Lowell,

I am struggling on my WW2, so I digress.
However, you posted a reply on my “66” thread, that had me gurgling on my Reminisces of sorts.
Sunday, Belle Isle. Peggy and our young uns on the beach, and me, a few feet away, melding into the crowd of young and old players, waiting for their turns to play In the wooden three wall ‘spectator’ court. A full days journey, always to remember.
If you win your first game, you get to play a second game against a different player.
John Scopis was the “best” in Michigan for about ten years or more. He was an excellent, and fair player to play against. He never challenged a block or a point. A good sportsman.
On a particular day I happened to be the “second” player to play John.
John would never embarrass a lesser player like me. He would take his time.
The Score was 17 - 6. I was leadingJohn decided to go to work. A crowd began to stop talking and came over to watch my decimation.
John began to explode. The score went to 19 - 16. My serve. In the volley, I had to ’fist’ one and it rolled out flat. 20 - 16. Still my serve. I needed another fluke. I got it.
I gave my serve a hard “slice,” right along the left side wall. He could not get his whole hand on his return. He managed to return it but I killed it.

So, Lowell, don’t retire. Just take a leave of absence and keep whatever dreams you might have, following you back.

I might tell you my story about the New York Obert Brothers. Oscar, Carl and Ruby.
Ohhhhh, what a Dream to play against them.