Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Former Chief William Hart

Many years ago when I was a youngster I remember law enforcement [[F.B.I?) finding over a million dollars in the ceiling of Chief Harts home. I remember it was on St. Aubin Street, does anyone have the exact address? I've always wanted to know how that home looked.

Quote Originally Posted by R.B.J View Post
    Many years ago when I was a youngster I remember law enforcement [[F.B.I?) finding over a million dollars in the ceiling of Chief Harts home. I remember it was on St. Aubin Street, does anyone have the exact address? I've always wanted to know how that home looked.
    I'm sure the money's been removed by now.

It was usually described in the press at the time as a "modest bungalow", so I'm not sure there was all that much to see. As I remember, some of the money was also supposedly used on his cottage on Lake Eire in Canada, out past my family's old home there, in one of the historically black beach resort areas in Kent County.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    I'm sure the money's been removed by now.
    LOL [[yes, really)

Wasn't a million dollars, was a low six-figure amount. Came from a fund that was to pay for police materal and improvements in Detroit. I'm still amazed that Bill Hart wasn't the honest administrator that I thought he was. He died some years ago after release from prison. Very sad story.

Me? I brought home the scotch tape dispenser that was on my desk for years when I retired, but that was it. And the statute of limitations on misdemeanors has long expired.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray1936 View Post
    Me? I brought home the scotch tape dispenser that was on my desk for years when I retired, but that was it. And the statute of limitations on misdemeanors has long expired.
    Oy vey! The corruption and theft in the DPD goes back decades! When will it end?? Just kidding, Ray. Thank you for all that you did for your city during your long career.

Thanks, Sy. They were good years. I don't regret one day of it.

DPD have a long lineage of hiring some real gems as Chiefs of Police. He probably wasn't the first, I'm sure he won't be the last.

I think Chief Hart served eight years in federal prison. As I recall, at trial he attempted to argue that he was not sophisticated enough to commit white collar financial crimes. He was not successful.

Wasn't a million dollars, was a low six-figure amount. Came from a fund that was to pay for police materal and improvements in Detroit. I'm still amazed that Bill Hart wasn't the honest administrator that I thought he was. He died some years ago after release from prison. Very sad story.

Ray, wasn't he involved in the Krugerrand thing with Mayor Young, too? I can't remember the entire story on that one.

Quote Originally Posted by jcole View Post
    Ray, wasn't he involved in the Krugerrand thing with Mayor Young, too? I can't remember the entire story on that one.
    Seems to me you're correct, jc, but....like you....I'll be darned if I can remember the details.

By the way, the Chief before Hart was Phil Tannian. Totally honest, and also the common sense of a cuckoo clock.

Quote Originally Posted by R.B.J View Post
    I believe it was 18155, second house from grixdale, you'll see on google or bing maps the second story that was added [[when the workman found money in the ceiling).
    Last edited by jesrf; June-17-16 at 02:13 PM. Reason: Correcting

Seems to me you're correct, jc, but....like you....I'll be darned if I can remember the details.

By the way, the Chief before Hart was Phil Tannian. Totally honest, and also the common sense of a cuckoo clock.
    Wasn't there a Bannon in there, too, or was he just the District Inspector?

Jim Bannon never made Chief; although in education, experience, and administrative capability he sure should have. He retired as "Executive Deputy Chief", or the #2 man in plain English. His wife, Rosemary, was well known in Detroit area business circles as well.

Jim Bannon never made Chief; although in education, experience, and administrative capability he sure should have. He retired as "Executive Deputy Chief", or the #2 man in plain English. His wife, Rosemary, was well known in Detroit area business circles as well.
    I remember that my dad was friends with him

Quote Originally Posted by jesrf View Post
    I believe it was 18155, second house from grixdale, you'll see on google or bing maps the second story that was added [[when the workman found money in the ceiling).
    Thank You!