Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Studebaker Plant No. 14

Studebaker acquired an existing building in Detroit during April or May of 1913. It was referred to as Plant No. 14.

Does anyone know of how this plant was used?

Does anyone know where Plant 14 was located?

Thank You
    David in Howell, MI

I thought that this was going to be easy to answer: just a quick check of the OCF DB, and... I got nothing. Either I missed inputting it into the DB, or we never found #14 in Detroit.

Old Car Factory spreadsheet:
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...thkey=CNOh45ML

Default I think I found the answer.

Quote Originally Posted by Hornwrecker View Post
    I thought that this was going to be easy to answer: just a quick check of the OCF DB, and... I got nothing. Either I missed inputting it into the DB, or we never found #14 in Detroit.

Old Car Factory spreadsheet:
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...thkey=CNOh45ML
    I think I answered my own question after further Google searching. I found an Article in Automobile Topics dated May 17, 1913: "Studebaker Leases Another Plant. The Studebaker Corporation has leased the Detroit Curling Club building on Forest Ave,, Detroit, as a storage warehouse for radiators, coils, springs and other supplies. This is the fourteenth building that the Studebaker Corporation has acquired in the capital of automobiledom."

"Leases" is the key word. I assume Studebaker leased the building for the non-winter months. The Detroit Curling Club occupied the location on Forest Ave from 1889 until 1979. They installed a concrete floor in 1909 with the thought in mind that the facility could be used for storage in the non-curling months.

Great find and connection to the Detroit Curling Club sgriccia and welcome to the forum! I remember the place but was never inside it unfortunately.

Nice to see you smoked out one of the forum's legendary historians Hornwrecker too.

I remember driving to Detroit to go to Wayne state in the early 1980's I think, get off the Lodge turn left on forest [[right at the expressway), and the Detroit Curling Club was there on the right, in the North West corner. A big place. Very old looking.

Quote Originally Posted by sgriccia View Post
    I think I answered my own question after further Google searching. I found an Article in Automobile Topics dated May 17, 1913: "Studebaker Leases Another Plant. The Studebaker Corporation has leased the Detroit Curling Club building on Forest Ave,, Detroit, as a storage warehouse for radiators, coils, springs and other supplies. This is the fourteenth building that the Studebaker Corporation has acquired in the capital of automobiledom."

"Leases" is the key word. I assume Studebaker leased the building for the non-winter months. The Detroit Curling Club occupied the location on Forest Ave from 1889 until 1979. They installed a concrete floor in 1909 with the thought in mind that the facility could be used for storage in the non-curling months.
    Interesting, because the Detroit Curling Club was located at 626 E. Woodbridge from 1902 to approximately 1940.

Thanks for the info about Stude leasing that building, and it explains why I couldn't find anything on it from the usual sources. The DCC was located at 1236 West Forest Avenue, according to their website, building the clubhouse in 1906.

http://detroitcurlingclub.com/index.php/about/history

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    Nice to see you smoked out one of the forum's legendary historians Hornwrecker too.
    I regularly lurk.

I agree with Hornwrecker...The Detroit Curling Club bought the property at Forest & Fourth in 1889. 1236 W. Forest Ave. The original "shed" was torn down and the building was built in 1906. It stood there until 1979.

626 E Woodbridge was the Detroit Racquets & Curling Club. I believe it is still there, but they have not curled since the 1920's.

David

It should be mentioned that the Detroit Curling Club is still very much in operation. Located in Ferndale at 1615 E. Lewiston, on the edge of Martin Park off Hilton between 9 Mile and Woodward Heights.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post

I thought the same thing myself.