Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by DeLemur View Post
    Anyone else notice all the ugly mustard New York license plates around town lately? I see one ever other day.
    I see at least 5/6 of those license plates everyday.
    I personally deal with about 5-10 people, a month, from NYC, looking for properties

In today's article on the eastern market expansion, Dan Carmody talks about how the food economy is big in Brooklyn...not sure why that matters, but I guess he thinks Brooklyn and Detroit are somehow related.

Many are probably metro Detroiter's returning back home.

Name:  image.jpeg
Views: 98
Size:  46.7 KBI'm sure everyone's already heard , and most knew it was coming so here you go .
    even more proof
    http://www.freep.com/story/money/bus...area/84810856/
    Last edited by Detroitdave; May-24-16 at 03:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by bust View Post
    Calexico will be a welcome addition downtown. Better than a Shake Shack. And I think they'll do great [[a Shake Shack would probably do great too).

But if you're from California, temper your expectations. Calexico got their start in Soho, not long ago, during food truck cool. Now they have a concession stand in the Barclays Center. Popular, for sure. But the people who rave about it aren't Mexican, and few have been in New York long [[nor are they from California). They've probably never been to a Mexican restaurant in Corona, Elmhurst, or Sunset Park — places where many Mexicans [[still) live. And they're likely to say Habana serves their favorite Cuban food. Come to think of it, Calexico opened their food truck a few blocks from the first Habana, and Habana has a concession stand in the Barclays Center too...

That's ok. A fine meal is great on occasion, it can be fun to cook something nice at home, and I appreciate authenticity but it shouldn't be a requirement for good food. As long as it's fairly healthy and tastes ok, I'm not fussy. Calexico may not be my favorite, but it fits the bill.

It's interesting that of all places they could have expanded Calexico chose Detroit. Habana chose Malibu and Dubai. Are Calexico's owners originally from the Detroit area? It could really be someone has an interest in moving. Or was it strictly a business decision? It's not at the top of the list, but I do hear people in New York talking about Detroit, more and more. Even if the joke usually places Philadelphia as NY's next borough.
    I've never eaten at Calexico, but I think Mexican food in general is something that gets worse as you go east. I've never had Mexican food in NYC that was better than what you can get in southwest Detroit.

If I recall correctly, there was also a Habana location in Mexico City.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2