Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Hybrid View

Default Metro Detroit-Windsor 2016 Predictions

For historical purposes, below are links to the previous new year prediction threads:

And here we go:
    1. Ground is finally broken for the Little Caesar's Headquarters in December.
    2. The new arena continues taking shape.
    3. Eastland closes.
    4. Tigers barely miss out on the playoffs.
    5. Pistons barely make it into the playoffs, but crash and burn in the first round.
    6. An announcement is made on a mixed-use development on the Monroe Block.
    7. Meijer breaks ground on a store on East Jefferson.
    8. Construction activity takes place on the Hudson's Block.
    9. The street light project is completed.
    10. The Lincoln Park Sears announces a closure.

Add your predictions.

11. A criminal investigation will be launched against the Snyder administration for the Flint water crisis.

12. DPS will file for bankruptcy.

13. The EAA will be dissolved and returned to DPS.

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    11. A criminal investigation will be launched against the Snyder administration for the Flint water crisis.

12. DPS will file for bankruptcy.

13. The EAA will be dissolved and returned to DPS.

Well, 1.5 out of 3 isn't as bad as it could be...

8a. after Gilbert successfully buys the underground parking garage.

14. Absolutely nothing will happen with the Fail Jail and it will continue to suck money while they maintain their stance to keep it versus selling it to Gilbert for a loss.

8b. Once Hudson's site is announced, more retailers will begin to announce they are coming to town.
    15. Downtown will add at least one hotel via an announcement [[construction would follow eventually)
    16. Book Tower and Stott Building will begin to see construction.
    17. Brush Park will begin construction/renovations

Default What Will Be The Top 5 OR 10 Stories In Detroit 2016?

My first thought is that 2016 will be the prelude to 2017 with the new arena, M-1, lot of development in Brush Park, and maybe [[?) something going up at the Hudson's site.

Yet, 2016 at least along the Woodward corridor looks like a year of cranes, construction vehicles, etc. etc.

2017 looks like a year for landscaping, streetscaping, etc. projects which were worked on in 2016.

Maybe 2016, besides construction activities will be ANNOUNCEMENTS of things which may or may not start in 2016.

Will 2016 be the year of announcements of activities in areas other than those along Woodward??? River front? HFH area and New Center extended?

Are there plans in 2016 to extend the median and center landscaping they did on Jefferson at the Grosse Pointe Park entrace further down Jefferson [[e.g. Jefferson/Chalmers to Downtown). I think it would make an immediate impact on the beauty of Detroit as opposed to a ghastly 7 lane ashpalt road. Even Gratiot in Roseville, Hall Rd in Macomb, Rochester/Big Beaver in Troy and Woodward in Bham recognize the visual beauty breaking all that asphalt up can have on an area. Ditto for Michigan Ave from MGM to Train Station.

Quote Originally Posted by belleislerunner View Post
    Are there plans in 2016 to extend the median and center landscaping they did on Jefferson at the Grosse Pointe Park entrance further down Jefferson [[e.g. Jefferson/Chalmers to Downtown). I think it would make an immediate impact on the beauty of Detroit as opposed to a ghastly 7 lane asphalt road. Even Gratiot in Roseville, Hall Rd in Macomb, Rochester/Big Beaver in Troy and Woodward in Bham recognize the visual beauty breaking all that asphalt up can have on an area. Ditto for Michigan Ave from MGM to Train Station.
    Excellent idea. Toss in bump-out parking, curb land-scaping and maybe a circle at Belle Isle entrance, if it could fit.

Prediction:

This time next year, Dick Snyder, and a few of his buddies -- Wurfel, et. al., will be prepping for the 2017 perp walk for choosing revenue enhancements over the health of the Flint citizenry. Brian Calley readies his 2017 agenda as new Governor of Michigan, and recall efforts begin immediately.

Federal investigation and multiple lawsuits regarding handling of the Gamrat/Courser "situation". Tea Party Republicans began to circulate materials related to multiple TP Republicans having homosexual sex in the bathrooms of Doug’s Body Shop.
    Shhhhhhhh! It’s a can’t miss distraction!!

Charlie LeDuff will actually produce a quality piece of journalism that doesn't use goofy bullshit that makes him look like an idiot and a buffoon.

M.L. Erlick sees LeDuff's surprise quality product and becomes inspired not to follow down the road of LeDuff's stupid journalistic parlor tricks. Finally creates his masterworks [[that isn’t Kwame related) and retires to upstate New York a very happy man.

DPS will reach 1.5B in the hole – after newest “reform” -- and have about 100 teachers left in the District willing to teach.

Michigan teachers will finally receive monies held in escrow that were unconstitutionally withheld by the State as a means to prop up retirement fund that was brutalized by one John Engler and His Merry Band of Hack and Slash Republicans.

Banning straight-ticket voting blows up in the Republicans faces; as they did not realized that is was in fact, their base, that relied on it too much. Democrats sweep both State Senate and House, causing Republicans to flee in a mass panic for fear of retribution, shooting as many guns as they can on the way out. Democrats shower them with love and donuts causing Republicans to melt into the ground where they once stood.

Dan Gilbert goes "Undercover Boss" and gets fired the first week on the job for not making his metrics. Last seen placing a call to MARVIN on his Obama phone.

While 2016 starts off with no cities under an EM, Grand Rapids is somehow taken over by EM. No one knows how it happened, or why – EM just showed up one day and said “Hi, I’m the new EM for Grand Rapids”, and everybody said “OK” and showed them to their office and gave them office keys and a car. No one find out their name until 2017 – and we’ll hold off on that for next year’s predictions.

Happy New Year!!

Quote Originally Posted by Baselinepunk View Post
    Prediction:

This time next year, Dick Snyder, and a few of his buddies -- Wurfel, et. al., will be prepping for the 2017 perp walk for choosing revenue enhancements over the health of the Flint citizenry. Brian Calley readies his 2017 agenda as new Governor of Michigan, and recall efforts begin immediately.

Federal investigation and multiple lawsuits regarding handling of the Gamrat/Courser "situation". Tea Party Republicans began to circulate materials related to multiple TP Republicans having homosexual sex in the bathrooms of Doug’s Body Shop.
    Shhhhhhhh! It’s a can’t miss distraction!!

Charlie LeDuff will actually produce a quality piece of journalism that doesn't use goofy bullshit that makes him look like an idiot and a buffoon.

M.L. Erlick sees LeDuff's surprise quality product and becomes inspired not to follow down the road of LeDuff's stupid journalistic parlor tricks. Finally creates his masterworks [[that isn’t Kwame related) and retires to upstate New York a very happy man.

DPS will reach 1.5B in the hole – after newest “reform” -- and have about 100 teachers left in the District willing to teach.

Michigan teachers will finally receive monies held in escrow that were unconstitutionally withheld by the State as a means to prop up retirement fund that was brutalized by one John Engler and His Merry Band of Hack and Slash Republicans.

Banning straight-ticket voting blows up in the Republicans faces; as they did not realized that is was in fact, their base, that relied on it too much. Democrats sweep both State Senate and House, causing Republicans to flee in a mass panic for fear of retribution, shooting as many guns as they can on the way out. Democrats shower them with love and donuts causing Republicans to melt into the ground where they once stood.

Dan Gilbert goes "Undercover Boss" and gets fired the first week on the job for not making his metrics. Last seen placing a call to MARVIN on his Obama phone.

While 2016 starts off with no cities under an EM, Grand Rapids is somehow taken over by EM. No one knows how it happened, or why – EM just showed up one day and said “Hi, I’m the new EM for Grand Rapids”, and everybody said “OK” and showed them to their office and gave them office keys and a car. No one find out their name until 2017 – and we’ll hold off on that for next year’s predictions.

Happy New Year!!
    Love it!!!

As far as Snyder, don't be surprised if the federal government launches a criminal investigation against him. That's why all of the rats are suddenly jumping ship and "apologizing."

I also fully expect DPS to file for bankruptcy. The teachers will then be fired and either outsourced to Teach For America or replaced completely by Teach For America instructors.

What happens when the Teach For America instructors bail?

I also fully expect DPS to file for bankruptcy. The teachers will then be fired and either outsourced to Teach For America or replaced completely by Teach For America instructors.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    What happens when the Teach For America instructors bail?
    That's Snyder's and the state legislature's problem. They made it clear that my input in the matter wasn't important with the passage of PA4 and subsequently PA436.

It sucks for the DPS students, teachers and parents though, no doubt.

Love it!!!

As far as Snyder, don't be surprised if the federal government launches a criminal investigation against him. That's why all of the rats are suddenly jumping ship and "apologizing."

1 for 2 so far.

http://news.yahoo.com/fbi-joins-flin...125309032.html

4a. and fire Brad Ausmus
    16a. Construction starts on the Stott plans announced for the Book
    18. RTA's transit tax passes setting stage for a regional BRT system.
    19. Talk begin about merging SMART into the RTA
    20. 2nd and bigger Whole Foods location announced.
    21. Michigan loses again to MSU in football.

22. Only 6 murders this year.
    23. City Council meets to discuss best tax revenue surplus use.
    24. Gilbert buys Fail Jail and opens latest rage Hipster Hotel. Booking includes room, TV, and three squares a day.
    Last edited by Honky Tonk; December-31-15 at 05:12 PM.

25. Controversy continues to swirl around Duggan and blight demolition cost overruns. Investigations rumored.
    26. Detroit, as in the automakers, has yet another record sales year.
    27. Michigan becomes a key battleground state for Republican Party candidates who spend millions here. Trump with his protectionist message draws big in Macomb County to win Michigan Primary. Hillary wins Dem Primary by narrow margin.

Just spotted this on Crain's...

10 things to watch for in 2016

1. Big health care merger
    The push in health care to get bigger and more efficient could be pushing Detroit-based Henry Ford Health System into the arms of a player that's reinventing health care and has national ambitions. Read more.

2. Bridge and rail
    Next year should see more progress on a pair of big projects designed to ease the way from Point A to Point B. Read more.

3. DPS plan awaited
    Gov. Rick Snyder is pushing a plan to remake the Detroit Public Schools district, but it's likely to face a tough road in a divided Lansing. Read more.

4. What's next for housing prices?
    Housing prices, which helped drive the plunge into the Great Recession but which have also fueled the engine of recovery, have climbed back to approach all-time highs in Detroit's suburbs. Read more.

5. New construction downtown
    This could be the year of major ground-up development downtown, all with ties to the city's most prolific real estate investor. Read more.

6. Energy law redo
    Lawmakers are also expected to continue debate on updating Michigan's 2008 energy regulation law. Read more.

7. Retail changes?
    The fate of Walgreens Boots Alliance Inc.'s deal to buy Rite Aid Corp. for $9.4 billion could have a big impact on the local retail landscape, even though neither company is locally based.Read more.

8. More details on arena district
    The new $627 million Detroit Red Wings arena and proposed 45-block District Detroit won't be finished by the end of 2016, but it won't be out of the news, either. Read more.

9. The push to legalize pot
    The mushrooming growth of medical marijuana dispensaries in Detroit and elsewhere got a lot of attention in 2015, and efforts are intensifying at the city and state level to improve the regulatory framework for the drug. Read more.

10. New manufacturing in Detroit
    The city of Detroit may see announcements about new manufacturing operations in the new year. Read more.

10 THINGS TO REMEMBER ABOUT 2015
    To see Crain's list of the 10 biggest news stories, issues and trends from 2015, click here.

If some of the positive forecasts above don't take place, look for Detroit Bankruptcy II in 2017. Lost all my healthcare in the last round, probably will lose my pension in the next.

I'm not sure if this is a 2016 or [[early) 2017 prediction:

I was tempted to say climate change warmed this [[2016) Detroit winter a few degrees, but decided to go with something more concrete.

2016 [[and early 2017) will see Brush Park become kind of a lab experiment if Detroit can really come back.

What I mean:

To me, a city is showing signs of coming back when a significant neighborhood shows real tangible signs of revitalization, esp. new construction.

Brush Park is my 2016/17 story. It is an area tangent to CBD/downtown/sports and entertainment. Conveniently located along M-1 and its subway line coming early 2017.

My guess is that Brush Park by 2017 or even 2018, shows the 'ceiling' for complete revitalization of a neighborhood.

If it doesn't happen in Brush Park will it happen at all in Detroit?

If it happens in Brush Park will it happen elsewhere?

It could be a 'weathervane.'
    Last edited by emu steve; January-03-16 at 08:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by emu steve View Post
    I was tempted to say climate change warmed this [[2016) Detroit winter a few degrees.
    Did that same "climate change" also lead to:

*The 8th coldest winter on record during the 2013-2014 season?

*The longest-lasting period of deep snowcover on record during the 2013-2014 season?

*The snowiest winter on record in the 2013-2014 season?

*The 3rd biggest snowstorm on record in the 2014-2015 season?

*The coldest February on record in 2015?

*4 of the past 8 winter seasons being a top 10 snowiest on record?
    Last edited by 313WX; January-03-16 at 10:51 AM.

Did that same "climate change" also lead to:

*The 8th coldest winter on record during the 2013-2014 season?

*The longest-lasting period of deep snowcover on record during the 2013-2014 season?

*The snowiest winter on record in the 2013-2014 season?

*The 3rd biggest snowstorm on record in the 2014-2015 season?

*The coldest February on record in 2015?

*4 of the past 8 winter seasons being a top 10 snowiest on record?

Climate change probably did contribute to the events that you are mentioning.

Quote Originally Posted by p1acebo View Post
    Climate change probably did contribute to the events that you are mentioning.
    It's just funny that people always start screaming "Global Warming!!!" or "Climate Change!!!" whenever we have a warmer than normal period of weather, but are quiet as a mouse when we have colder or snowier than normal period of weather.

In reality, it's all BS. These sorts of ups and downs have happened many times in Detroit's past 125 years of weather records and I'm sure they will continue to happen over the next 125 years.
    Last edited by 313WX; January-03-16 at 02:40 PM.

It's just funny that people always start screaming "Global Warming!!!" or "Climate Change!!!" whenever we have a warmer than normal period of weather, but are quiet as a mouse when we have colder or snowier than normal period of weather.

In reality, it's all BS. These sorts of ups and downs have happened many times in Detroit's past 125 years of weather records and I'm sure they will continue to happen over the next 125 years.
    Come on folks... One year, one game, one... whatever doesn't make a trend.

I did, HOWEVER, see a chart of the average temperatures for the last 30 years.

There IS a trend... It is warmer.

Hasn't NOAA been measuring temperatures for decades, maybe centuries.

Can we not get an undergraduate student who has taken statistics and calculate the trend line for all of those data points?

Despite what some Congressmen say, one doesn't have to be a 'scientist' to understand this type of data. If Congressmen can understand econometric data, they should be able to understand this type of data.

It would make a nice paper for undergraduate statistics [[get a statistical package and do linear regression).
    Last edited by emu steve; January-03-16 at 05:33 PM.

Gee, looks a lot like a graph any college graduate should be able to understand.

If the graph was public approval numbers or campaign contributions, or even national debt, etc. I guarantee that Congressmen would be able to read that graph like 'a book.'

What irks me no end is that the federal government spends billions of dollars each year collecting data on weather, population, housing, employment, health care, agriculture, etc. etc. and politicians will not use them, instead simply talking their pre-conceived talking points.

For the record, I have not stated whether I felt Global Warming or Climate Change was real or not.

I'm merely pointing out how foolish it is to suggest an extreme event, given how variable weather can be due to all of its influences, is attributed solely to Climate Change or Global Warming.

Even scientists who do believe Global Warming or Climate Change is real [[except for Bill Nye) have stopped trying to imply the aforementioned connections as if they were firm.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast