Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by AarunFast View Post
    Tesla isn't coming here because the auto dealers union won't let them sell directly in Michigan. They have the entire Michigan government by the shoestrings, holding us back from real innovation.
    Where does it say that the Detroit Auto Show banned Tesla from setting up a booth? I can't find your article anywhere. Tesla's chicken to show up and embarrass themselves.

What real innovation? The big three has electrical cars too [[and it's not putting them into the poor house). As for direct selling, they can sell their cars through independent dealerships in Michigan or indirectly by people buying them in out of state stores like Ohio. Michigan just banned direct selling straight from the manufacturer. To put it into perspective, I can't go the Flat Rock MI assembly plant with car specs from the Internet and have the plant manager sell me a Ford Mustang assembled a day ago to save on freight and dealership markup either. That's what direct selling means--it means you're buying it directly from the manufacturer vs. an independent dealership. Also, Tesla has stores in over 20 states and people can go out of state to buy one if they really wanted it. So, they're not really holding buyers back--Michiganers can still buy one; they're just telling Tesla to play by the same rules everybody else plays by.

BTW, I checked out Lotpro to find out how far their nearest store is from Detroit and it states they have a Tesla Motors in Southfield [[so you may even be able to buy one locally): Tesla Motors 2000 Town Center Southfield, MI 48075

http://www.lotpro.com/direct_quote/tesla/model_s/

Quote Originally Posted by AarunFast View Post
    And Tesla's business plan is not to outsell Ford this year, so I don't know why you are throwing around those numbers. It is a measured strategy, built to gradually move towards a more affordable option. It takes time to build a automotive brand.
    Why am I throwing those numbers around?

Because you brought it up!

Why where you laughing in your previous post calling Big 3 recalls embarrassing and saying their attitude is losing market share when Ford's car units sold has been the highest in the past decade and a half with over $3Billion in profits and shares jumping from a buck in 2008 to $12 a share?

BTW - In Nov 2015, Tesla issued a major worldwide seatbelt recall: http://detroit.cbslocal.com/2015/11/...at-belt-issue/

In 2013, the Model S had electrical fires in three of its vehicles.

The Tesla isn't the perfect, invincible car you seem to make it out to be, yet you call everyone else's recalls an embarrassment even though they are turning a profit unlike Tesla. You don't know what you're talking about.

The Wall Street Journal stated that they don't even think Tesla Motors will turn a profit until 2020. http://www.wsj.com/articles/tesla-ch...ays-1421186754

It's the John Deloreon story all over again. Tesla's flamboyant CEO Elon Musk made his fortune selling Internet websites like Paypal to E-Bay and he'll lose it all on Tesla.

Yet, you say the Detroit 3 is an embarrassment. Ya, that's makes a whole lot of sense. Whatever.
    Last edited by davewindsor; January-18-16 at 05:16 PM.

Autoextremist mentions that the show needs to rethought including moving the show from January to a warmer time of year.

Is it stale? My God yes. I get that the industry launches new models at the show, and the press coverage is there, but like it has been mentioned, everything is released early or on the internet.

Why am I going to fight in a crowd 10 deep to look at a new Mustang, when I can google it? Going to the Auto Show as a kid was fun because you got to hop up in the cars and trucks and make a day out of it with your parents or friends. Now I see it as a complete inconvenience and lackluster event. Than again, I find just about all auto shows to be that.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeg19 View Post
    Is it stale? My God yes. I get that the industry launches new models at the show, and the press coverage is there, but like it has been mentioned, everything is released early or on the internet.

Why am I going to fight in a crowd 10 deep to look at a new Mustang, when I can google it? Going to the Auto Show as a kid was fun because you got to hop up in the cars and trucks and make a day out of it with your parents or friends. Now I see it as a complete inconvenience and lackluster event. Than again, I find just about all auto shows to be that.
    Reading the attached links, I can't believe the millions that are spent by the manufacturers to present their products @ one show. I'd rather they apply that money to bring the price of the vehicle down. Then maybe I can afford to buy one with one of those new fangled USB ports or something.

USB's been around a little while now HT [[maybe 5 or so years). My old 10+ old car even has extra power plug for old cigarette lighter port!

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    Then maybe I can afford to buy one with one of those new fangled USB ports or something.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    USB's been around a little while now HT [[maybe 5 or so years). My old 10+ old car even has extra power plug for old cigarette lighter port!
    Your car has a cigarette lighter port!?!?!

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post
    Yes, that was obviously the reason. They "chickened out" in Detroit, but not in NYC, LA, Zurich, Frankfurt, Paris, or Tokyo.

Because the Detroit 3 obviously only markets/sells cars in Metro Detroit, and only displays cars in the Detroit show...
    You should have just rolled your eyes at his absurdity like the rest of us!

I don't attend the auto show every year but I did this year. I thought it was great.

And a extra one! And an ash tray!

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    Your car has a cigarette lighter port!?!?!

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    And a extra one! And an ash tray!
    That does it, I've GOT to get a new car!

Quote Originally Posted by noise View Post
    You should have just rolled your eyes at his absurdity like the rest of us!
    You don't even know what you are talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post
    Yes, that was obviously the reason. They "chickened out" in Detroit, but not in NYC, LA, Zurich, Frankfurt, Paris, or Tokyo.

Because the Detroit 3 obviously only markets/sells cars in Metro Detroit, and only displays cars in the Detroit show...
    I never said the show in Detroit and the Detroit 3 only markets/sells cars in Metro Detroit. It's called the North American International Auto Show for a reason. Journalists from all around the world come to Detroit to visit it and report on what's new in the auto world, duh!

Quote Originally Posted by davewindsor View Post
    You don't even know what you are talking about.
    No, of course not. You, on the other hand, are an expert.

I rather enjoyed it this year. BUT, you could totally tell where companies that were there in years past are not there now. A gaping hole and the exclamation, "Oh, this is where Bentley usually is."

I was told, probably here, that the reason it was in January was to attract interest in buying cars during the first few months of the year which are traditionally the slowest buying season. And also to use the Auto Show as a large dealership of sorts so everyone can see the cars, relating a lot to my first point.

As well, while a spring/summer/even fall show would be nice perhaps attracting bigger crowds and showcasing downtown when it's actually nice out, it would also take away bringing crowds downtown in January when there is very little else going on.

Well, aside from a few cool concepts, I was in and out on Friday in about 1.5 hours and was reminded why I don't go to this thing. If it wasn't a work related outing, I would have missed it entirely. Although, there was certainly some nice eye candy next to the cars.

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    http://news.google.com/news/url?sr=1...han-detroit%2F

I can keep posting similar articles but I just think it would be wise for Detroit to address its problems before it becomes a trend that causes declining press attendance. Find a way to encourage the automakers to make more new product launches and tech announcements here. Maybe more demonstrations at the show as is done in Vegas. After all it's not just the automakers, don't Gilbert and others want Detroit to be seen as a tech center?
    I guess they listened to me:

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/bus...expo/83199454/

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2