Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 24 of 27 FirstFirst ... 14 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 LastLast

From yesterday:
    http://www.buildingsofdetroit.com/si.../0212demo3.jpg

The skyline already looks VASTLY different. And check out that awesome view from the federal courthouse steps of an ugly parking garage. Don't forget you have two huge surface-level parking lots in front of you - and another parking garage on your right.

I don't like that ugly brutalist garage behind it.

This thing about gone yet? The rate they were ripping through it I though it would be gone by now.

What is the debris cleanup timetable?? Are there funds already set aside for the "park" that is going to be put there?

Quote Originally Posted by mikeg19 View Post
    This thing about gone yet? The rate they were ripping through it I though it would be gone by now.

What is the debris cleanup timetable?? Are there funds already set aside for the "park" that is going to be put there?
    No, it still looks about like this:
    http://www.buildingsofdetroit.com/si.../0212demo4.jpg

The largest remaining section of the building is adjacent to or connected to another low rise building [[Lafette Coney Island). I'm assuming the demolition has slowed to reduce the risk of damage to the other buildings.

Here's a good bet that the rest of the Lafayette Bldg. comes down about 2:30 a.m. tonight. It's lit up like a Christmas tree again, just like when they brought down the rest of the northern tower. The lights at night can mean only one thing.

Quote Originally Posted by buildingsofdetroit View Post
    Here's a good bet that the rest of the Lafayette Bldg. comes down about 2:30 a.m. tonight. It's lit up like a Christmas tree again, just like when they brought down the rest of the northern tower. The lights at night can mean only one thing.
    If your getting video make sure to wear a mask and have the car door open and ready to jump in this time.

If your getting video make sure to wear a mask and have the car door open and ready to jump in this time.
    I'm not going to make it this time, sadly. I'd love to be there to say goodbye, but my girlfriend is flying back from California in the wake of our place being burglarized. I have a feeling my hands will be dishing out tissues, not snapping photos tonight.

Moreover, it's regretful that people are building buildings in other places meanwhile in Detroit there are available ones. In efficient use of resources, esp since half of the new buildings are 'LEED certified.' There should be a LEED requisite that requires you find an available building first.

^ Be careful throwing around the LEED term. It's just an awards and measurement system. It's not an incentive.

False alarm. They just brought down a chunk over Lafayette Blvd. Foreman says east wall will be down Tuesday.

Esp1986, thank you for your contributions to the exchange of ideas here on this open forum.
    Quote Originally Posted by esp1986 View Post
    I did no such thing. I was merely passing on the information I heard and saw. And thanks to you, next time I hear anything I will make sure I keep to myself. Here we simply discuss ideas based on facts... and that is all I am doing. I heard a statement of fact, and chose to discuss it, but apparently since I am not an engineer, I am not qualified to do what everyone else on this site does. Just because you are an engineer doesn't make you above all else like you want to be. We are simply trying to have a spirited exchange of ideas here and you continually cut people down saying their comments lack merit. I am sorry I am not an engineer, but it doesn't always take an engineer to state the obvious. And, yes, I know the Lafayette was salvageable, in the end it wasn't about the structure, it was about the money, something I know quite a bit more about.

In Response To:

Originally Posted by ghettopalmetto
    You're not a licensed Professional Engineer, either, but that never stopped you from giving free engineering advice, or as state regulations call it, "practicing without a license".
    Last edited by Zacha341; February-20-10 at 08:01 AM.

Yes, I drove by there and it will not be long. Another flat land soon. Perhaps they will put up another one of those rip-off parking lot that triples its rates depending on what event is occurring downtown.
    False alarm. They just brought down a chunk over Lafayette Blvd. Foreman says east wall will be down Tuesday.

bartock Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    Esp1986, thank you for your contributions to the exchange of ideas here on this open forum.
    Amen...if we limited discussions of city finances to finance people, politics to those who hold office, structures to those who are licensed engineers, legal issues to those in the law, city fabric to those who are urban planners, designs to those who are architects, etc., what would be the point? Those with perhaps specialized knowledge in certain areas can politely share theirs without being impolite. Thanks for the updates.

Quote Originally Posted by bartock View Post
    Amen...if we limited discussions of city finances to finance people, politics to those who hold office, structures to those who are licensed engineers, legal issues to those in the law, city fabric to those who are urban planners, designs to those who are architects, etc., what would be the point? Those with perhaps specialized knowledge in certain areas can politely share theirs without being impolite. Thanks for the updates.
    I agree. I am a civil engineer. If someone wants to criticize or suggest the design of a work of engineering like a bridge or a highway, I will try to explain why it was designed a certain way or what changes to their suggestion might be necessary to make something feasible, but I wouldn't criticize them for their comments.

I retain the right to refer to the works of the musicians on this forum as noise pollution without the comment being made that I am not a musician and am not allowed to say anything at all about music..

)) [[[[ Hands Clapping! )) [[[[

Precisely! Thank you Bartock for your insightful comments....

Last edited by Zacha341; February-20-10 at 03:35 PM.

Wow! It will not be long now.........

Sounds like it might be coming down tonight. Here are some photos from Sunday.

http://fadeddetroit.blogspot.com/201...ing-going.html

Quote Originally Posted by leland_palmer View Post
    Sounds like it might be coming down tonight. Here are some photos from Sunday.

http://fadeddetroit.blogspot.com/201...ing-going.html
    DAMMIT. I knew I should have stopped by today before work, but I don't have transportation.

RIP Lafayette.

Is that part of the wall curved a little bit?
    http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_2uL9b4oOko...100221_050.jpg

It does have a curve. Made for a very interesting elevator lobby on each floor. The David Whitney has a similar curved wall along the elevators

Anybody going down to get pictures/video?

Anybody going down to get pictures/video?
    I'll be there and trying to rally some friends to capture the collapse from different angles like we did on our last video [[http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EIgWUMdcQxI). Will head down after work about 11. If I see movement, I'll stick around. If not, I'll probably go to the bar for a few hours. I'm betting it doesn't fall until after 2 a.m., based on past nighttime collapses.

I agree wholeheartedly. By the same token, one has a responsibility not to spread flat-out lies when certain information is beyond the scope of their knowledge. Yes, it does take a licensed engineer to declare a building "structurally unsound", just as a licensed physician is required to provide a medical diagnosis. Public health and safety isn't subject to the court of public opinion.
    Last edited by ghettopalmetto; February-23-10 at 09:03 PM.

Page 24 of 27 FirstFirst ... 14 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 LastLast