Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Hybrid View

Definitely home building in neighborhoods outside of downtown and midtown. If that happens it will signal that families are moving back in, not just us onesie twosies.

Quote Originally Posted by detroitsgwenivere View Post
    Definitely home building in neighborhoods outside of downtown and midtown. If that happens it will signal that families are moving back in, not just us onesie twosies.
    This.

Has there been a nice uptick downtown? Absolutely. But new homes in the neighborhoods would mean the city of Detroit as a whole was growing again.

Default Would Not Send My Dog To DPS

The dysfunctional and crooked school system called DPS would turn off any family considering moving to Detroit. The Yuppies are great, and have turned the ghost town known as downtown, into a promising area. Midtown is hot as well – except Spain elementary. Attracting families is not on the horizon; families will never move to Detroit – en masse – as long as the public schools are decrepit, crooked, and seem to hire their administrators right out of the parole office.

Quote Originally Posted by SDCC View Post
    The dysfunctional and crooked school system called DPS would turn off any family considering moving to Detroit. The Yuppies are great, and have turned the ghost town known as downtown, into a promising area. Midtown is hot as well – except Spain elementary. Attracting families is not on the horizon; families will never move to Detroit – en masse – as long as the public schools are decrepit, crooked, and seem to hire their administrators right out of the parole office.
    Chicago Public Schools is not far behind. The difference is that they have many private and parochial school options for the yuppies who have kids.

Quote Originally Posted by BankruptcyGuy View Post
    Chicago Public Schools is not far behind. The difference is that they have many private and parochial school options for the yuppies who have kids.
    The path to good schools in Detroit does not lie in public schools, regardless of the money thrown at it. I think Michigan should use Detroit as a pilot all-choice city. Let all government money for K-12 education in Detroit follow the kids to whatever school will take them. Incorporate the current public schools that don't close as separate not-for-profits run by a board made up of parents and teachers. Since the schools are both terrible and broke, there is no downside. If it leads to better results for kids, expand it statewide.

Would Not Send My Dog To DPS
    Why send him? He could probably score a job there and you'd be drawing extra income for your household.

Default Potential Felons Need Only Apply

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    Why send him? He could probably score a job there and you'd be drawing extra income for your household.
    They don't seem to have a very high threshold as far as ethics or integrity is concerned, he might have a shot.

To the perpetual haters - Chicago48, Bham82, TTime

Nobody is saying the whole city or even most of the city is COMING BACK. My neighborhood, Warrendale, is still in slow decline. The vast majority of neighborhoods from Dexter-Davison to Brightmoor to Conant Gardens to Boynton to Old Redford are stagnant or falling still.

All of us cheerleaders are cognizant that it is just a SMALL part of the city that is coming back. Downtown, Midtown, Corktown, East Riverfront, the Villages. Neighborhoods like University District, Rosedale Park, East English Village are relatively steady.

All of us cheerleaders know that DPS is still terrible, that property tax rates are still high, that incidence of violent crime is still high and has not shown consistent decline. We can still be happy about the few areas that are growing. Nobody's trying to sell you on Highland Park's or Jefferson-Chalmer's renaissance, so please stop making it seem like people are trying to convince you that the majority of the city is getting better and that the population of the city is growing again and that its a great place for families.
    Last edited by masterblaster; April-22-16 at 10:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by masterblaster View Post
    Don't forget to add the U.S. Census Bureau, the Bureau of Labor Statistics, and the Bureau of Economic Analysis to your list of "perpetual haters". Any organization dealing in data and factual, nonpartisan narratives should also be added.

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post
    Don't forget to add the U.S. Census Bureau, the Bureau of Labor Statistics, and the Bureau of Economic Analysis to your list of "perpetual haters". Any organization dealing in data and factual, nonpartisan narratives should also be added.
    But you totally disregarded, per usual, the rest of his post that said the city isn't growing.

And you do disregard the real fact that Detroit's CBD-downtown, midtown, and New Center-is seeing development and work on a scale never before seen in our lifetime. Everything that came undone, density, an active downtown core, shops, the "unsafe" mindset, is being reassembled.

Are we New York? Chicago? Toronto? Hell no, but we are definitely not Detroit 1990-2008 and to me and most people that is progress and a "comeback", albeit small.

Building a streetcar, moving businesses downtown, adding residential units would never have thought possible in 1995.

Nobody is saying the whole city or even most of the city is COMING BACK. My neighborhood, Warrendale, is still in slow decline. The vast majority of neighborhoods from Dexter-Davison to Brightmoor to Conant Gardens to Boynton to Old Redford are stagnant or falling still.

All of us cheerleaders are cognizant that it is just a SMALL part of the city that is coming back. Downtown, Midtown, Corktown, East Riverfront, the Villages. Neighborhoods like University District, Rosedale Park, East English Village are relatively steady.

All of us cheerleaders know that DPS is still terrible, that property tax rates are still high, that incidence of violent crime is still high and has not shown consistent decline. We can still be happy about the few areas that are growing. Nobody's trying to sell you on Highland Park's or Jefferson-Chalmer's renaissance, so please stop making it seem like people are trying to convince you that the majority of the city is getting better and that the population of the city is growing again and that its a great place for families.
    Hater? Ha, I'm just your definitely necessary reality check. First off, I don't agree with your list of steady areas at all but to generalize, this town has some great qualities and in time it will hopefully be a nice place to live. My problem occurs when idiots constantly blow the city over things that should be expected or if they inflate the truth I'm going to call BS...plain and simple. This town has a long, long way to go and I don't think back patting of any kind is warranted. I also have to point out that while many think this race to improve is simply a competition against our very recent past, we are also in competition with every other city in the U.S. and unfortunately for us they are improving at a faster pace...just one man's opinion and if you truly think you are doing great things it shouldn't bother you in the least.
    Last edited by TTime; April-22-16 at 04:10 PM.

Yes, midtown, downtown etc., nice. Got that, but this does not help life in the 'hood' where the remaining population strives. We still have strong, viable areas, but many neighborhoods, east and west continue to decline and are becoming enclaves of 'police don't go there' crime. Seven mile for example is rough, relative to violence and car jackings [[especially at the gas stations) from the far east to west!

Nobody is saying the whole city or even most of the city is COMING BACK. My neighborhood, Warrendale, is still in slow decline. The vast majority of neighborhoods from Dexter-Davison to Brightmoor to Conant Gardens to Boynton to Old Redford are stagnant or falling still....

People younger than 50 have never known a time when Detroit wasn't "coming back."

I have heard great things about Chrysler Elementary in Lafayette Park.
    It scores an 8 out of 10 according to the following website
    http://www.greatschools.org/michigan...entary-School/

In addition, there are several great high schools - Cass Tech, Renaissance, Detroit School of Arts, Communication & Media Arts

Default It is still all about the children

I have heard great things about Chrysler Elementary in Lafayette Park.
    It scores an 8 out of 10 according to the following website
    http://www.greatschools.org/michigan...entary-School/

In addition, there are several great high schools - Cass Tech, Renaissance, Detroit School of Arts, Communication & Media Arts
    Renaissance High is a shining light - Star - in the city of Detroit. I'm not just speaking of the local or state level, I'm talking nationally. Renaissance is an excellent school, as is Cass Tech, however comparing the two schools side by side, Renaissance scores much higher [[almost double in some rankings) than Cass Tech. Cass Tech is another great school, but by far Renaissance is firmly in 1st place - Bravo.
    The majority of the other schools in DPS did not do so well, however, I would like to see clean, brightly lite classrooms, with sanitary bathrooms that are completely functional, in a building that has adequate supplies, and is safe and structurally sound, prior to me ranking, or criticizing any students.

Name:  download.jpg
Views: 1290
Size:  5.6 KB
    Last edited by SDCC; April-22-16 at 12:42 PM.