Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

You know the problem with this kind of "incident" is word of mouth. Negative word of mouth travels faster and farther than the good kind.

Is there any coverage of this other than the Channel 4 three-paragrapher. How can you all even have this discussion? There was no description other than 'found dead,' i.e. bullets, wounds, etc. He could have been dumped there. He could have done any number of things. It might not be a homicide. Or it could have been a premeditated hit/execution, yet everyone is just going to assume based on three paragraphs that a regular Detroiter was just strolling or jogging down the cut and ran into some tough customer...who killed him.

We can certainly have the discussion about how the Cut has zero eyes on it [[except for anyone else who is down there with you), but as to the nature of this crime, we know nothing. And yet we are already invoking comparisons to RO. what? disgraceful...

Quote Originally Posted by Mackinaw View Post
    We can certainly have the discussion about how the Cut has zero eyes on it [[except for anyone else who is down there with you)...
    So for arguments sake, lets say that foul play was involved in this young man's demise.

http://detroit.cbslocal.com/2014/07/...-nature-trail/

This bike path had no eyes on it either, but I haven't heard anyone from Armada advocating for it's surveillance [[and not assuming you are either re: the cut).

Just sayin...

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    Now it's a whole new story. That sucks. I've been affected by suicide, done or attempted, 4 times in the past year. And it's simply awful for everyone, obviously. So sad...

Let's compare apples to apples, shall we? There have been 2 murders in RO in 3 years, how many murders have there been in Detroit in 3 years? What percentage of those have been actually solved? I'm glad there has only been "one" murder in the DC, and not more. I also question, with all the cameras and call boxes, why no one saw what was happening, and why the person's body was "discovered".
    It was a suicide. We're back to zero murders ever taking place on the Dequindre Cut.

Ah.... but we still have 2 suicides and an attempted 3rd one... in Royal Oak... all within the last 5 months!!

http://archive.freep.com/article/201...shooting-range

<Sarcasm alert off>

Actually suicides know no bounds, nor zip codes, nor socio-economic classifications... they are a very very sad part of life....

Good call. The wind probably blew his body into the wooded area and everything out of his pockets.
    Where was it reported that everything was out of his pockets?

Even if a body has ID, the media will describe it as "unidentified" until next of kin is notified. Sometimes this takes a day or more.

How sad this thread took off the way it did based on 3 sentences in the incessantly error-ridden Click On Detroit. Good God. Several people on here should be ashamed.

Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    Where was it reported that everything was out of his pockets?

Even if a body has ID, the media will describe it as "unidentified" until next of kin is notified. Sometimes this takes a day or more.
    Dear John, You must have insider information that I don't, about how the "media" handles notifying next of kin. Now I have heard statements similar to: "Police are witholding the names of the victims pending notification of next of of kin". I would think in this day and age of instant communication, letter writing would be a lost art. I guess you learn something new everyday. The public chastising, though, kind of has that Southern Preacher controlling feel to it.
    Last edited by Honky Tonk; October-26-15 at 11:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
    It was a suicide. We're back to zero murders ever taking place on the Dequindre Cut.
    Cue the criticism of MetroTimes, that Ferndale based, Cleveland owned rag for suggesting that the other hand was gripping his dick in "a moment of autoerotic asphyxiation" How dare the death involve something other than cold blooded murder.

it appears MT has removed the article, originally titled "Was the body in Dequindre Cut a victim of autoerotic asphyxiation?" Several people responded in horror that this be even suggested, since obviously it wasn't a biblical sanctioned sex act.
    Last edited by detroitbob; October-27-15 at 12:47 AM.

I use the Dequindre Cut frequently for bike rides during warming months. I have never seen anything that made me feel unsafe.

There's a lot of unknown details about the body found. Was the person murdered there? Or did someone simply just dump the body off one of the bridges?

All of the Detroit naysayers are feeling pretty proud today, as they can focus their negativity on what is one of Detroit's bragged about recreational resources. The comments in some of the news articles are funny. So many people that have never stepped foot on the Dequindre Cut having so much to say about it.

EDIT: Saw it was a suicide. It's a sad day for a family, and for all the Detroit nay-sayers.
    Last edited by Scottathew; October-27-15 at 08:45 AM.

Suicide sucks...

The Dequindre cut Does not suck

Seriously I am a 30ish female and I run the cut after work all the time. I

have never felt unsafe..well expect this one time when I was running under a bridge and I heard this terrible ruckus in the bushes and was SURE a deranged homeless person was coming to kill me. But alas it was a bird flying straight out of the brush and straight towards my head...I'm 100% positive the people watching the camera's on the cut pee'd themselves laughing at me swatting at and running away from the winged attacker.

I love the solitude of the cut and the smiling faces I see biking/walking/running/ by

Prayers to the man and his family.

As to some of you: I hope you learned your lesson. Three paragraphs-- not a basis for forming a conclusion. You exhibited one of the worst tendencies that holds back our politics and dialogues in America-- snap judgment. I am ashamed that this bad tendency is right at home even among Detroit boosters.

Still valid to talk about the ups and downs security-wise of the cut, whether or not incidents have actually happened. People bring security, though, that is one thing I know. So I hope it continues to be more and more used, day and night.

^^ Notice that this MLive article was posted around 6:30 last night, and there are no comments below it as of right now. Not one.

Oh well! there goes the ghetto hood.

Quote Originally Posted by detroitsgwenivere View Post
    ^^ Notice that this MLive article was posted around 6:30 last night, and there are no comments below it as of right now. Not one.
    Good observation.

Quote Originally Posted by Mackinaw View Post
    Is there any coverage of this other than the Channel 4 three-paragrapher. How can you all even have this discussion? There was no description other than 'found dead,' i.e. bullets, wounds, etc. He could have been dumped there. He could have done any number of things. It might not be a homicide. Or it could have been a premeditated hit/execution, yet everyone is just going to assume based on three paragraphs that a regular Detroiter was just strolling or jogging down the cut and ran into some tough customer...who killed him.

We can certainly have the discussion about how the Cut has zero eyes on it [[except for anyone else who is down there with you), but as to the nature of this crime, we know nothing. And yet we are already invoking comparisons to RO. what? disgraceful...
    Prescient observation.

In all fairness, the "murder" alarm was raised due to lack of information and words like "homicide investigation" from the beginning reports posted. The facts are: he was found dead and had a belt around his neck clutching it in one hand. Sex act? Murder/struggle? Suicide?

Better questions are: what were the events leading up to? Who was he hanging around with? and What brought him there?

The fact that the body was found as soon as it was after the function shows that there is some activity there be it joggers, dog walkers, or even psychotic avians disguised as deranged bums.

This kind of thing happens quite often anywhere-Boston, Up north in Marquette, Fargo? So, how do we address it without making it be a negative reflection on Detroit? Speaking of negativity-maybe lack of comments after such news reports is a good thing [[having seen too much of the hideous bile some childishly spew with complete disregard to a tragedy on many of these news sites). Than again, what is not being said could say a lot more than we consider.

The real gravity of this is I feel like I've seen that kid at functions before. In fact, that night was odd. It was a full moon and I ended up freakishly landing into a house party the minute I arrived in the Corridor.

Lots of the kids there were about his age. It was an art crowd that had enough taste to get into the Halloween spirit [[or just blow off steam from working at some bar/restaurant) and have dual turntables spinning, but far too many of them were like "Where's the blow at?" which was a big turn-off. I wouldn't be surprised if most of the kids there knew him in some way. Sad. My regards to family and friends.

The stuff people say. If you are afraid of the Dequindre Cut, then you probably should not bother to read DetroitYes. You are obviously just ... afraid.

Quote Originally Posted by RickBeall View Post
    The stuff people say. If you are afraid of the Dequindre Cut, then you probably should not bother to read DetroitYes. You are obviously just ... afraid.
    Or belong in Birmingham.

Quote Originally Posted by RickBeall View Post
    Fear is a very valuable tool in self-preservation. The fact that some people are cautious about an isolated rail cut in the middle of the most dangerous first world city on the planet is hardly odd or illogical.

I personally have no fear of the Dequindre Cut, but it isn't unreasonable to exercise caution in a city with outrageous crime figures and minimal police response.

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post
    Fear is a very valuable tool in self-preservation. The fact that some people are cautious about an isolated rail cut in the middle of the most dangerous first world city on the planet is hardly odd or illogical.

I personally have no fear of the Dequindre Cut, but it isn't unreasonable to exercise caution in a city with outrageous crime figures and minimal police response.

So in other words Detroit is no different then any other urban city in the world,and quickly becoming suburban,one needs to be aware of their surroundings and use common sense.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast