I moved out of Michigan several years ago because I didn't want my entire life to go by, not experiencing what it's like to live in a large bustling city. Now, after getting my fix, i'm looking forward to being back in Detroit. I see all of the unique things Detroit offers that cannot be found in most other cities. We have a distinct vibe found nowhere else in the world and we're still a big city. We should embrace it and run with it. Development will eventually return to Detroit and we will have what other cities have. However, I hope it'll be done in a way that feels like Detroit and not Anytown, USA.

I hate to be pessimistic but the reason investors do not rush to invest in Detroit is because it's a majority black city. No question about it. You can travel through many other smaller, less-populated cities that have tons of retail throughout. The median income is high enough to sustain significant retail here in Detroit, as well. We have to get creative and look within to find ways to build a retail scene in the Downtown Detroit region. And then we have to support it. I like the idea of Art Van coming into the city however, I agree that they cannot sell over-sized furniture that one might find in their suburban stores. They need to specialize in furniture designed for smaller spaces with more of an urban feel. Possibly work with local furniture designers.

Yes, Detroit is very far behind many other cities but I guarantee you it'll come back. I remember telling myself, that I'll return to the city IF the Book Cadillac will ever be renovated. I NEVER in my entire life thought that would EVER happen! It's done and several others as well and many in the works. When Woodward reopens, the pedestrian flow of Downtown from Jefferson to the New Center will bustle. This will lead to more development down Grand Boulevard soon after and North towards Highland Park.

Personally, I'd like to see more black millionaires invest in the city since Detroit is 82% black. It only makes sense. I'd also like to see Dan Gilbert partner with more athletes and celebs such as Jalen Rose, Kid Rock, Eminem, Big Sean Magic Johnson, Isaiah Thomas etc... in the center city area. He has the knowledge so why not help them invest in the region. A 5 story mega-mall in the middle of the city with a hotel and condos on top can survive in this city. But it has to be done unconventionally, because we're in dysfunctional Detroit.