to the suburbs.

I don't know if it has been specifically mentioned in this thread, but The Scott is a block away.

Obvious there are many more housing units coming on line in Brush Park and near LCA within walking distance of this site.

There are thousands of WSU students living on campus or near campus.

Why should a WSU student need to go to the suburbs to buy a pair of jeans or Dockers?

Shouldn't have trouble supporting say a Target.

This trend is also happening in D.C. Whole Foods has put up stores in a various parts of the city. Harris Teeter is there. Target has stores. Walmart has stores.

Finally it seems the city consumer is being rediscovered.
    Last edited by emu steve; June-02-17 at 04:24 AM.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5