Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

^^^ What the security officer or the Grille?

Maybe I'm mistaken, but I always thought the Avenue Of Fashion, although centered around the 7 Mile/Jivernois corner, extended up Livernois to Outer Drive. I bring this up because the AoF website says it runs to 8 MZile.

Quote Originally Posted by pkbroch View Post
    Robinhood Grille was on the East side of Livernois South of Eight Mile.

I remember going there when we lived in Sherwood Forest. I remember three days after the riots it was open and there was a guardsman in combat gear sitting in the door drinking a coke. It only lasted a few years after the riots.
    I thought it was still open way after that. I thought it closed about 10 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by douglasm View Post
    Maybe I'm mistaken, but I always thought the Avenue Of Fashion, although centered around the 7 Mile/Jivernois corner, extended up Livernois to Outer Drive. I bring this up because the AoF website says it runs to 8 MZile.
    There was stuff past there, but I would say the real Avenue of Fashion ended about St. Martins.

Quote Originally Posted by pkbroch View Post
    Robinhood Grille was on the East side of Livernois South of Eight Mile.

I remember going there when we lived in Sherwood Forest. I remember three days after the riots it was open and there was a guardsman in combat gear sitting in the door drinking a coke. It only lasted a few years after the riots.
    I had heard stories of the riot reaching the Ave of Fashion. I am surprised that the riot was able to reach that far north being the type of neighborhood the Avenue of Fashion went through. I would think that such as Grosse Pointe, the surrounding communities would had helped the police keep it from spreading there

there need to be more stores especially basic need stores that will drawn out the money that is in the area. No more cheesy flea market like or low quality retail

I don't recall there being any actual rioting or looting on the Avenue of Fashion; there certainly couldn't have been much damage or I would have noticed, but there was supposedly a sniper on top of Merchandise Mart [[now Pet Supplies Plus). As you can imagine, people were very nervous, and there were all kinds of rumors.

This development is a good start. However, to truly make that area more viable, more residential needs to be built on Livernois itself. I've said this in other threads in the past that the configuration of Livernois as a commercial strip is wrong. Commercial activity should be along Seven Mile. However, when development came along that area, developers decided to put housing along Seven Mile east of Wyoming and west of Woodward. Along the rest of Seven Mile it's commercial with the side streets feeding into Seven Mile. The feeding of the side streets into Seven Mile allows for more pedestrian and vehicle traffic, which increases the flow of customers going to the commercial and retail shops in the area.

Livernois, along the Avenue of Fashion area, does not have residential streets that easily flow into it [[Outer Drive is the only exception). Therefore, there's not much foot traffic from residents in the area. Now, build residential along the Avenue of Fashion and you'll have a reason to build a coffee shop and/or bakery because you'll have the people living right there who will want to shop close to where they live.

BTW, that building along the north side of Seven Mile and Livernois [[ which is now a church) really needs to lose about six feet of its southern wall. That stretch of sidewalk of Seven Mile, opposite the new development, is very narrow and too close to vehicle traffic. An addition set back would improve that area. Also, opening up that section of street to retail that faces Seven Mile could do wonders to improve pedestrian traffic. So basically, the building needs to be torn down and a new development with ground floor retail needs to go up.
    Last edited by royce; February-21-18 at 03:39 AM.

During the riots, the Merchandise Mart store, located on the east side of Livernois between 7 mile and Clarita, was burned to the ground and was re-built shortly thereafter. That was [[as far as I could tell) the only riot activity in the Livernois - 7 mile area, as there were national guards everywhere. The old Merchandise Mart store was a white brick building with narrow windows.

Quote Originally Posted by royce View Post
    This development is a good start. However, to truly make that area more viable, more residential needs to be built on Livernois itself. I've said this in other threads in the past that the configuration of Livernois as a commercial strip is wrong. Commercial activity should be along Seven Mile. However, when development came along that area, developers decided to put housing along Seven Mile east of Wyoming and west of Woodward. Along the rest of Seven Mile it's commercial with the side streets feeding into Seven Mile. The feeding of the side streets into Seven Mile allows for more pedestrian and vehicle traffic, which increases the flow of customers going to the commercial and retail shops in the area.

Livernois, along the Avenue of Fashion area, does not have residential streets that easily flow into it [[Outer Drive is the only exception). Therefore, there's not much foot traffic from residents in the area. Now, build residential along the Avenue of Fashion and you'll have a reason to build a coffee shop and/or bakery because you'll have the people living right there who will want to shop close to where they live.

BTW, that building along the north side of Seven Mile and Livernois [[ which is now a church) really needs to lose about six feet of its southern wall. That stretch of sidewalk of Seven Mile, opposite the new development, is very narrow and too close to vehicle traffic. An addition set back would improve that area. Also, opening up that section of street to retail that faces Seven Mile could do wonders to improve pedestrian traffic. So basically, the building needs to be torn down and a new development with ground floor retail needs to go up.
    The side streets in Ferndale, Royal Oak, and Birmingham don't feed easily into their main strip either but they still have plenty of foot traffic. One of the reason why not much foot traffic is not coming out of the surrounding upscale communities is because their are no good stores along Livernois that will draw traffic to them saving a pet stire, Good Housekeeping, and one or two restaurants. I think that a second much larger coffee shop such as Starbucks will be the beginning of the draw. Narrow Way Coffee is doing great there but Starbucks could be on the other side of 7 mile or on 7 mile rd itself near the intersection of Livernois

Quote Originally Posted by stasu1213 View Post
    there need to be more stores especially basic need stores that will drawn out the money that is in the area. No more cheesy flea market like or low quality retail
    You got that right, the quality of retail on that street for the last 30 years has been a complete joke.

Quote Originally Posted by stingbeelee View Post
    During the riots, the Merchandise Mart store, located on the east side of Livernois between 7 mile and Clarita, was burned to the ground and was re-built shortly thereafter. That was [[as far as I could tell) the only riot activity in the Livernois - 7 mile area, as there were national guards everywhere. The old Merchandise Mart store was a white brick building with narrow windows.
    During the 1967 riots I lived in Sherwood Forest on Stratford. The area of Livernois north of Seven Mile was not burned, but severely looted. Rose Alkon, Belle Jacob, and Cardinals had front windows smashed and 1000's of dollars worth of clothing taken. Several jewelers were hit although their windows were small and most stock taken out during the weekend. B Siegel and Company had a piece of concrete thrown through their front window, and several men's stores were broken into and looted.

The Merchandise Mart was looted but the main fire was caused by exploding spray paint cans and other flammables, by nine o' clock it sounded like artillery fire. The Guard did not show up until it was over, the next morning. The whole incident on Livernois happened on Sunday afternoon, the next day it was calm on Livernois/Seven. Even though the buildings were intact several small family owned businesses never reopened. Several others relocated to Somerset, built shortly after.

I will never forget the smell of the smoke from The Merchandise Mart on that hot Sunday evening.

I sincerely hope Livernois can be rejuvenated. The surrounding area can use the retail and services that can be located there.

The side streets in Ferndale, Royal Oak, and Birmingham don't feed easily into their main strip either but they still have plenty of foot traffic. One of the reason why not much foot traffic is not coming out of the surrounding upscale communities is because their are no good stores along Livernois that will draw traffic to them saving a pet stire, Good Housekeeping, and one or two restaurants. I think that a second much larger coffee shop such as Starbucks will be the beginning of the draw. Narrow Way Coffee is doing great there but Starbucks could be on the other side of 7 mile or on 7 mile rd itself near the intersection of Livernois
    The main reason there isn't more foot traffic is that people aren't used to walking to shop anymore, and it isn't that hard to park most of the time, and, as you say, the shops that are there don't appeal to everyone and don't draw people to walk down the street to multiple shops. I don't really think the orientation of the streets has much if anything to do with it, but Royce and I have gone over this point before and I don't think either of us is going to change our mind.

Quote Originally Posted by mwilbert View Post
    The main reason there isn't more foot traffic is that people aren't used to walking to shop anymore, and it isn't that hard to park most of the time, and, as you say, the shops that are there don't appeal to everyone and don't draw people to walk down the street to multiple shops. I don't really think the orientation of the streets has much if anything to do with it, but Royce and I have gone over this point before and I don't think either of us is going to change our mind.
    I think that as the geographic of the neighborhood change so would the attitude of wanting to drive instead of walking the few blocks would change. Look at other developing communities. West Village, Woodbridge, and Midtown, all have developing business districts which the people in those communities are walking the few blocks to. I know that the Avenue of Fashion is much larger but residents would walk to the establishment that are near closer to their area. The problem is planners were and are still trying to keep the business district mostly Black. I had heard an elected official boast of making the area the next Paradise Valley. How, but lining it with cheap overpriced merchandise along with very poor customer service? The residents in the area are already overtaxed paying for underrated services. Someone had mentioned bringing light rail to the area. Waste of time and money. The area, once revitalized with stores worth shopping, need shuttle busses that will run from Livernois and 8 to university district of UofM. Maybe a shopping express bus taking shoppers from The Ave stopping in Midtown, them to Downtown and back

The problem is planners were and are still trying to keep the business district mostly Black. I had heard an elected official boast of making the area the next Paradise Valley.
    Why is that a bad thing? The surrounding neighborhoods are overwhelmingly African American. Why would it be unexpected or undesirable to have a business district that reflects the community served?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2