Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Thread: Hockey Dilemma

Default Hockey Dilemma

Now that the NHL has formally announced that my adopted home of Las Vegas will have a team, if I go to a LV-Detroit game, who am I supposed to root for????

[[Oh, shit, you know dang well I'll have my Red Wings shirt and cap on. I'm Hockeytown forever. But I sure am looking forward to the new franchise!)

The LV team will start next year [[2017-2018 season). They have a great, brand new 17,500 seat arena......just off the strip. Kinda behind the New York New York resort, if you're familiar with that area. Parking will be a problem; I suspect I'll park nearby and catch a cab the last mile or so.

Interesting that the Oakland Raiders are still very interested in moving that NFL franchise to Las Vegas, and the the MLB commissioner has stated that LV looks very enticing for a later expansion team. Hard to believe that Las Vegas began as a railroad waystation in 1905, when Detroit was already 204 years old!

Saw a few games, several years ago at the Orleans, Ray. Die hard hockey fans there. I think the NHL team will do well.
    Last edited by Bobl; July-08-16 at 07:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobl View Post
    Saw a few games, several years ago at the Orleans, Ray. Die hard hockey fans there. I think the NHL team will do well.
    Las Vegas Wranglers of the ECHL. The franchise folded as they were kicked out of the Orleans, who wanted their arena for other venues. I had season tickets. They played pretty good hockey, only the rock music during play stoppages made me deaf.

A few years ago when the NHL realigned itself into its current unbalanced format [[Two conferences, one with 14 teams and another with 16), the conspiracy theorist in me said that the only reason they did it was for league expansion. Seeing as the Western Conference has only 14 teams the logical cities would have been Las Vegas and Seattle, in my mind. Seattle is an obvious choice has it history with hockey and is a geographic rival with Vancouver. LV is a whole different animal however. I do think it will do well there as there are enough ex-pat snowbirds that will understand the game. Long time residents [[is there such a thing?) will latch on eventually. The spotlight of an actual BIG league sports team will be too hard to ignore. I was there in 2011 and actually went to a minor league baseball game. The cabbie had no idea a team actually existed and had to find directions. LV hockey will be just another entertainment draw. I'd love to go to a Red Wings game out there in the future, especially if it's in February!

Hard to believe that Las Vegas began as a railroad waystation in 1905, when Detroit was already 204 years old!
    Las Vegas has been amazing in it's growth over the last 70 years. but China has been building cities like that over the past 20 years that sit empty. Google - China ghost cities. Amazing and nuts at the same time.

Good to hear from you Ray, glad to know somebody has my back in Henderson.

Yaktown: "Long time residents [[is there such a thing?) will latch on eventually. "

Once in a great while I come across someone who was actually born and raised in Las Vegas, but they're rare. Seems like everyone is from somewhere else. I've been here 32 years now and am considered as a real old-timer by most in the area. Metro population is now well over 2 mil. And yes, it's really a dry heat.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray1936 View Post
    Yaktown: "Long time residents [[is there such a thing?) will latch on eventually. "

Once in a great while I come across someone who was actually born and raised in Las Vegas, but they're rare. Seems like everyone is from somewhere else. I've been here 32 years now and am considered as a real old-timer by most in the area. Metro population is now well over 2 mil. And yes, it's really a dry heat.
    My sons have been in LV and Henderson for 25 years. Grandson graduated high school last year [[commencement at Orleans). I liked the town better in the old days. The Sands was excellent! Looking forward to a Wings game there, though, in the dry heat.

The old days....30 years back, were much better. Free, delightful lounge shows everywhere, comps galore, and even free cigarettes. Now the bean counters are in charge and they're even charging for parking your car now. Much better in the mob days.