Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

At one point Abe Vigoda was claimed to be dead in error!

The Decades-Long History of the Abe Vigoda Death Error

http://www.vnews.com/lifetimes/20756...da-death-error

Quote Originally Posted by jfk View Post
    No...but it was really great. Thanks.

I was up reading all night.

Funny how it shows on the Ann Arbor news searches, but almost nothing from the Freep or News archives.
    Last edited by Gannon; January-30-16 at 08:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray1936 View Post
    The news today of the passing of Abe Vigoda, who played the role of "Fish" in the old "Barney Miller" series, just loosened an avalanche of memories for me today. While I never met Abe Vigoda, he and his crew at the old NYPD 12th Precinct Detective Bureau always reminded me of my days as a detective at the 10th Precinct [[Livernois) D.B. My god, the "Barney Miller" series was dead on to what went on in a precinct Detective Bureau every day. We, of the D.B., roared every week at the show, and all of us in the years to follow in re-runs. Back about 1978, we invited Hal Linden [[Barney Miller) to visit us in Detroit, and he and his wife accepted and made the rounds in the various precincts of the DPD. The fact that Max Gail [[Wojo) was a native Detroiter made it even more believable!

That said, God rest you, Abe Vigoda. You were a little bit of each and every one of us was who ever carried the badge of a DPD detective.

Bottom photo is Hal Linden and me, 1978.
    Was that the 10th Precinct at Livernois and Elmhurst?

Quote Originally Posted by garyalex View Post
    Was that the 10th Precinct at Livernois and Elmhurst?
    It was. And also the annex on the southeast corner, AKA Oscar's Bar.

Default I remember it all too well

Quote Originally Posted by Ray1936 View Post
    It was. And also the annex on the southeast corner, AKA Oscar's Bar.
    Including that bar. Omar's across the street. I spent way too many hours of my youth standing on that corner. I also became familiar with the lockups in the 10th. I have some very bad memories of some of the detectives in the 10th. Sometimes it's hard to believe I survived all that. Some of the things I did were just stupid. Ah, youth.

Reminds me of an episode of "Taxi" where Latka brings in his family recipe cookies: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j-c4cd_Lm-Q
    Another great series from the past. Good times!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2