Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

You can watch your donut being made at Krispy Kreme. Best donut ever for the 1st bite. By the 3rd bite you're wondering how you're going to finish it.

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    You can watch your donut being made at Krispy Kreme. Best donut ever for the 1st bite. By the 3rd bite you're wondering how you're going to finish it.

There were so many Dunkin' Donuts at one time and then, they all disappeared at the Tim Horton onslaught in Quebec anyways. Then, Krispy Kreme came about and opened quite a few stores in Montreal metro, and most of them closed within a couple of years. Must have cost a pretty penny.

All those Dunkins opening in Detroit is good news for the dialysis departments at DMC and Henry Ford Hospitals I guess... lotsovlaffs.

Quote Originally Posted by canuck View Post
    All those Dunkins opening in Detroit is good news for the dialysis departments at DMC and Henry Ford Hospitals I guess... lotsovlaffs.
    That's right, Drunkin' Doughnuts are MI's job CREATORS!
    Last edited by Honky Tonk; March-18-16 at 10:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    That's right, Drunkin' Doughnuts are MI's job CREATORS!
    Yup value added jobs in biotech, Life sciences and medicine is what the future is all about. Now let's make ourselves sick and take turns boosting that industry.

Yup value added jobs in biotech, Life sciences and medicine is what the future is all about. Now let's make ourselves sick and take turns boosting that industry.
    Knowing Snyder like I do, I bet he took Mi's film industry incentives, gave them to Drunkin' Doughnuts to open more stores, so he could increase MI's life sciences and medicine industry!

Quote Originally Posted by Bigdd View Post
    The doughnuts at Dunkin aren't quite as stale as the ones from Tim Hortons,.. but they're not worth stopping for.

The bacon, egg & cheese sandwiches however are terrific.

I found it funny to learn that both Horton's and Dunking make the doughnuts elsewhere, and bring them to the store in boxes. Then they lay them out on the wax paper like places do that actually MAKE doughnuts. That's done so the grease will run off and not drip on the ones below. At Hortons and Dunkin,.. the paper is dry after they bag up your doughnuts,.. because they were like a day or three old when they went on there.

http://www.chicagobusiness.com/artic...oughnut-bakery

Quite a different story at Dutch Girl or The Doughnut Cutter.

Another tragedy occurred in the Summer of 2012 when Baskin Robbins stopped making ice cream. [[They closed their last ice cream factory then). Now it's imported stuff,.. and doesn't have the same consistency. I would wait all year for the pumpkin pie flavor to come around.

Where did all the good stuff go? Sob.....

Well,.. at least we can still get good doughnuts at The Doughnut Cutter at 10.5 and Woodward,... and we can import good ice cream from Ohio.
    is anyone else disturbed by this...no wonder obesity is an epidemic

Dialysis! Hah!

A city that can survive 100+ marijuana dispensaries can certainly survive a donut or two here and there!! But I digress... I think the average citizen will be fine if you only have them ONCE in a while!

Thank goodness I tend towards very expensive pastries [[which certainly I cannot afford) so that cuts down on my carb/ sugar intake significantly......

As someone else mentioned DD is just frozen stuff, not even fresh-made --- just ok, as so-called pastries just for a one-off treat. I do sorta like their sour dough, but no hankering....

Thank goodness for once a year cider mills where you can get fresh donuts, hot! That's enough of an indulgence I guess.

Last edited by Zacha341; March-19-16 at 05:28 PM.

Maybe we can adopt the New York style of monitoring the intake like they do with their pop sizes! We pick our poisons and the government chooses which poison to ban!!! And which ones to allow, and where.

Quote Originally Posted by hybridy View Post
    Last edited by Zacha341; March-18-16 at 09:54 PM.

Wow! Haven't thought of Looney Bakery in ages. Worked in that area for a few years!

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    YES!!! Looney Bread! I could go face down on the counter top from consuming the stuff. I try to stop and grab a treat from the Looney Bakery when I'm out that way.
    Last edited by Zacha341; March-19-16 at 07:06 PM.

All those Dunkins opening in Detroit is good news.
    Yes it is.

It's yet another in what are many small steps the city needs to take towards becoming normal again. Every other major city in American has way more than 1 Dunkin Donuts, and so should a city Detroit's size.

Quote Originally Posted by hybridy View Post
    People become obese when they OVEREAT.

Eating a ton of sodium / sugar-heavy foods in itself doesn't make anyone fat, as long as you don't go over your caloric maintenance.

Until the last 50 years or so, people used to digest a lot more crap, such as lard, and eat much larger portions of food than we do today. Yet, people back then were all still in very good shape
    Last edited by 313WX; March-19-16 at 07:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    Yes it is.

It's yet another in what are many small steps the city needs to take towards becoming normal again. Every other major city in American has way more than 1 Dunkin Donuts, and so should a city Detroit's size.
    There are many great cities without a single Dunkin Donuts. It is not the litmus test for vibrant urban cities.

Quote Originally Posted by detroitsgwenivere View Post
    Wasn't there Dunkin Doughnuts stores here in Detroit years ago? Did they bug out on us or am I mistaken?
    If I recall correctly there was a Dunkin Donuts on Plymouth Rd near the Southfield Fwy, across from the K-Mart that was converted into a mega-church. I think Dunkin Donuts slashed many/most of its locations outside of New England back in the 1990s.

Quote Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
    If I recall correctly there was a Dunkin Donuts on Plymouth Rd near the Southfield Fwy, across from the K-Mart that was converted into a mega-church. I think Dunkin Donuts slashed many/most of its locations outside of New England back in the 1990s.
    I think you're right. It became a Detroit Donut for a good while.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    ^^^ Ah, another vote for how bad Tim Horton's coffee is. Dunkin Donut far superior!
    They must have changed their blend, Tim Hortons coffee is terrible.

About 20 years ago there was a Dunking Donuts on Joseph Campau in the old Famer Jack shopping center. When they changed from Dunking Donuts to Detroit Donut, I figured they just learned all the Dunkin Donut secrets and then stopping paying for the franchise.

I believe there was one at Warren and Evergreen that doubled as a gas station for a while. It went from Dawn Donuts to Dunkin to an independent with a Dunkin' style logo. Haven't been down there in a long while, not sure what it is now. The last owners when I still frequented the spot were really good people.

For the last four years their coffee has been bad from the bean. Cannot be made right not matter how much sugar or cream added!

Quote Originally Posted by softailrider View Post
    They must have changed their blend, Tim Hortons coffee is terrible.

I've enjoyed Tim Horton's.

I don't remember one there, but I do remember one at Greenfield and Schoolcraft that I used to go to. Also Grand River near Outer Drive.

Best donut ever was/is their Apple Cinnamon.

Name:  DD1.JPG
Views: 356
Size:  70.1 KB

Grand River and Grandville.

I can't pick the one out on Greenfield. Might be a liquor store/check cashing place or might have been leveled.

Another old one at Plymouth Road and Penrod:

https://goo.gl/maps/dn5JhYmiBZx

Back in the day, Dunkin donuts had a rich, morning blend, type of coffee. Great stuff! Better than most places!

i miss yumyum donuts, there used to be a few in detroit. now i think theres one in taylor on telegraph.

another vote for donut cutter and dutch girl here.

every time i've been to dunkin the donuts were stale. why bother?

also check out ye old bake shoppe on warren+inkster. one of the last old school cookie/bread/donut shops.

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    Until the last 50 years or so, people used to digest a lot more crap, such as lard, and eat much larger portions of food than we do today. Yet, people back then were all still in very good shape

ummm...i kindly disagree
    http://abcnews.go.com/WN/food-portio...tory?id=129685

50 years ago...people didn't sit in a desk chair all day, didn't eat out often. i agree it was the onset of overly processed food though. WONDER BREAD

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast