Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default Cashless Payments Only Becoming More Common

Probably a commentary on my age, but I don't like the fact that sporting events, concerts, etc. are all going cashless. They spin it as "customer service", which is of course nonsense. When I take cash out of my pocket and fork over 8 bucks for a coke, which is just water, ice and a little syrup, I'm much more aware of my expenditure than when I tap my card. Of course this is another reason for it - the venues don't want you thinking about how much you're being ripped off. It's ironic people go along with it and yet the U.S. will not get rid of the very expensive to produce penny, which Canada did years ago.

I'm not ready to take the mark of the beast.

Last concert I went to,Rolling Stones,was held at the sports stadium,they did not take cash for a lousy beer,the guy behind me ended up buying me a beer,I think it was more so to get the line moving again.

It does say legal tender.

City of Philadelphia passed a law saying businesses cannot reject cash transactions,was in IKEA ,bought a bag of meatballs while paying cash,walked 10’ to buy a hot dog,they did not except cash,in the same store.

I do not do business with the ones that will not take cash.

There is an investment house here with 5000 employees,they gave the option of having a chip installed in their hand,gave them excess to the building and could buy from the cafeteria and vending machines,the amount that volunteered is appalling.

It’s the younger generation that thinks it is cool to be able to have a chip installed that has your banking information and everything else into your hand because it is convenient all it took to entice them was to have the ability to buy a soda with the swipe of their wrist.

They do not stop to think about in the future when it comes convenient for others to do nefarious things.

Canada did a lot of things that we do not follow just because they did,if Canada stripped everybody of their rights with the stroke of a pen should we also have that ability?

If you take the penny away things would even be worse,most that go cashless do not know the concept of - A penny saved is a penny earned,they would never know what luck is because they would never see a tails up penny on the ground etc.

They would never understand the concept of saving up the pennies in order to have dollars.

It’s a bit more complicated then just getting rid of the penny.

I am more aware of my expenditures when I pull cold hard cash out because you can physically see and touch it and understand it’s value,numbers in numbers out on a plastic card has little meaning,you are trading your physical time for the ability to move numbers around in the digital world.

Also when a disaster hits and you need to buy something while there is no power,you are out of gas,food and anything else you need to survive without cash.

In the real world cash is still king.

The worst part of it is?

When you buy something you cannot negotiate the price with a piece of plastic,you pay full price,so it is an expensive way to live for that convenience.

Not to even mention there are extra fees involved when using plastic and people do not understand why they are broke all the time because they do not understand the basics of saving pennies.

They want money and more of it but they do not understand the basic value of it because they never see it.

Plus you will never know what others are thinking anymore,because without pennies,you will not be able to offer one for their thoughts.
    Last edited by Richard; March-27-23 at 02:50 PM.

But you'll be told it's good for you and the planet ......

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    I'm not ready to take the mark of the beast.
    Last edited by Zacha341; March-27-23 at 06:43 PM.

Cashless payments have gotten steadily more convenient, so it's hardly surprising they are becoming more common. I find cash irritating, so I probably don't use cash more than a handful of times a year, except for making sure I have a quarter for the shopping carts at Aldi.

Good arguments for both sides of the coin, but you're missing the most important one. They can keep tabs on where you've been, what you've bought, and how much you've spent.

And they can decide with a flip of a button if you can have a excess to it or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    And they can decide with a flip of a button if you can have a excess to it or not.

If any of these milenials would visit China, they'd never use qr codes or apps to pay ever again.

Once we go cashless, not only can they switch you off, restrict your movements, they can take part or all of your pay.

They've been doing that for 4-5 years now in China, where they say you "donated" 1/3 of your paycheck to the CCP. Poof. No way to protest.

Say something they don't like? Your app doesn't work, and you starve because you can't buy food.

And most times it's NOT convenient. Paying with a card or an app in a restaurant is MUCH slower than with cash. Your bill is $15.49 in a restaurant? Just toss a $20 down and leave.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket View Post
    If any of these milenials would visit China, they'd never use qr codes or apps to pay ever again.

Once we go cashless, not only can they switch you off, restrict your movements, they can take part or all of your pay.

They've been doing that for 4-5 years now in China, where they say you "donated" 1/3 of your paycheck to the CCP. Poof. No way to protest.

Say something they don't like? Your app doesn't work, and you starve because you can't buy food.

And most times it's NOT convenient. Paying with a card or an app in a restaurant is MUCH slower than with cash. Your bill is $15.49 in a restaurant? Just toss a $20 down and leave.
    That’s what Canada did during the truckers strike,they froze the truckers bank and credit card accounts so they could not buy fuel in order to participate in the strike.

People that supported the strike online were visited by the police and threatened with having their financials frozen so they would not be also able to buy fuel for the truckers in support.

People think it will never happen,but it does all of the time and it happens that fast.

Here when you buy lottery tickets it is cash only and I do spend more time waiting in line when people swipe cards that do not work or have problems everywhere else.

Interesting recently there was a run on a bank where people previously thought their money was safe and in that moment in time they realized how vulnerable they were.
    Last edited by Richard; March-28-23 at 10:04 AM.

Tap and pay at your local strip joints. Tap and pay, not pat and pay. All contactless transactions.

Yep. That got MY attention: financial institutions et al deputized to confiscate/ block ones income/ savings at the behest of federal command.

No due process.

Easy for some to justify or not think about if not re. their cause, or issue, or thoughts [I'm not doing or saying anything wrong to worry].

Then you look up and then you are targeted [Um, what happened?]...

That’s what Canada did during the truckers strike, they froze the truckers bank and credit card accounts so they could not buy fuel in order to participate in the strike.
    Last edited by Zacha341; March-28-23 at 11:35 AM.

Uh-oh! Not sure how dat's gonna work out! I guess the bouncers will be happier with less folks, um, getting carried away.

Quote Originally Posted by canuck View Post
    Tap and pay at your local strip joints. Tap and pay, not pat and pay. All contactless transactions.
    Last edited by Zacha341; March-28-23 at 11:33 AM.

That’s what Canada did during the truckers strike,they froze the truckers bank and credit card accounts so they could not buy fuel in order to participate in the strike.

People that supported the strike online were visited by the police and threatened with having their financials frozen so they would not be also able to buy fuel for the truckers in support.

People think it will never happen,but it does all of the time and it happens that fast.

Here when you buy lottery tickets it is cash only and I do spend more time waiting in line when people swipe cards that do not work or have problems everywhere else.

Interesting recently there was a run on a bank where people previously thought their money was safe and in that moment in time they realized how vulnerable they were.

lol x 1000

At least, our feds didn’t go full Waco siegey on them. Heck, take away my credit card for a month, don’t kill 86 people who "stand their ground".
    Just sayin’. Democracy.

It was safe. It's called FDIC. People lining up at the bank looked ridiculous. If it wasn't safe because you can't count on the Federal Gov't then the cash would be worthless anyway.

lol x 1000

At least, our feds didn’t go full Waco siegey on them. Heck, take away my credit card for a month, don’t kill 86 people who "stand their ground".
    Just sayin’. Democracy.
    Guns recently passed car accidents as the leading cause of death among children in the United States. Richard must be very proud. Of course guns don't kill people.

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    It was safe. It's called FDIC. People lining up at the bank looked ridiculous. If it wasn't safe because you can't count on the Federal Gov't then the cash would be worthless anyway.
    It’s about perception it does not matter the reality of it.

Like the perception of a bunch of truckers in protest, were so much of a danger to the public,that one needs to strip every citizen of their rights in the entire country,in order to combat that threat.

But was that strike that much of a danger to the entire country that it warranted that reaction.

FDIC same principle they created a worse case senário in their minds and reacted accordingly.

The older generations remember the stories of their grandparents that lost everything in the world when they market crashed,most these days have never had to wake up one day only to discover they had nothing left and no means to get anything.

Take one second to think what you would do if all of the sudden you lost access to your financials,if you think carrying cash around is a inconvenience,how about if is the only way you will survive the next day with gas and food and ability to do anything.

You cannot say it does not happen,it does everytime there is a disaster,stick your plastic in the drawer for a week or two and see what happens.
    Last edited by Richard; March-28-23 at 02:25 PM.

Looks like #1 is "Accidents" according to the CDC. Not to minimize the gun deaths, just trying to keep it factual.

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    Guns recently passed car accidents as the leading cause of death among children in the United States. Richard must be very proud. Of course guns don't kill people.
    Guns do not kill people,it’s actually the projectile that comes out of the barrel that causes the damage .

When you become a lawless society more people die through acts of violence because

More people become lawless.

I did not vote to become a lawless society,those that did are learning about cause and effect.

Not sure what it has to do with a cashless society,I guess it boils down to morals and values,in a cashless society,people do not value cash or the work that goes into acquiring it,so they become shiftless with time on their hands then turn to violence because they do not have anything else to do.

Quote Originally Posted by mkd View Post
    Looks like #1 is "Accidents" according to the CDC. Not to minimize the gun deaths, just trying to keep it factual.
    https://www.npr.org/2022/04/22/10943...th-in-children

Methinks we should tell Richard there’s a buck to be made, another sideline for him if he starts a "National Munitions Lobby Group". He’ll need to defend the people’s use of the darned bullets that are the culprit in the gun slash criminal equation. I’m not kidding, there’s another angle to exploit.

He’s not wrong, apart from his other astute observation about humans being the ones behind the gun, and of course, jails and prisons are filled to the gills with lawless ones. Good luck with that…

Follow the link on what and who is causing it

https://www.npr.org/2022/01/28/10763...ldren-pandemic

The children are becoming the cause and effect of what surrounded them.

They did not create the violence that resulted in their deaths,they were victims of those around them,when you allow violence a pass then bad things happen as a result.

Hmmm... Personally, I'd prefer door number #3: Freedom.

Without the authoritarian slant presented in both models [death vs. confiscation].

lol x 1000

Just sayin’. Democracy.
    Last edited by Zacha341; March-30-23 at 11:37 AM.

New technology being tested at the stadium here.

Wall of soda reach in coolers with racks of chips etc.

A bank of câmaras above and sensors in the bottle caps,the chip racks sense when you pick up a bag of chips because of the weight of them.

When you pick the stuff up,it puts it in your virtual cart and as you pass through the exit gate from the little food court,it automatically excesses the card stored on your phone or Apple Pay and checks you out.

I can imagine they could do the same with beer,a sensor in the tap that automatically reads what you pour and adds it to your virtual cart,kinda like restaurants and bars already have in use where as soon as your drink is poured it is automatically added to your tab.

It shows how fast this stuff is being implemented and how fast the technology is advancing,all of these supermarkets that spent millions implementing the cashier less check out machines,they are allready obsolete.

It will be as soon as you pick up an item from the shelf to add to your real cart,it’s already added to your virtual cart and just by walking out the door you are charged.

I guess if one wants to shoplift,they have to leave their electronics and wallets in the car otherwise they will be charged for the items.
    Last edited by Richard; March-30-23 at 08:14 AM.

New technology being tested at the stadium here.

Wall of soda reach in coolers with racks of chips etc.

A bank of câmaras above and sensors in the bottle caps,the chip racks sense when you pick up a bag of chips because of the weight of them.

When you pick the stuff up,it puts it in your virtual cart and as you pass through the exit gate from the little food court,it automatically excesses the card stored on your phone or Apple Pay and checks you out.

I can imagine they could do the same with beer,a sensor in the tap that automatically reads what you pour and adds it to your virtual cart,kinda like restaurants and bars already have in use where as soon as your drink is poured it is automatically added to your tab.

It shows how fast this stuff is being implemented and how fast the technology is advancing,all of these supermarkets that spent millions implementing the cashier less check out machines,they are allready obsolete.

It will be as soon as you pick up an item from the shelf to add to your real cart,it’s already added to your virtual cart and just by walking out the door you are charged.

I guess if one wants to shoplift,they have to leave their electronics and wallets in the car otherwise they will be charged for the items.

Eventually, newborns will be implanted with microchips at birth.

^ Hah. Said chip automatically tied to what you touch [thereby billing you automatically] may perhaps stop thieves walking out with shopping carts full -- otherwise undeterred.
    Last edited by Zacha341; March-30-23 at 12:02 PM.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast