Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Quote Originally Posted by IrishSpartan View Post
    It would be still in the Top 5 with the 1960 population and just barely outside the current Top 5 using the 1970 population, which was Detroit's final decennial year in the Top 5.
    To be fair, Detroit was #6 in 1980.

Quote Originally Posted by TTime View Post
    You make a valid point in regard to the population of those 3 cities. It really speaks to how much land is contained within Detroit proper. It's also really interesting to step back and look at the list because many of the towns with the largest populations don't have the skyline to match. Unfortunately for Detroit it doesn't have the the skyline or downtown to compete with the big boys and now it doesn't have the population either.
    Maybe I'm mis-understanding what you've said, but most of the cities in the top 10 for population, all have great skylines. NY, LA, Chi, Hou, Phil, Dal. Maybe the only exceptions are SA, Phx, San Jose and SD as I don't remember seeing theirs.

Quote Originally Posted by Cincinnati_Kid View Post
    Maybe I'm mis-understanding what you've said, but most of the cities in the top 10 for population, all have great skylines. NY, LA, Chi, Hou, Phil, Dal. Maybe the only exceptions are SA, Phx, San Jose and SD as I don't remember seeing theirs.

Phoenix is physically huge,... like Detroit. And has a smallish number of skyscrapers,.. like Detroit.

SanDiego has a big-ish downtown,.. with lots of high-rise buildings, and more being built all the time. And a big bridge going over to a cool island in the harbor. Then the super-cool gas-lamp district,.. Balboa Park,.. the massive marinas. WAY happening place. For sure you've seen the downtown in movies.
    Last edited by Bigdd; May-21-16 at 07:42 PM.

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/opi...roit/84727840/

This article is very consistent as to what I've been posting:

1). Detroit is a city on the comeback. It now makes sense [[and dollars and cents) to invest in it.

2). The strength of the effort has been mostly in core areas such as downtown, Midtown, etc. and select other areas.

3). The next step is for more neighborhoods to become revitalized.

It should be very obvious which development is/has come first and which is second. Clearly, downtown/midtown is leading the way and then the neighborhoods are following. It also appears that the 'stronger' neighborhoods will lead the neighborhoods back. Neighborhoods will be tough because, as posted many times, Detroit has a very large land area.

The big question for folks in Detroit is 'how fast?" One poster suggested it took 60 years for Detroit to hit bottom and could take another 60 years to comeback to whatever level it is capable of being [[again).
    Last edited by emu steve; May-22-16 at 05:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by emu steve View Post
    Detroit has a fraction of the population it used to [[graphs are powerful tools), but
    population is but one component of what a city is.

Many cities have more population than Detroit but what else do they have?

Detroit is a de-populated great city [[hoping to start re-populating this year) with a lot that other cities do not have.

What does San Antonio have [[beside population)?
    Having lived in San Antonio and Detroit, I can tell you that you may live within the city limits of San Antonio and not have to worry about home invasions and all your stuff disappearing without your neighbors seeing a thing. Also the riverwalk, pretty nice people, and a low cost of living. Also if you like the sun, they have plenty of that.
    Last edited by Lombaowski; May-22-16 at 11:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post
    El Paso is a small city that barely has any population growth. It's basically "Rust Belt" for Texas standards of growth. The city population is surprisingly large because basically the entire metro is within city limits.

I doubt too many people are moving to El Paso for outdoor recreation or weather. El Paso gets snow and cold, and is mostly surrounded by the Sonoran desert. It's a city dominated by Mexican Americans and military folks, or people with interests in adjacent, much larger Juarez, which is a hellhole.
    Juarez is to El Paso what Detroit is to Troy. They are two very different cities separated by fences and a river, and the lifestyles are very different. El Paso has one of the lowest violent crime rates of any medium-sized city in the country, while Juarez is one of the most dangerous cities in North America.

Additionally I'm not sure where you came up with your conclusion that people aren't moving there for the outdoor life or weather, that's you just assuming you know anything. The two largest demographics moving to El Paso are retirees, and Mexican Americans. Also the average annual high temperature is 77, Detroit's is 56. They have some snow and cold, but it's pretty much confined to December and January and the average daily high in January is 58.

The more you know...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4