Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Sign A Petition To Bring A Health Inspection Grading System To Michigan!

Let me start by saying that this is a class project and my grade depends on your signatures. I also didn't know where else to share this. With that said, I am really passionate about this idea and I would like to see it brought to Michigan.

Basically, restaurants in New York and Los Angeles are graded by how many health code violations they have [[they would receive either an A, B, or C) based on how sanitary they are and how many health code violations they are infringing upon. Since The two locations began grading their restaurants they have seen a huge decrease in food-borne illnesses, like salmonella. I would like a similar grading system brought to Michigan because over the past few years Michigan's restaurant and food related industry has grown drastically, and unfortunately, not every food establishment is serving food at regulated temperatures or adhering to quality sanitation practices.

If you are at all interested in seeing this issue gain traction, then please take 30 seconds to sign this petition at http://chn.ge/1pcPmad

If you want anymore information about this issue please visit the website I created for it, here: http://www-personal.umd.umich.edu/~harpam/

Thank you for your time, and please share this link and information with anyone you can.

California does not count on anything really.

Food safety standards and guidelines are set by the federal government,it is the responsibility of the state to enforce those guidelines.

The goal would be to step up the enforcement and inspection to ensure compliance,that takes funding.

In Fla where I am at the state receives enforcement funding from the actual restaurants when they apply for license,when I first started building food trucks 7 years ago there was one inspector for the state,there are now 5 per county.They are also starting to charge $45 per inspection to help defray costs.

Because of my business I am in many different eating establishments and if the public knew how things were the industry would be crushed.

One local by me that has been in business for over 40 years recently received another 200 violations for the 4th time,basic stuff,proper food temperatures and actual roaches running across product while being prepared.

Anyways,the standard is already set,it is the enforcement that is the meat and potatoes of protection between the consumer and the establishment,it is a serious issue that is causing needless death across the country,it should not even need a second thought.

I wish you luck in your project.