Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Hybrid View

They are also in the process of taking down some of the statues on the Book Building for cleaning. Lots of change coming to downtown.

Quote Originally Posted by southen View Post
    They are also in the process of taking down some of the statues on the Book Building for cleaning. Lots of change coming to downtown.
    That [[and the tower) will be a beauty when it's restored!! However... Southen, I do love your one photo of the Book Tower in b/w detail. It has an almost terrifyingly spooky look to it. Great photo!!

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    That [[and the tower) will be a beauty when it's restored!! However... Southen, I do love your one photo of the Book Tower in b/w detail. It has an almost terrifyingly spooky look to it. Great photo!!
    Thanks Gistok! There is a beauty to the griminess but I am stoked to see it fully cleaned and with exterior lighting at night. The top being lit right now is great, but once they shine some lights on those columns it could be the focal point of the skyline at night. [[assuming the Penobscot continues to look awful)

Tearing down a burnt out strip club and a vacant lot for new, ten-story apartment construction. Doesn't get much better than that.

I already know I probably can't afford to live in 'em but that's okay.

Quote Originally Posted by michmina View Post
    I already know I probably can't afford to live in 'em but that's okay.
    They're micro units...thus allegedly cheaper, but who knows

It's probably going to take longer to get the equipment on site than knock that place down. I'd imagine it's gone in a day.

Thank you Dan Gilbert!

http://www.mlive.com/business/detroi...art_river_home

the strip club building is getting destroyed tomorrow at 7 AM.. moving right along!

There's a micro-unit building going up in Manhattan. The units average a little over 300 sq. ft. and rents start at $2900/mo. That's low rent. The units are constructed off-site and lifted into position by crane, like the Trolley and Millender apartments.

Quote Originally Posted by 3WC View Post
    There's a micro-unit building going up in Manhattan. The units average a little over 300 sq. ft. and rents start at $2900/mo. That's low rent. The units are constructed off-site and lifted into position by crane, like the Trolley and Millender apartments.
    I've been to NYC, as I'm sure many of you have. I loved it, but why on Earth would anyone pay $3000 a month to live in a shoe box? Yea, it's NYC, blah blah blah, but you could live in a penthouse in Detroit or a decent place in Chicago for that much.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeg19 View Post
    I've been to NYC, as I'm sure many of you have. I loved it, but why on Earth would anyone pay $3000 a month to live in a shoe box? Yea, it's NYC, blah blah blah, but you could live in a penthouse in Detroit or a decent place in Chicago for that much.
    The answer is simple. NYC offers way more than Detroit and people recognize that and are willing to pay up. Hell why not ask why people don't choose Toledo over NYC? Even cheaper housing there....see my point?

Quote Originally Posted by TTime View Post
    The answer is simple. NYC offers way more than Detroit and people recognize that and are willing to pay up. Hell why not ask why people don't choose Toledo over NYC? Even cheaper housing there....see my point?
    I guess I should have clarified my comments, I just figured everyone would have omitted the overly obvious "there's a lot to do there" comment. The point wasn't to compare living in NYC to Wichita, because basically everywhere in this country has cheaper housing than NYC.

I wanted to look at cities with a comparable social/cosmopolitan standing. My point was you can live in Chicago, Houston, San Francisco, Seattle, Portland, etc, at that price point, and get wayyyyyy more bang for your buck, and there's plenty of stuff to do in those cities too. Yes, I understand that there are cheaper options in NYC if you want to live in a trash can for $1200 a month, I'm just going with that price point.

And just so nobody bitches, I'll cite those comments with some legit info.

http://www.zillow.com/blog/what-you-...-month-144201/
    Last edited by mikeg19; March-11-16 at 08:45 AM.

I guess I should have clarified my comments, I just figured everyone would have omitted the overly obvious "there's a lot to do there" comment. The point wasn't to compare living in NYC to Wichita, because basically everywhere in this country has cheaper housing than NYC.

I wanted to look at cities with a comparable social/cosmopolitan standing. My point was you can live in Chicago, Houston, San Francisco, Seattle, Portland, etc, at that price point, and get wayyyyyy more bang for your buck, and there's plenty of stuff to do in those cities too. Yes, I understand that there are cheaper options in NYC if you want to live in a trash can for $1200 a month, I'm just going with that price point.

And just so nobody bitches, I'll cite those comments with some legit info.

http://www.zillow.com/blog/what-you-...-month-144201/
    I didn't simply say there was more to do, I said NYC offers more but yes there is clearly more to do in NYC. At this point in my life there is no way I could live in a small and expensive apt in NYC but at the same time I completely understand why many choose to do so.

Funny, London has outrageous rents and housing coats with the smallest footprint per capita of.all the rich Nations, smaller.than Japan.

I read.last Week about how many empty and abandoned apartments and houses there are in Japan. There are 10 million empty living spaces. Talk about a wasteful state.A co-worker of mine used to work building houses in Tokyo twenty five years ago. He says that the Land being so much more valuable than the House, they build, demolish and rebuild every 20/or so years.

Just in terms of basics, will the units have bathrooms? toilet, shower, sink? Is there any kind of pantry area? what about cooking?

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyles View Post
    Just in terms of basics, will the units have bathrooms? toilet, shower, sink? Is there any kind of pantry area? what about cooking?
    Each unit will have a Standup Shower, Toilet, Bathroom Sink, Kitchen Sink, 2 Burner Top, Fridge.

Quote Originally Posted by 313rd View Post
    Each unit will have a Standup Shower, Toilet, Bathroom Sink, Kitchen Sink, 2 Burner Top, Fridge.
    Combined. You can cook your breakfast while you shower - very efficient

Cool demo time lapse. I hope that water had bleach in it. Wouldn't want downtown covered in whatever came out of that dust plume....

http://www.mlive.com/business/detroi...art_river_home

anyone got any updates? the renderings initially showed 10 stories, however it was announced it got changed to 13 stories. construction has started and the foundation is in and they are about 1 story up for it

anyone have any pics of the construction site? or maybe updated renderings?

also capitol park is absolutely booming right now, and in a year or so will be THE downtown neighborhood to live in.
    coffee shops, new retail, restaurants. EVERY SINGLE building is either RECENTLY completely renovated, or under renovation currently, and there are TWO NEW RESIDENTIAL construction projects underway [[the micro apartments, and the 5 stories of apartments on top of the book cadillac garage)... it's a site to see, you should definitely check out all the construction and activity going on!

It would be nice to see some of the surface lots filled with 10-20 story towers to really close things in. It really is one of the best urban spaces in the city but so often overlooked.

It would be nice to see some of the surface lots filled with 10-20 story towers to really close things in. It really is one of the best urban spaces in the city but so often overlooked.

I think it'll happen sooner than later. The demand is going to be sky high next april/may to move into capitol park.

David Stott building: Currently undergoing renovation, unsure ETA of when to open but it's under progress

The Albert: Renovated 2014, open apartments and fully leased. Retail Tenants: Detroit Bike Co, Desert Oasis Coffee, Go Psy Thai

Malcolmson Building: Renovated 2016 completed. Retail tenants: The Ten Modern Nail bar

Archdiocese of Detroit building: Renovated 2015. Apartments and offices.

Farwell Building: Active renovation currently. Apartments?

SE corner of grand river and griswold is under active renovation

NE corner of grand river and griswold is construction site for new 13 story building micro apts

The building just south of malcolmson building is under active renovation.

SW corner of state and griswold [[forget the name of it). under active renovation into apts, should open this year

SE corner of state and shelby is Lear Corp new building. under active renovation, will open this year.

missing any?? i think that accounts for every [[or almost every) building in capitol park

Bonus: Griswold apts on top of book caddy garage

I'm sure i missed some

I say, "Move the state capitol down there!!!"

Quote Originally Posted by downtownguy View Post
    I say, "Move the state capitol down there!!!"
    I assume this was a joke, especially considering how the rest of the state feels about Detroit.

Quote Originally Posted by TTime View Post
    I assume this was a joke, especially considering how the rest of the state feels about Detroit.
    After the American Revolution and after the War of 1812, many states moved their capitols inland and away from vulnerability to an invading army. Detroit's capture by the British in 1812, made the good citizens realize that the capitol should be located away from the border. Detroit is a border town.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast