Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Nice! Excited to have something besides overpriced bad pizza at Ciccarelli's before Pistons games this season.

Quote Originally Posted by EGrant View Post
    Nice! Excited to have something besides overpriced bad pizza at Ciccarelli's before Pistons games this season.
    Yeah, but the NBA has approved 'overpriced bad basketball' at LCA this year.

That basketball would be the Pistons.

Quote Originally Posted by emu steve View Post
    Yeah, but the NBA has approved 'overpriced bad basketball' at LCA this year.

That basketball would be the Pistons.
    Have you seen prices for the Wings? Pistons costs don't seem so bad compared to what fans have to play for that abysmal hockey roster.

Here is an aerial 360 degree panorama I made from a flight on Sunday.

http://www.360cities.net/image/little-caesar-s-arena-detroit-michigan#310.50,28.60,70.0

Quote Originally Posted by SetecX View Post
    Here is an aerial 360 degree panorama I made from a flight on Sunday.

http://www.360cities.net/image/little-caesar-s-arena-detroit-michigan#310.50,28.60,70.0
    This is awesome. Been playing with it for a while.

This is the type of drinking establishment which should cause concern to establishments like Harrys. LCA patrons, and others, have options.

For those who believe in marketing principles [[location, price, etc.) this should be interesting to see how this Biergarten and Harry's do head to head for patrons who are outside the arena.

And for those who posted on the price on concessions inside LCA, a patron can get a beer inside LCA, outside LCA, at Harry's or somewhere else [[hopefully not in their car, though).

https://twitter.com/LCA_Detroit/status/897097685068640256
    Last edited by emu steve; August-14-17 at 01:50 PM.

They have taken the interior web cam down from the DistrictDetroit web site. Maybe some things they don't want the public to see between now and the opening.

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    They have taken the interior web cam down from the DistrictDetroit web site. Maybe some things they don't want the public to see between now and the opening.
    The last thing I saw, they had the scoreboard up and were testing it. They had some video of the Wings. Maybe running through the game day graphics? Or PAINTING A LOGO ALL OVER THE ICE

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    http://www.earthcam.net/projects/ili...terior_archive

My father and I drove past Little Caesar's Arena this past weekend and we both agreed that with only 28 days before the Kid Rock concert, it still looks like there is a lot of work left to do [[especially the exterior, most notably around Woodward and the Fisher service drive). I am by no means an expert in construction management, but is the arena going to be 100% completed come September 12th or will there be certain areas of the arena that will still be worked on to prepare for the upcoming NHL/NBA seasons?
    Last edited by warsaw7; August-15-17 at 08:17 AM.

warsaw7,
    I think the arena will be ready enough for the upcoming events. But I suspect some work will continue for the rest of the year. As a person who has lived in a home under construction, I am sure it is very doable. The addition of the Pistons reportedly caused both some design changes and a little alteration of work already completed. A happy problem to have I would say. We should also remember that this project is physically conjoined to structures that are not the actual arena itself, and they are working outward. So it will take a good chunk of time longer than building a free standing, more straightforward arena.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeyinBrooklyn View Post
    warsaw7,
    I think the arena will be ready enough for the upcoming events. But I suspect some work will continue for the rest of the year. As a person who has lived in a home under construction, I am sure it is very doable. The addition of the Pistons reportedly caused both some design changes and a little alteration of work already completed. A happy problem to have I would say. We should also remember that this project is physically conjoined to structures that are not the actual arena itself, and they are working outward. So it will take a good chunk of time longer than building a free standing, more straightforward arena.
    I think that's the best way to put it. I would imagine the arena itself, with concessions, bathrooms, restaurants, etc, will be up and operational come the Kid Rock concert, although maybe the concessions in a limited capacity. All of the offices on the outside of the arena will probably be a work in progress for the rest of the year, as well as some of the other features.

But damn does it seem like they are cutting it close. I'd think they would like to have a buffer in the construction schedule to test out the HVAC, plumbing, electrical, A/C systems, among others. If a major issue arose at this point, it might not allow for a fix.

But I also think the Kid Rock concerts are basically a soft opening for the stadium to work out the kinks before you open the NBA and NHL seasons a few weeks after.

I agree with the comments above.

Kid Rock seems to be a soft opening followed by the beginning of the Wings' home exhibition season. Not much they can do. The NHL clock is running...

And I definitely agree that things like the outside including landscaping, etc. etc. won't be done for some time.

What is the status of the parking garages? Will either or both be serviceable in a month?

I'll try to find the article, but in D.C. the Nationals' owners sued the city [[2008) and withheld initial payments claiming the stadium was not done on time.

Lot of these construction projects are literally trying, trying, trying to get it done on time. For the Wings and Pistons there is no turning back. Got to be ready to go next month. That also was a reason why the legal action necessary to begin construction was so important. Posters have indicated that the contractors are using two shifts plus overtime to try to keep the project on schedule.

I wouldn't be surprised by time outside work is done, clean up is done, landscaping, etc. etc. we might be looking at spring, 2018.

I suggest we'll know when the arena is substantially complete: When we see the corner of Woodward/Henry devoid of work vehicles.
    Last edited by emu steve; August-15-17 at 10:27 AM.

They have crews working around the clock, 12 hour shifts. They've had construction crews from out of state helping since the project started and just brought in more. It will be ready by our standards. Heck, they still had people working at Comerica two years after it's first event. And let me tell you, I've seen pictures and video's thru most of the process and it is impressive.
    Last edited by Maof; August-15-17 at 02:36 PM.

I opened a new restaurant once a number of years ago, and the owner booked a high-profile event for the place, before we'd even had a "soft opening." When I asked him why he would stick his neck out like that, he replied that the event in question was a better deadline than any arbitrary date he would have told the construction & design team.

I've worked on [[4) Four Stadiums/Arenas in my career. I've been working on this project for almost 2 years now...it's amazing what will happen in the last 30 days of a project. They will be 'open' for the first event. Work will be ongoing for a few months on punch list and close out items for the Arena.

Like mentioned above; the Outbuildings/Offices, Parking Garages, Restaurants, Apartments, Lofts, Etc. are all private funding and have different ownership/tenants and will not affect the Arena opening. Last Week's press release mentioned that the restaurants will be open for Kid Rock.

Quote Originally Posted by 313rd View Post
    I've worked on [[4) Four Stadiums/Arenas in my career. I've been working on this project for almost 2 years now...it's amazing what will happen in the last 30 days of a project. They will be 'open' for the first event. Work will be ongoing for a few months on punch list and close out items for the Arena.

Like mentioned above; the Outbuildings/Offices, Parking Garages, Restaurants, Apartments, Lofts, Etc. are all private funding and have different ownership/tenants and will not affect the Arena opening. Last Week's press release mentioned that the restaurants will be open for Kid Rock.
    Excellent. Thank you.

I have some questions about your 2nd paragraph:

Aren't the parking garages, lofts, etc. part of the Ilitch group in terms of funding, etc.???

I drove by this morning and saw what appeared to be a pretty big neon sign with the Wings and Pistons logos overlaid. I wonder if that is going to go on the exterior? There seems to be steel framing for a massive blade sign on the Woodward frontage.

I would have a snapped a photo but, like I said, I was driving.

Quote Originally Posted by Infrastructure View Post
    I drove by this morning and saw what appeared to be a pretty big neon sign with the Wings and Pistons logos overlaid. I wonder if that is going to go on the exterior? There seems to be steel framing for a massive blade sign on the Woodward frontage.

I would have a snapped a photo but, like I said, I was driving.

Here is a link to a picture.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BX0qkvjj...picturedetroit

kind of related
    https://www.instagram.com/p/BXyJ40ng...istrictdetroit

Eddystone gets a washy

Quote Originally Posted by SammyS View Post
    kind of related
    https://www.instagram.com/p/BXyJ40ng...istrictdetroit

Eddystone gets a washy

Looks good!

Will windows be next to improve the appearance before formal restoration begins?

it's getting closer.....the ice is ready!

Wish they would ditch the "HOCKEYTOWN" text on the logo at center ice. Makes no sense that they'd cover up the winged wheel with that goofy text.

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast