Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Thread: Paging Lowell

Default Paging Lowell

I was going to write you, via the notification box, on another subject that I will do shortly.
    However, your reference to WWII really surprised me on a subject that has an incredible eternity to those men women and children who had been involved.

To wit: On Sunday, December 7, 1941, it was 5:30 P. M. Kenny G. [[Seventh Grader) and I, [[Eighth Grader) were returning home from the Roosevelt Theater
    Sunday Matinee. We were walking on McClellan. in front of the new Nativity
    Activities Bldg. The Free Press boy had an 'extra' out, telling us about Japan bombing Pearl Harbor. I told Kenny that a War would last maybe 2 or 3 weeks. We had no idea of what had happened.

Lowell, I will make an attempt to tell you how a 13 year old boy, from the "Silent Generation," matured.

Great I look forward to your descriptions of WWII Detroit and know the rest here do too.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    Great I look forward to your descriptions of WWII Detroit and know the rest here do too.
    Absolutely!

I am an anachronistic relic from the good old days. Yes, that statement is redundant. The times that I remember, so vividly, took place during the years of 1935 through 1950, when Detroit was easily, the most dominant, the most productive and especially, the most opportunistic city in America. Education, entrepreneurship, excitement, sports, religion and a myriad of other pursuits were there for the taking.
    We also had extreme poverty, racism and political chicanery. So what has changed in the last 72 years? For one thing, no more alleys.

Before I begin warbling my own Melodies, I will repeat the favorite ‘Prologue’ as written by:

Charles Durning:
    “When we were living through the thirties and forties, we had lived through the Great Depression Years, the ravages of World War II and then the struggle to put our lives back together again. We wanted it all to be over.And when it was over, we couldn’t stop looking
    back. We couldn’t shake the feeling that we had lost something,,, something fine in our lives. Perhaps it was innocence and purpose, hope and our youth.
    E. B. White put it this way: “Our heads were filled with the fragile dreams of love, and underneath the bluster and the swagger, everything in life was coated with a strange and beautiful importance that you almost forgot about because it dates back so far.” End Quote.

Durning: “My heart is still full of the sounds and the words and the feel of those days we remember as THE FORTIES.”
    Sometimes in the middle of the night, it all comes back so strong, so fresh, that I almost become the kid I was back then