Quote Originally Posted by MikeyinBrooklyn View Post
So, now that we know the name of the new arena, we will be losing a significant community landmark named for a real landmark Detroiter, Joe Louis. Gordie Howe will be getting the bridge named after him. Rosa Parks got the bus station. Many former mayors have things named for them. Should we name something else for Joe Louis? If so, what?

Also, any other great Detroiters we should be naming things for? Athletes, artists, political or religious leaders?

I'd think I'd rename the RiverWalk the Joe Louis Riverwalk, with a series of information kiosks and/or sculpture every half mile or so, telling his life story from one end of the esplanade to the other.

I do hope the UA Theatre will be reopened as a music venue and be named for Aretha Franklin.
Yes, excellent idea, an example would be the Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Promenade in San Diego; the walkway begins at Petco Park – home to the San Diego Padres – and winds through the tourist sections of downtown San Diego, namely the convention center and the infamous Gaslamp Quarter, this location is the best the city has to offer.

The entire route is lined by palm trees and open space for picnicking; however, the treasures are at one’s feet. There are dozens [[literally) of historic MLK quotes that are engraved in plaques all along the pathway. I’ve never seen such a large collection of Dr. king’s quotes. It gave me an insight into the totality of Dr. King’s thoughts. There is more, various works of art adorn the walkway, paying tribute to the wisdom of this peaceful warrior.

Name:  img_0263a-two-people-walk-side-by-side-down-the-martin-luther-king-jr-promenade-in-downtown-san-.jpg
Views: 703
Size:  112.7 KB

Name:  img_0283a-the-ultimate-measure-of-a-man-is-not-where-he-stands-in-moments-of-comfort-and-conveni.jpg
Views: 692
Size:  113.3 KB