Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

jft- Almond Boneless Chicken is a Detroit thing??? That's it. I'm never leaving.

Quote Originally Posted by gazhekwe View Post
    I like Wing Hong and it is right near me. The only thing is, lately there isn't a even a whiff of almond in the almond boneless chicken. The family that owns it lives in the neighborhood as well. There used to be this old gentleman doing Tai Chi in the driveway early mornings when I was headed to work.
    Almond Boneless Chicken [[Detroit style) is typically referred to as War Su Gui [[war-su-guy) outside of Michigan. Different chefs cook it differently, so you can't count on consistency across establishments. Our family lost touch with the Hong's several years ago. Their family was very nice people for sure. Mr. Hong and my father became engineering study partners at LIT. Mr. Hong needed help with english, and my father was literally the only one who helped him.

Lucky Kitten at Cass and I-75 service drive.

gravitymachine Guest

red star in dearborn, any meat item can be substituted with a gluten/soy based alternative, seasoned in the same way for all the vegetarians

Won Hung Lo - 2343 Marble Lane - Centerline, MI
    Known for their "Lamb Fries" marinated in secret sauce.

Mr. Fujiyama's Rickshaw Palace - 9761 E. Lemon Street - Novi, MI
    Fried rice is dynamite, but the delivery is somewhat slow.

Rung-Rung No Wok Bang-Bang House of Chin - Originally indside Eastland Mall, but now it runs out of a converted ice cream truck.
    Just about everything is terrible.

China Buffet 9 - Your local corner.
    After nine facelifts, they may have gotten this one right finally. Try the Kitcat soup..... it's delicious.

Quote Originally Posted by TKshreve View Post
    Won Hung Lo - 2343 Marble Lane - Centerline, MI
    Known for their "Lamb Fries" marinated in secret sauce.

Mr. Fujiyama's Rickshaw Palace - 9761 E. Lemon Street - Novi, MI
    Fried rice is dynamite, but the delivery is somewhat slow.

Rung-Rung No Wok Bang-Bang House of Chin - Originally indside Eastland Mall, but now it runs out of a converted ice cream truck.
    Just about everything is terrible.

China Buffet 9 - Your local corner.
    After nine facelifts, they may have gotten this one right finally. Try the Kitcat soup..... it's delicious.
    Uh, real mature here TK... want to continue other ethnic slurs such as African Americans' desire for watermelon and fried chicken too?

http://www.snopes.com/horrors/food/chinese.asp

Golden Harvest on 12mile in Warren. 2 menus 1 Americanized and the 2nd is authentic Chinese with some really different items.

The East Lake Restaurant, on Rochester Road at Long Lake Road in Troy, is very good and pretty authentic... although they do also offer almond boneless chicken for those who don't really like Chinese food.

I like Moy's and Golden Harvest too.

Dragon Palace on Michigan Ave just west of Telegraph is really good, and they deliver. Best General Tzo's Chicken I've ever had, and they have a lot of menu items I've never seen at other restuarants. I can't really guage how authentic some of the other menu items are as I'm really only accustomed to Americanized Chinese food.

I really like New Peking in Garden City. Very good sizzling rice soup, Mo Shu Pork, and Peking Beef. The place is always crowded.

If it's still there - and I assume by this link that it is - and if it's still as good as it was as of the time I left Michigan 8 years ago - this is hands-down, no-place-else-ever-comes-close, the BEST Chinese Buffet I have ever been to anywhere.

Ming-Wahs, on 12 Mile and John R.

http://www.urbanspoon.com/r/19/23459...-Buffet-Warren

The variety and selection can't be beat. Table after table of different items. My wife and I used to eat there often. We have found a place here in Arizona that is also very good, but even so we still miss Ming-Wahs.

I'm hungry for Chinese food now.

Go to Ming-Wahs and you won't need to eat for 2 days afterwards.

China House in Mexican Town. 4.50 for lunch, you can't go wrong.

Hong Lok Lau on 12 mile east of Mound is absolutely awesome. Super fresh produce and meats. The business is run by a whole family and they are really nice and friendly to their guests. You even used to see the grandmother snapping peapods at a side table. They used to serve food for a lot of the GM Tech Center employees but it looks like the traffic has decreased. I try to give them my support as a longstanding family business.

Wing Hing Inn on 9 mile in Ferndale. We've patroned that place for years and have never been let down. A very close second is China Ruby; we would go their all the time but the last meal we got from them had cabbage-based egg rolls and the wife is not a real big fan of those.

Looks like we are all pretty luck 'round these parts because we have such a great amount and quality of Chinese food vendors.

I used to love the almond chicken at Kow Kow on McNichols near Woodward when I was a U of D student in the 80s. It had a delicious dark garlicky sauce I've never had anywhere else. I went back there about 10 years ago and it was almost as good as I remembered it, though the chicken was a bit freezer-burned. I read that they had a fire there a while ago. Did they ever reopen?

I've wanted to duplicate that sauce at home. Does anyone know the secret? Do they use dark soy sauce or something?

detroitjim Guest

A new place that just opened recently
    Takee Outee
    east side of Van Dyke between 696 and Martin
    Large portions, fair prices

Blarf Guest

This place at 11ish and Harper called Mayflower. Suburb.

Quote Originally Posted by Blarf View Post
    This place at 11ish and Harper called Mayflower. Suburb.
    Is that suburb or superb or both?

Wow. Dozens of restaurants and not a single one in Detroit. No wonder I haven't been able to find a single great place in the city - there doesn't appear to be one.
    Great Wall by Tiger Stadium and Ho Ho's in SW are nasty and loaded with MSG. Panda in SW is OK, but it's not great. New China 1 in New Center is better than it sounds, but no better than average.
    Sad.

I was talking to a professor that was writing a book on American dining habits [[yet to be published) but he was noting the trend in Asian restaurants that the mom & pop places are disappearing. It seems as though more Chinese restaurants are now small chains and the stand alone sit down places are becoming rarer.

According to him, back in the 50's Chinese food was the new trend along with the faux Polynesian food [[prime example would be the Chin Tiki), it waned in the 60's, and there was a surge with Szechuan food after Nixon went to China. Over the years, we've noticed Thai food taking a firm foothold here [[was "Pad Thai" even in most of our vocabularies in the mid 80's?) and as of late Vietnamese & Korean shops opening up too.

Chinese food has been a part of our Detroit culture here for so long, it's now evolved into this new Pan-Asian flavor with the likes of Pei Wei and the Mon Jin Lau's take on Chinese food.

Default Good Chinese Food

Try Golden Chopsticks. [[9 1/2 and Jefferson. St.Clair Shores.

Default I'm doing a "no-no"---dredging up an old thread! :)

Yeah, I'm dredging up an old thread. Reasoned it would be better than creating yet "another" Chinese Food thread. So sue me, but I just had to post this review
    of a Chinese restaurant I just tried:

Yah, it's long-winded, but if you're on the lookout for good Chinese cuisine, you may find it interesting.........

Moy's has been at their Grand River location [[just east of Orchard Lake) for a few years now, but we never tried them 'til last night.

Wow, were we impressed! We ordered WonTon soup, Pan-Fried Dumplings, Beef w/Peapods, Yung Chow Fried Rice, and House Special LoMein.

WonTon soup: Best ever! Not just a couple of won tons in clear broth. The broth contained sliced peapods, sprouts, shallots, and razor-thin pork, with a hint of black pepper. Also, a generous amount of wontons!! We got the large version, and it was packed with wontons....not just 3 or 4 sitting at the bottom of a quart of clear broth. Served with triangular-sliced rice noodles, also excellent.
    Pan-Fried Dumplings: I call these the Chinese equivalent of a Pierogi, but with thinner dough. Outstanding, and the sauce provided just amplified the other ingredients.
    Beef w/Peapods: Absolutely delicious. The sauce is to die for, and again, very generous with the beef. Ordered this as a "combination'....the house fried rice was
    wonderful, and the eggroll was one of the best we've had in a long time.
    Yung Chow Fried Rice: Hands down, the best "house special/happy family" type rice I've had in this area. Huge chunks of chicken and beef, decent-sized shrimpies [[not that tiny canned crap), mushrooms, sprouts, sliced peapods. Volume-wise, I think these ingredients actually eclipsed the amount of rice. Poured a
    bit of the dumpling sauce on, and it was Heaven on Earth!
    House Special LoMein: Very good, I just wish they used a thicker noodle, instead of the Ramen type. Could have used a bit more sauce, but very tasty nonetheless. Generous portions of the "good stuff": chicken, beef, shrimp....and just enough fillers like baby corn, carrot strips, broccoli, peapods, etc., to keep it colorful and interesting.

Moy's storefront doesn't exactly jump out at you, but don't overlook this diamond in the rough. Damned tasty stuff !!!

Golden Bowl in Oak Park. 9 mile and Coolidge

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast