Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by 48307 View Post
    From another thread... I hope his source is good.
    How much change though is the question. I assumed there would be a Broderick-esque tower given that there are 250 units of residential. That will be a welcome addition but doesn't strike me as completely skyline altering.

Quote Originally Posted by southen View Post
    How much change though is the question. I assumed there would be a Broderick-esque tower given that there are 250 units of residential. That will be a welcome addition but doesn't strike me as completely skyline altering.
    Remember we have a 15-18 story limit to how much the underground parking garage can hold on top. Now granted it could be done if they made some major alterations to the underground area... but that's not goint to be easy.

Now if Dan Gilbert wants downtown retail to succeed, then he better plan on some sort of streetwall retail on the Hudson's block. Nothing messes a retail district up worse than large gaps of non-retail dead space [[just look at Woodward in Foxtown area)... and Hudson's is a looooong block.

Even though it was engineered for 15-18 stories I doubt Dan would allow that to restrict what goes there. I would have thought that for the contest he held that he would have added that as a condition to the designs if it was something that he thought would really limit the final product. We shall see.

I agree about the streetwall and retail presence. I think he and his team will be all over that though given the push they have made for retail on Woodward already.

Even though it was engineered for 15-18 stories I doubt Dan would allow that to restrict what goes there. I would have thought that for the contest he held that he would have added that as a condition to the designs if it was something that he thought would really limit the final product. We shall see.

I agree about the streetwall and retail presence. I think he and his team will be all over that though given the push they have made for retail on Woodward already.
    I think you're going to see something in the 60-75 story range on one portion of the site.

Quote Originally Posted by Mind field View Post
    Well that's anticlimactic. I was hoping for a first in Michigan retail reveal, or maybe a large tenant moving downtown. A building mural? Big deal.

Yeah i know total bummer. Especially when it is the work of world class artists and not local super artist "Shades." But I understand why you would be disappointed.

Even though it was engineered for 15-18 stories I doubt Dan would allow that to restrict what goes there.
    I know DG is a man with few limitations, but I highly doubt he's going to rip out the underground garage and completely re-engineer the site to accommodate a taller building. I'd think it'd be much cheaper, if he wanted to build taller, to start on a vacant site rather than all the added costs in re configuring the Hudson's site.

Quote Originally Posted by eliboyer View Post
    I think you're going to see something in the 60-75 story range on one portion of the site.
    Well he has already stated that he is putting 250 residential units which is what the tower will be. That means by your prediction there will be 3-4 units of residential per floor? As much as I would like to see something that tall it just doesnt make sense.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeg19 View Post
    I know DG is a man with few limitations, but I highly doubt he's going to rip out the underground garage and completely re-engineer the site to accommodate a taller building. I'd think it'd be much cheaper, if he wanted to build taller, to start on a vacant site rather than all the added costs in re configuring the Hudson's site.
    From what I had read before, and this was mostly speculation, was that you could reinforce the structure without tearing it out to add height. He has negotiated for the garage, so that is going to stay, but I think they will engineer things so that you can go above 18 stories and make more of a statement. I imagine something in the 25-30 range.

So is this announcement going to happen before Memorial Day?

From what I had read before, and this was mostly speculation, was that you could reinforce the structure without tearing it out to add height. He has negotiated for the garage, so that is going to stay, but I think they will engineer things so that you can go above 18 stories and make more of a statement. I imagine something in the 25-30 range.
    Well no shit?! Didn't realize it would be that easy to do so. Hell, reinforce away and throw up a nice 30 story building.

Quote Originally Posted by 48307 View Post
    From another thread... I hope his source is good.
    Which thread would that be?

Quote Originally Posted by gumby View Post
    Which thread would that be?
    Here's a link to his or her comment, it's from the Red Wings Arena thread: http://www.detroityes.com/mb/showthr...316#post499316

There is no reason for a building that tall. Not only should new buildings be shorter in Downtown [[10-15 floors), if for some reason there becomes the demand for taller structures, they should be built further east and west along the river to build upon the skyline.

I would like to see more density, but I don't think we need to only build tall buildings along the river for that "postcard" shot of the skyline. If someone wants to build up for residential there is nothing wrong with that. Demand is extremely high and it wouldn't empty any of the surrounding buildings. Now if someone built a 60 story office tower right now my concern would be that it would drain currently occupied buildings, which would be bad for downtown as a whole.

Why are people on here keep saying there's no market for a 30 story residential building or any new construction? Do you guys research, do you know the market downtown?

Downtown can support several 30 story new construction buildings, including what's in progress now as far a renovations of existing structure's. There's little to none abandon buildings left downtown. New construction is definitely needed.

The Hudson site doesn't necessarily need a 30 story building, maybe 18 story building will do. Now, the Monroe and Bate lots can support it, plus it will be more visible. The west and east downtown has plenty of surface parking lots to build on, around Greektown and the MGM area.

The former Hudson's site doesn't need a tall highrise on it but maybe 5 stories no more than ten being that the site is a very large plot of land

Quote Originally Posted by stasu1213 View Post
    The former Hudson's site doesn't need a tall highrise on it but maybe 5 stories no more than ten being that the site is a very large plot of land
    5-10? You're joking? Hudson's was 25 stories. They should build as close to that height as possible, if not taller. A 5 story building downtown would be outrageous.

There must be some sort of ego drive involved with the desire for tall buildings. Building lower and spreading the density around will benefit the city more. A city is not a skyline. A city is what you see and experience at ground level.

Quote Originally Posted by ekleezy View Post
    5-10? You're joking? Hudson's was 25 stories. They should build as close to that height as possible, if not taller. A 5 story building downtown would be outrageous.
    On the Hudson site no less.

confirmation that's disappointing.

Do they feel they will get some commercial benefit on social media by using NY artists? I would think it would make more sense to use Detroit artists, not only for the artists' benefit, but to promote the city as a growing artists destination.

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    Do they feel they will get some commercial benefit on social media by using NY artists? I would think it would make more sense to use Detroit artists, not only for the artists' benefit, but to promote the city as a growing artists destination.
    No. Bringing major international artists to Detroit will promote the city as a growing artists destination and thereby promote the artists already living here, and providing them with more opportunities.

With that said, this mural won't do that, nor will anything with "Q" or "Rock" attached to it.

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    Think of it this way... They brought Diego Rivera to Detroit from Mexico to do the murals at the DIA. Supporting local artists is good and should happen, but that doesn't mean you cant bring in international talent as well. Detroit's art scene should be a good mix of the two.

I didn't realize they even started on the mural and it's already completed. http://deadlinedetroit.com/articles/...n#.VxqJfMX3anN

And here we are, approaching the end of April, and we still have no Hudson's site announcement.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast