Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

I think a nice course could be created in and around the Packard Plant property. Plenty of nice elevated views and auto history. Rather than destroy something already cleaned up [Belle Isle] they could help clean up something already destroyed.
    Name:  59271.jpg
Views: 1290
Size:  96.5 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    I think a nice course could be created in and around the Packard Plant property. Plenty of nice elevated views and auto history. Rather than destroy something already cleaned up [Belle Isle] they could help clean up something already destroyed.
    Name:  59271.jpg
Views: 1290
Size:  96.5 KB
    While I agree it might be pretty cool, I'm not sure it provides the overhead shots the Chamber of Commerce is looking for. Maybe better suited to a motocross or BMX race.

I would like to see them create a trade school there. Maybe a high school for the building crafts and trades. Get these kids involved in something they like before they get disgusted and drop out. I'll bet the trade unions would be falling all over themselves to get involved.

So the latest offer is another 3 years of the Grand Prix, with still the 2 month closure each spring.

IMHO, I appreciate the publicity and revenue generated by the race, and think that is a great asset. I can get over the noise and crowds generated one weekend a year.., but

Why do they need that long for a closure? Maybe I am missing something, but why couldn’t they just build some more permanent structures for the races so they don’t need 2 months every year for construction of a temporary setup. Yes, the permanent structures might not be the best aesthetically, but better to have that than a 2 month closure every spring.

Maybe there is logic I am missing, but that would have been a much better compromise to offer.

Quote Originally Posted by Atticus View Post
    So the latest offer is another 3 years of the Grand Prix, with still the 2 month closure each spring.
    Buh-bye. I'm sure there are tons of cities just dying to have an obscure car race shut down their flagship park for half the warm weather season.

2 Months is to long for 350k. With the auto show making a move to June in 2020 I see much less need for the GP as a ‘event’.

Now if they are interested in the newly open January dates...
    Last edited by ABetterDetroit; July-13-18 at 08:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dbest View Post
    It just seems antiquated to have the thing in what is essentially a nature preserve.
    What other nature preserve do you know of where people hold family reunion barbeques, play sports, etc.?

That poster doesn't reflect the demographics of Detroit.

When the race prep starts 2 months BEFORE , shutting down access to things on the Island - it inconveniences the rest of the folks who just want to go to the island and relax.

Quote Originally Posted by ABetterDetroit View Post
    2 Months is to long for 350k. With the auto show making a move to June in 2020 I see much less need for the GP as a ‘event’.

Now if they are interested in the newly open January dates...
    That's a race I would watch.

"Pagenaud seems to be rocking his car now to try to get out of that snowbank".

Quote Originally Posted by O3H View Post
    When the race prep starts 2 months BEFORE , shutting down access to things on the Island - it inconveniences the rest of the folks who just want to go to the island and relax.
    When one looks back a few years ago there was a lot of support within the city to turn it over to the state control,because at that time it was deemed the city would never be able to improve it.

The draw back of that and making long term decisions based on the moment is that your voice was also given up.

Maybe some still view it as a city park when it is not anymore.As a city park,restricting access for a couple months is understandable but as a state park and in the bigger picture it is not a big deal because there are other state parks to visit.

You still have your voice on how it is run as a state park,but it is now diluted state wide instead of local,it is still in local back yard but residents in the rest of the state may not be so attached to where it bothers them like it would somebody that could visit with a short drive.

It is 100 acres,how much of it is actually closed off for the two months?

I tried to find some attendance numbers but could not find any posted,some comments about mostly weekend traffic and some were upset about increased police presence while others were happy about it,while other reports of dead trees cut and stacked but not much else.

Even at that without knowing the details and only based on time frames leading up to the event in other cities 30 days set up and 30 take down seems a bit extreme.

Quote Originally Posted by Towne Cluber View Post
    What other nature preserve do you know of where people hold family reunion barbeques, play sports, etc.?
    Basically all of them? If you go to, say, Kensington, or Stoney Creek, you obviously see tons of people having bbqs, playing sports, etc.

Is it because they're BBQing while Black? Better to just shut down the island than let "those people" have family gatherings?

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post
    Basically all of them? If you go to, say, Kensington, or Stoney Creek, you obviously see tons of people having bbqs, playing sports, etc.

Is it because they're BBQing while Black? Better to just shut down the island than let "those people" have family gatherings?
    Belle Isle doesn't appear on the state's list of Nature Reserves.

Interesting hot take, considering that I'm black and you're not...

Belle Isle doesn't appear on the state's list of Nature Reserves.

Interesting hot take, considering that I'm black and you're not...
    What are you talking about re. "state list of nature reserves"? What is that?

Also, what the hell does your race have to do with anything?

What are you talking about re. "state list of nature reserves"? What is that?

Also, what the hell does your race have to do with anything?
    Huh? Those are responses to what you first brought up [[but you already knew that...)

How much of an inconvenience is the race - THIS much :

It took race organizers 14 WEEKS ...posted in Crain's article.
    One third of the island was closed off !!!
    Race organizers received the message loud and clear

http://www.crainsdetroit.com/article...isle-racetrack

Esteban - yo, yo ? Still out there as race affecionado ?
    Time to face the facts of how much this affects the Detroit metro area
    Last edited by O3H; July-14-18 at 09:50 AM.

Belle Isle is over 700 acres and the race roughly impacts a third of the island, if I have read that correctly. I won’t put added value on the fact that it is the most popular third of the island, but if you break down what they are offering it comes down to roughly $4,500.00 a day to occupy an entire third of the island. Take it a step further and it is roughly $20 an acre/per day. Does anyone think that Chicago or New York or any other major city would rent out their most popular park for such a paltry sum?

To put it into perspective I am renting out a pavilion for half a day later in the summer which is far smaller than an acre for $150 and an additional $100 for an alcohol permit.

These numbers are for their latest proposal with the additional $100k they are offering and the shortened time. The cost they pay to rent the island looks even more ridiculous if you break down previous years.

Huh? Those are responses to what you first brought up [[but you already knew that...)
    I have no idea what you're talking about. At no point did I claim that black people are immune from criticism or that Belle Isle is on some non-existent state list of nature preserves.

I have no idea what you're talking about. At no point did I claim that black people are immune from criticism or that Belle Isle is on some non-existent state list of nature preserves.
    Wow, this is a new level of hubris, exaggeration, inaccuracy, and dishonesty for you!

So you're really going to accuse a black person of being racist against black people while also claiming that the state would somehow not have a list of its nature preserves?

Belle Isle is for everyone, the lovers, the haters and those inbetween

Quote Originally Posted by southen View Post
    Belle Isle is over 700 acres and the race roughly impacts a third of the island, if I have read that correctly. I won’t put added value on the fact that it is the most popular third of the island, but if you break down what they are offering it comes down to roughly $4,500.00 a day to occupy an entire third of the island. Take it a step further and it is roughly $20 an acre/per day. Does anyone think that Chicago or New York or any other major city would rent out their most popular park for such a paltry sum?

To put it into perspective I am renting out a pavilion for half a day later in the summer which is far smaller than an acre for $150 and an additional $100 for an alcohol permit.

These numbers are for their latest proposal with the additional $100k they are offering and the shortened time. The cost they pay to rent the island looks even more ridiculous if you break down previous years.
    But at the very least it does not cost the taxpayer and the taxpayer or Detroit sees a revenue burst while the event is going on?

Those would be the numbers to look at.

Who made the original deal and when?

Not for nothing but the exact opposite of a nature preserve is bbq,playing sports etc.

Nature preserves by nature are tranquil settings so to have the least impact on nature.

I thought part of the island was protected?

~~Detroit sees a revenue burst while the event is going on~~
    THAT is the horrendous myth, the conjecture, the lie !!!

Events tend to be judged by consumer spending, and often don’t add up on that basis.

"It has about $1 million more in liabilities than assets at end of every year"

“There is a lot of different ways to look at measuring the success for the Grand Prix, and certainly I wouldn’t say the financial outcome of our event is one of those,” said Bud Denker, race chairman.

AND -
    the delicate work of providing the fans with transportation from parking areas mostly off the island.

All excerpts taken from the Detroit News/ Free Press article

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/sp...ash/102410842/
    Last edited by O3H; July-14-18 at 02:20 PM.

For me and Roger [[Penske), number one, it’s the ongoing restoration of Belle Isle Park itself,” Denker said. “Over $13.5 million has been put into Belle Isle since we started coming here back in 2007.

In addition, a Friday night gala has raised more than $2 million for the Belle Isle Conservancy, he said.

Beyond Belle Isle, the second key piece for us is economic benefit,” Denker said, pointing to a study showing an economic impact of about $46 million to $47 million.

Same link as posted.

If one takes the million dollar number,that is cheap for a city and state to have that international press coverage.

A lot of people overseas take those races as seriously as they do here with football.

Considering most did not have a problem handing over 650 million for the stadium or city residents absorbing the added tax burden from the lost tax base from Del Rey,a million is pocket change.

Last edited by Richard; July-14-18 at 02:33 PM.

I think a LOT of Detroiters are madder than hell about "subsidizing"
    this that and the other thing, so others can make some profit for their pockets - but the residents don't have much of a choice, or leverage, do they ?

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast