Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

This one will be fascinating to watch. Do we have a new heavy hitter with a eye on new mid rise construction? If the answer is yes, it would be fantastic for downtown population density.

The article has been corrected: Karp owns the Gateway Center building, at 1101 Washington Blvd. at Michigan Avenue

This is on the other side of Washington Blvd from the Book Cadillac, on the same side as the Book Tower. Loveland says it was built in 1972.

https://goo.gl/maps/viVFXob3Kxx

It seems pretty clear to me at this point that the 2-story building immediately south of the Book Tower [[which Gilbert owns, not Karp) will be replaced by a new Book Tower parking garage. I really don't think Gilbert will need any of Karp's property for that, nor will he have to build something west of the Rosa Parks Transit Center.

Also, my reading of the story was that the building won't be torn down until they are ready to start building the replacement. I really doubt this will torn down and left as an empty lot for an indefinite period before construction begins on the new building.

Can anyone confirm or deny that the 2 story building immediately south of the Book [[Building) wasn't built as the foundations and first 2 stories of a never built 81 story Book Tower? If that building is really that "overbuilt".... wouldn't it be easier to build a parking structure on it? Especially since ground floor retail is now a requirement. If that is not the case, I guess there's no point but to demolish it for a parking tower.

Quote Originally Posted by Khorasaurus View Post
    I really doubt this will torn down and left as an empty lot for an indefinite period before construction begins on the new building.
    In New York, yes. In Detroit and many other places, not true. Pattern and practice-- the par for the course-- in Detroit suggests demolition will leave us with emptiness. But speramus meliora.

Forumers, tell me more about Karp and his other downtown projects. I want to feel good about this plan [general though it may be].

It's a big stretch to say that this is either a historically or architecturally significant building.

A well-designed building would be a huge upgrade. I'm not necessarily holding my breath but there is a possibility!

Quote Originally Posted by Mackinaw View Post
    In New York, yes. In Detroit and many other places, not true. Pattern and practice-- the par for the course-- in Detroit suggests demolition will leave us with emptiness. But speramus meliora.

Forumers, tell me more about Karp and his other downtown projects. I want to feel good about this plan [general though it may be].
    It wasn't a general statement. I know demolition in Detroit has pretty much always resulted in an empty lot/parking lot for some period of time. But in this case you have a developer saying "I want to build a new building where this existing one is" rather than the DEGC saying "I want to get rid of this building so that maybe someday someone else will build there maybe."

As a practical matter, I expect it to be one continuous construction site - old building comes down, new building goes up. No time as a parking lot or anything like that. Maybe I'll end up wrong about that, but Karp has no incentive to let the site sit. He isn't in the parking business.

As for his other projects, he recently completed the conversion of the Detroit Savings Bank [[United Way Building) into apartments and offices. He's part way through a renovation of the Capitol Park Building. When the Capitol Park Building is close to completion, he is planning to start on the Farwell Building.

Up to this point, his developments in Detroit have occurred as promised, generally on schedule, and with a respect for historic architecture and good urban form. I know we've been taught not to trust developers around here, but everything he's done has been high quality. So I'm choosing to trust him until I see reason to do otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by Mackinaw View Post
    Is this building in the Detroit HDC's domain [[not that this stops demo recently...)

p69rrh51: thanks!

The calibre of reporting exhibited by Kirk Pinho's article, which does not question the assertion that this is "not historic," is incredibly poor.
    I agree. The building certainly does not look historic due to some ugly alterations; I suppose the reporter simply took a gander at it and agreed that it must not be "historic." Wouldn't have taken much effort to find that it does have some valuable heritage.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason View Post
    It's a big stretch to say that this is either a historically or architecturally significant building.

A well-designed building would be a huge upgrade. I'm not necessarily holding my breath but there is a possibility!
    Yes its significant! Just look at the history of Finsterwald and their contributions to the city. If you can't see that you are blind. Plus it is one of just two Albert Kahn designed buildings on Washington Blvd. [[a street dominated by Louis Kamper designs). Unlike the building across the street that was considered beyond repair the bones of this building are in very good condition.

It is one out of only two Kahn designed buildings on the same street in a region filled with 100s+. If that's what makes it architecturally significant, then New Center One across from the Fisher Building is also architecturally significant because it was designed by the same firm. The building was not an excellent example of its style [[and regardless it certainly isn't anymore) and it was not noteworthy in the development of architecture.

For all the years that I've been interested in Detroit's history, Finsterwald is not a name that I know. Maybe that's my fault, but from my brief googling now, the family appeared to have founded a furniture and and clothing stores. Apparently not enough for them to get into the local popular consciousness like other companies at the time. Either way it has to be a pretty remarkable furniture store in order for it to be protected on historical grounds. And even so, having a historically relevant tenant doesn't automatically translate into significance for the building, or else the suburban office park where Quicken Loans was located would also have to be protected on historical grounds. Buildings everywhere are constantly full of tenants, and many of them are historically interesting tenants, but it doesn't make the site hallowed ground.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2