Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Thread: Paging Gazhekwe

Hybrid View

Default A Different Kind of Dream Cruise

Working with the Jay Treaty --

Border Agents in Detroit give me a hard time when I give them my Tribal ID trying to cross into Canada or come home. At the International Bridge, they don't bat an eyelash.

So for a different kind of Dream Cruise today and tomorrow, a flotilla of Indian canoes crosses the Detroit River.

Aug19-Aug21 2011 : AIM Canoe Border Crossing and Traditional Pow Wow Belle Isle Park and Council Point Park, Lincoln Park, MI

The Coast Guard kept watch for the canoeists as three freighters passed by during a crossing.

Name:  299173_2319988487104_1471304528_2625151_2820488_n.jpg
Views: 776
Size:  34.6 KB

NOTE: In the Jay Treaty of 1794, it states that Indians on either side of the border retain the right to move freely back and forth across the border, the so-called “free passage” right.

Here in the US, that right is freely extended only to Indians born in Canada, per the Immigration and Naturalization Act. Every now and again, someone will challenge this.

Bill Miller with some wonderful music to celebrate the Border Crossing Dream:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wnktDYOt-zs
    Last edited by gazhekwe; August-19-11 at 04:24 PM.