Quote Originally Posted by MikeyinBrooklyn View Post
Well, I have a slight convergence of this thread with news today. Aretha Franklin has announced that with the coming of her new album this fall, and a brief concert tour related to it, she will be going into semi-retirement. Thereafter, she says, she will only do the odd special event. [[Strangely, Aretha's retirement has made headlines in many papers and websites, but neither the News nor Free Press, nor DY, have posted about it yet).

Well, seeing how Aretha has hinted in the past about wanting to open a performance space in Detroit, and possibly partnering with someone to do just that, I wonder if she is indeed doing so, in the form of a renovated UA Theater. Just speculation, of course. And I have written here before that I would like to see that exact thing happen. But if she's going to be home full time starting later this year, now seems like a time she would get to work on a legacy project. Of course, though, her decades of amazing music is quite a legacy project in its own right.

Calling it the Aretha Franklin theatre would be great. I would be sad if we have to wait for Stevie Wonder's retirement.