30 January

P1. Art/Culture: Born in NYC in 1928, he owns the record of 21 Tony awards for directing and/or
producing Broadway musicals, including The Pajama Game, Damn Yankees, West Side Story, Cabaret, and Fiddler on the Roof. Hint: Richard II, Henry IV Part One, Part Two, Henry V.
A. Mel Brooks B. Harold Prince C. Derek Jacobi D. Elia Kazan

P2. Geography: Stockholm,1927, dynamic Prime Minister assassinated in 1986. Hint: Short life line.
A. Dag Hammarskjöld B. Ola Ullsten C. Olof Palme D. Carl Gustaf Ekman

P3. History/Politics: Born in 1882 in Hyde Park, New York, he was the only U.S. President to be elected
four times. His New Deal brought America through and out of the Great Depression. His leader- ship greatly helped the world defeat fascism during World War II. Historians now rate him 3rd after
Lincoln and Washington. Hint: Australian marsupials wandering on South African grasslands.
A. Harry S. Truman B. Herbert Hoover C. Franklin D. Roosevelt D. Dwight D. Eisenhower

4. Language: Born in Boston in 1886 “among staid, conservative New England gentry”, he gave us The
Purple Cow: “I never saw a purple cow / I never hope to see one; /But I can tell you, anyhow,/ I'd
rather see than be one!” And then: “Ah, yes, I wrote The Purple Cow /—I'm Sorry, now, I wrote it;
/ But I can tell you Anyhow /I'll Kill you if you Quote it!” Hint: Look sharp, feel sharp.
A. Gelett Burgess B. Bruce Porter C. Ivor Cutter D. Colin West

P5. Literature: Born in Tacoma, WA, in 1935, he gave us Trout Fishing in America. Hint: Supporter
A. Richard Brautigan B. Robertson Davies C. Keith Donahue D. Donald Antrim

P6. Music/Dance: Born in Chiswick, UK, in 1951, this singer/songwriter played many instruments, but
1st found fame as drummer & lead singer for Genesis. He has sold over a million albums, including
such songs as In the Air Tonight, Against All Odds, and Sussudio. Hint: Tom’s favorite drink.
A. Peter Gabriel B. Phil Collins C. Bill Bruford D. Bill Ward

P7. People: Born in Battle Creek in 1922, half of a very funny team on Laugh-In. Hint: Guitar or reel
A. Dick Martin B. Tommy Smothers C. Jerry Lewis D. Gracie Allen

P8. Potluck: Born of an Italian family in Kensington, London, in 1915, he held the title of 5th Baron in the
nobility of the Kingdom of Sardinia. He was a Member of Parliament and rising Tory star until a
19-year-old model caught his eye. Alas, she was also sleeping with a bigwig in the Soviet Embassy.
His resignation did not much help P.M- Macmillan’s party. Hint: It was quite a big stink!
A. Jeremy Thorpe B. Cecil Parkinson C. John Profumo D. Jeffrey Archer

P9. Quotations: “Shall I compare thee to a summer’s day?” Name the poet?
A. Elizabeth Barrett Browning B. Robert Browning C. William Shakespeare D. William Blake

P10. Science/Technology: Born in Tivoli, Italy, in 1905, he was a physicist who won a Nobel for dis-
covering the elements technetium & astatine, & antiprotons, sub-atomic anti-particles. Nobel
might not have smiled. The people in Nagasaki didn’t. Hint: nothing worse than twilled worsted
A. J, Robert Oppenheimer B. Emilio Segré C. Enrico Fermi D. Antonio Zichichi

P11. Sports/Games: Born in Leningrad in 1937, he learned chess on a train at age 5. At 10 he defeated
the Soviet champion. He became the 10th World Chess Champion in 1969 & held it until losing to
Bobby Fischer in 1972 in “The Match of the Century”. Hint: Rocky & Bullwinkle rival.
A. Boris Spassky B. Anton Karpov C. Efim Geller D. Mikhail Tal

P12. Stage/Screen: Four: 1. Lynn, MA, 1934, a Tony for The Unsinkable Molly Brown. 2. Chicago 1925,
Oscar for Written on the Wind, also Peyton Place denizen. 3. San Bernardino, 1930, Oscar winner for
The French Connection. 4. The one you need, London, 1937, Morgan!, Oscar winner for Julia.
A. Dorothy Malone B. Vanessa Redgrave C. Gene Hackman D. Tammy Grimes

P13. Extra Credit: And the name of the 19-year-old model was what? Hint: It’s best to keep things even.
A. Sara Keays B. Christine Keeler C. Edwina Curry D. Antonia de Sancha

Answers: 1B; 2C; 3C; 4A; 5A; 6B; 7A; 8C; 9C; 10B; 11A; 12B; 13B