Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

I'm not sure where Bham gets the idea that the south end is increasingly abandoned. Its actually pretty crowded around here.

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley Mouch View Post
    I think most reasonable people will agree that it should be OK to wear a niqab during a citizenship ceremony, so long as the individual privately identifies themselves. I follow Canadian politics a bit, and think this was simply pandering by Harper.

I believe we should be open and accepting to other cultures -- but that there are limits. Sikh RCMP officers wearing turbans? I don't have a problem. Doesn't seem to interfere with ability to be a police officer. Wearing a face-obscuring item? I see some practical problems.

Judge Paruk [[I think it was) ruled a few year ago that you had to expose your face in his courtroom in Hamtramck -- so that jurors could use your facial expressions to help determine if your testimony should be believed. That also makes sense to me. Thus, I don't think niqub wearing is an absolute right just because its a religious right.

But the biggest issue I have with the niqab is that its use is oppressive to women. Sure, there are women who like it. But overall, don't you think its a bit oppressive to require women to hide their faces? Its also relevant that there are many cases of abusive and controlling men in Middle Eastern communities -- more than the population at large? I think that's true. But maybe not. Regardless, by condoning the niqab in our society, we're allowing a rather oppressive expression of the Muslim religion into our society. We might consider this progressive, but shouldn't we also be standing up for woman's rights? Can women really agree voluntarily when the patriarchy in these societies is so strong and entrenched?

At the risk of sounding like your friendly neighborhood Canuckistani bubba; "it's a clash of civilizations."

Again, I won't tell my neighbors how to live, sniff, fuck, eat, drink, shit or anything else, but Iwill point out that there is a weird disconnect between those who claim all the rights of democratic institutions strongly fought for over aeons, and the need to control people's lives, especially women's lives.

Women have to be modest by disappearing under a bedsheet; that is one big no-no in my notebook.

When I see a guy wearing shorts and a t-shirt and his wife walking behind covered from head to foot pushing a pram in hot weather, it makes me sad.

I also can't fathom religious prohibition of delineating the human form in Art for instance.

Quote Originally Posted by ConantNHolbrook View Post
    I'm not sure where Bham gets the idea that the south end is increasingly abandoned. Its actually pretty crowded around here.
    U.S. Census data > Internet booster

Just the thought of Hamtramck, home the shot and a beer working stiff bar, going dry kind of cracks me up. I can just see Stosh and Caz finding their watering hole closed and going, "WTF?? this is Hamtown".

However once sharia law is imposed and hijabs mandated by the republican guard, life will go on unaltered for the grandmothers in their babushkas. Of course then there are the original Hamtramck hijabi's, the Catholic nuns.

And they don't have to be unattractive either.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post

Mormon dominated cities follow Mormon rules if it applies to you or not.
    They still have bars.

Quote Originally Posted by Hamtragedy View Post
    This is some funny $hirt right here.

Stepped foot into Hamtown lately? South of 8 Mile even? Any idea who's selling the booze? Been in any of those bars? Ever met a Muslim? Ever talked to one? Ever met one in a Hamtramck bar? My guess is no no no no no. Enjoy your paranoia.
    You are going to find that this is the disappointing case with most of the posters on DY which aren't even Wayne County residents.

Quote Originally Posted by Gpwrangler View Post
    They still have bars.
    Sure they do,but when a area becomes a majority everybody else becomes a minority.

Try Fla,sections that would dwarf Hamtown have become micro countries and if you do not speak the language you need to move,because it will be impossible to even do simple tasks like daily shopping.

Kissimmiee used to be redneck town 20 years ago now if you do not speak Spanish it becomes a rough way to go,even major brand stores have to be prodded to employ at least one person in management that speaks English,the local vo-tech does offer free Spanish lessons but not English,if you are not bilingual you will be hard pressed to find work,you will not graduate from high school without taking a mandatory Spanish language class.

That is how it works when a majority rules,they do not need to assimilate,you either need to assimilate into their culture or move,it is not paranoia,it is a proven fact.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    That is how it works when a majority rules,they do not need to assimilate,you either need to assimilate into their culture or move,it is not paranoia,it is a proven fact.
    But that's pretty much how immigration patterns work. Several decades ago, you might have felt uncomfortable living in Hamtramck if you didn't speak Polish [[or Hungarian in Delray, or Greek in Greektown or ...). But the next generation realizes they need to assimilate if they don't want to spend their life in the few square [[miles, blocks) where they grew up. As people move up and out, they get replaced by a different immigrant group.

I don't believe Hamtramck will ban alcohol, but there's an odd symmetry to the reactions to the suggestion. One of the forces leading to Prohibition was the perception that all those darned immigrants - the Irish, Germans and Italians - introduced their drinking ways to sober, hardworking Americans. Now, new immigrants want to do the opposite - take away our God-given right to a cold one.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    Just the thought of Hamtramck, home the shot and a beer working stiff bar, going dry kind of cracks me up. I can just see Stosh and Caz finding their watering hole closed and going, "WTF?? this is Hamtown".

However once sharia law is imposed and hijabs mandated by the republican guard, life will go on unaltered for the grandmothers in their babushkas. Of course then there are the original Hamtramck hijabi's, the Catholic nuns.

And they don't have to be unattractive either.
    Well, If you can't dazzle em' with brilliance, baffle em' with bullshit.

Quote Originally Posted by Hamtragedy View Post
    This is some funny $hirt right here.

Stepped foot into Hamtown lately? South of 8 Mile even? Any idea who's selling the booze? Been in any of those bars? Ever met a Muslim? Ever talked to one? Ever met one in a Hamtramck bar? My guess is no no no no no. Enjoy your paranoia.
    Another irrelevance. Nobody goes to places they don't want to go to. I wouldn't go to North Africa to find out that I didn't want to go there. The discussion was about muslims/sharia not Hamtown. You can make up as many silly questions as you like, it doesn't change the thrust of the observation re the Marshall Texas argument floated by gazhekwe. And it seems you're the one with the paranoia, not me. Go and get a beer while they'll still allow it, and don't forget to wear your Hijab.

Nah you are pretty paranoid. You hear a word like Sharia and immediately become fearful without really knowing anything, much less any muslims that live in the area. I have been fortunate enough through my job to meet many people of the Islamic faith and the observations and fear exhibited by people like you are completely baseless.

Hamtramck went from a polish town to a Muslim city in less in 20 years. Unbelievable. There will be a Muslim mayor coming soon.

Quote Originally Posted by southen View Post
    Nah you are pretty paranoid. You hear a word like Sharia and immediately become fearful without really knowing anything, much less any muslims that live in the area. I have been fortunate enough through my job to meet many people of the Islamic faith and the observations and fear exhibited by people like you are completely baseless.

An all new Muslim Hamtramck city council has already proposed Sharia Law. If the law in their city was passed. Anyone committed any crimes from stealing from showing your draws in their hood will be arrested, have their hands chopped off or be stoned and your body will be crucified or hanged in public square. I don't think the U.S. gov't will not accept it.
    Last edited by Danny; November-08-15 at 02:53 PM.

OK, so inform us. Please tell us/me why you don't believe that a significant number of Muslims do not believe that Sharia Law is something that can and should be adopted in western secular societies.

I don't think its something to worry about -- but get us past the talking points and tell us your thoughts. And saying as you did that you know some Muslims and that's enough to convince you that there's nothing to fear.

This has to be setting some kind of record for stupid thread. Move along, folks. Nothing to see here.

It's a clash of civilizations. It's not as silly as you want to make it because you can't imagine that there are folks pushing to get Sharia law accepted on par with civil law. What does that mean to you? Maybe very little if you are not subjected to Islamic precepts. If you care about the division of State and religion, then you may change your mind about the paranoia diagnosis.

So have I and no matter how nice someone is, they have beliefs that conflict with western views.

Yes, let's all be afraid of an unconfirmed internet report that a "small group" of Muslims wants to ban alcohol sales. I'd say the threat posed by Muslims has a LOOOOOONG way to go to match that posed by the Christians to my basic freedoms and liberties. Ban abortion, ban gay marriage, put prayer and the Bible in public schools, put Christian iconography in public buildings, restrict birth control, the list goes on and on. The Republican frontrunner [[Ben Carson) is a fundie Biblical literalist and Young Earth Creationist who's tax plan is "tithing" because that's what God says in the Bible, and you all are afraid of Muslims pushing their religion on us? You all have some fucked up priorities.

If the Muslims want to pass a Sharia code, maybe all they should do is label it as "pro-family values" legislation and then millions of white conservatives will support it. Remember kids, it's OK for government to restrict things in the name of Jesus, but not Allah.

Quote Originally Posted by aj3647 View Post
    Yes, let's all be afraid of an unconfirmed internet report that a "small group" of Muslims wants to ban alcohol sales. I'd say the threat posed by Muslims has a LOOOOOONG way to go to match that posed by the Christians to my basic freedoms and liberties. Ban abortion, ban gay marriage, put prayer and the Bible in public schools, put Christian iconography in public buildings, restrict birth control, the list goes on and on.
    Thank you, thank you, thank you aj. With all the ridiculous Christian BS we have to put up with in this country, and a whole spectrum of our politics dedicated to holy rollers and RCs trying legally impose their beliefs on the rest of us. But just let one little town elect a majority of Muslims to their city council, and someone somewhere whisper about restricting alcohol sales, and some folks go into "they're taking over!, sharia law!, sharia law!" panic mode.

I'm sure there were people around who were fortunate enough through their job to meet nice Germans but it didn't stop WWII killing 60,000,000 and re arranging our world. There is none so naive and blind that cannot see the worldwide trends developing before there eyes and only focusing what happens at the end of their nose. Your myopia enables the problem.

Default No I'm Not Christian

“Christian evangelists [[zealots) claim Starbucks fanned 'war on Christmas' with minimalist holiday red coffee cups”.
    How dare Starbucks not have a Christian themed cup – shove that religion down my throat all you want – I throw it back up every time.

Name:  920x920.jpg
Views: 309
Size:  35.0 KB

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nati...icle-1.2427180
    Last edited by SDCC; November-09-15 at 06:57 AM. Reason: forgot the stupid link

According to the Click on Detroit article I posted, some of these council members are already on their second term. Why not look and see what they've actually been doing so far before jumping to conclusions? Whatever it is, the voters in Hamtramck must be satisfied with it.
    Everyone else's opinion, doesn't matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Pam View Post
    According to the Click on Detroit article I posted, some of these council members are already on their second term. Why not look and see what they've actually been doing so far before jumping to conclusions? Whatever it is, the voters in Hamtramck must be satisfied with it.
    Everyone else's opinion, doesn't matter.
    You're up early Pam; couldn't you sleep?
    It could be, of course, that by now a majority of the voters are muslims and weren't allowed to vote for an alternative or else! Then everybody's opinion that's not muslim should matter.
    Last edited by coracle; November-09-15 at 07:43 AM.

Info. on what the council actually does:

http://www.hamtramck.us/council/AgendasandMinutes.php

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast