Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Threaded View

Quote Originally Posted by Ruth Abou Rached View Post
    "invasion" ....I would be careful using militaristic metaphors concerning people moving from one country to the other. "invasion" is a correct word when referring to the times the UK sent its armies and officials to colonise and rob various parts of the world....as have other various military powers over the years. Or doesn't that count?

Elite voting for Remain : ...All sorts of people voted both ways, As a working class woman on a limited income does that make me elitist if I wanted to stay in Europe????
    I've certainly not had any living standards imposed on me except by my incomes and the policies of various UK governments. And I live in a pretty mixed area and believe me I live day to day with whatever life in the UK throws at me! I do not see that as a reason to [[mis)direct my anger towards other people though, certainly not on the basis on where they come from!
    "Invasion" is accurate. Millions of people are pouring into Europe illegally. No, this is not a military invasion but it is an illegal invasion. Who can blame these illegal aliens though? They leave poverty and oppressive societies seeking a better life. Often invasions are preceded by military conquest such as
    the European invasions of the Americas opening up lebensraum for the conquerers' peoples. However, there was little resistance by Europe so for the price of a ticket on a rubber raft, a better life can be achieved. Anything that is subsidized, expands. If it is Europe's choice to begrudgingly accept the invaders and provide for them, the result is that more will follow. That is Europe's choice.

Some non-Europeans do express the invasion as such: “We have 50 million Muslims in Europe,”“There are signs that Allah will grant Islam victory in Europe – without swords, without guns, without conquests. The 50 million Muslims of Europe will turn it into a Muslim continent within a few decades.” -Khaddafi

It's interesting that your sympathies side with the colonials against the UK. Your expressed loyalty doesn't seem to be to the U.K.. It sounds like you justify the invasion as the U.K.'s punishment for its former colonialism.

We have the same thing going on in the US. California is reverting to a hacienda economy where the elites advantage themselves partly by bringing in cheaper foreign labor caste forming a coalition between the elites lining their pockets and people they brought in as lower paid foreign workers legally or otherwise. US workers don't share the benefits of cheaper labor being brought in to displace them. That's Supply and Demand 101.
    Last edited by oladub; July-08-16 at 11:01 AM.