Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 5 of 20 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 15 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by bust View Post
    Democrats will be elected, they'll be blamed for all the problems they inherited despite any progress they'll make, then next election Republicans will be chosen by an impatient public only to make the same kinds of mistakes again...

By the way, I'm not beholden to the Democrats. And I'm not talking local politics. But I've seen this pattern time and time again. Haven't you?
    Yes -- but the pattern is just as true in the opposite direction -- but its very true.

And as long as we buy into these stories told by the parties -- and keep electing politicians instead of leaders we shall continue to see the pattern.

Grazie Cher for helping out......
    http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/...crisis-n498226

Maybe we can get Quincy Jones to put together a "We are the World" songfest for helping out Flint... while the blame game continues among politicians....

Quote Originally Posted by maverick1 View Post
    So you're ok with whomever you feel is your leader to risk your, and your family's safety, health, and well being for efficiency and cost savings?
    Honestly, that must be the most moronic thing I've read from this boot licking clown. You NEVER take risks when it comes to the public's safety. Wesley is a fucking tool.

I don't believe Snyder or his crony woke up one morning and said, "Bwahaha! You know what would be a really crazy-cool thing to do today? Poison some people!" More than likely any effects on the people of Flint simply weren't a consideration to them at all. It's what happens when you try to "run the government like a business", since businesses are notably amoral about the effects of their processes on people [[pollution, anyone?).

This is the inevitable end-point of conservative ideology, which holds that minimizing government spending is all that matters, never mind the quality of the products or services government produces. After all, if you're dependent on the government for water or roads you're a looter and a moocher, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Don K View Post
    I don't believe Snyder or his crony woke up one morning and said, "Bwahaha! You know what would be a really crazy-cool thing to do today? Poison some people!" More than likely any effects on the people of Flint simply weren't a consideration to them at all. It's what happens when you try to "run the government like a business", since businesses are notably amoral about the effects of their processes on people [[pollution, anyone?).

This is the inevitable end-point of conservative ideology, which holds that minimizing government spending is all that matters, never mind the quality of the products or services government produces. After all, if you're dependent on the government for water or roads you're a looter and a moocher, right?
    Don't forget being a "taker".

I see right after Michael "Makin' money off other people's misery" Moore got on TV, Jesse "Never pass up an opportunity to get in front of a camera" Jackson came to town. Can Al Sharpton be far behind ?

Quote Originally Posted by lpg View Post
    I see right after Michael "Makin' money off other people's misery" Moore got on TV, Jesse "Never pass up an opportunity to get in front of a camera" Jackson came to town. Can Al Sharpton be far behind ?
    Frankly, in this instance, I don't care who jumps on the bandwagon. This is an attrocious situation and the more attention focused on it, the better. If only Bill Gates would direct a little of his third world fund over here for a few months. Or years.

Quote Originally Posted by lpg View Post
    Where were all these good fair people looking out for the residents of Flint when the DWSD was backing over the residents of Flint with a truck year after year, decade after decade for Flint's misfortune of being on the end of the water pipe?

He thanked Bernie Sanders for issuing a statement Saturday echoing Moore’s call for Snyder’s resignation, blaming the governor for poisoning the city’s population of about 100,000 people.

“There are no excuses,” Sanders wrote. “The governor long ago knew about the lead in Flint’s water. He did nothing. As a result, hundreds of children were poisoned. Thousands may have been exposed to potential brain damage from lead. Gov. Snyder should resign.”
    Last edited by Jimaz; January-17-16 at 11:28 PM.

What a media whore. The Big 3, Jackson, Sharpton, and Moore.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    you prefer a criminal like Snyder?

Add him to the pile many will argue at this point. Albeit the 'damage control' mode.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroiterOnTheWestCoast View Post
    Last edited by Zacha341; January-18-16 at 02:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroiterOnTheWestCoast View Post
    Seriously, WTF are you talking about? Those are my ONLY two choices???? There will always be people taking advantage of other peoples misery to line their own pockets, under the guise of "helping" their cause.
    Last edited by Honky Tonk; January-18-16 at 06:43 AM.

Seriously, WTF are you talking about? Those are my ONLY two choices???? There will always be people taking advantage of other peoples misery to line their own pockets, under the guise of "helping" their cause.
    How is Michael Moore making money off of this?

Pam, I'm not going to bother answering your question because you don't hit me as being that naive.

Quote Originally Posted by Pam View Post
    I'm sure he's not making nearly as much money as Snyder and his cronies will cost Michigan taxpayers for their incompetence and the blatant cover up of their incompetence.
    Last edited by 313WX; January-18-16 at 10:33 AM.

Doubt he's making money directly. Gains in celebrity. Just spell my name right.

So we have a crisis. Mid-sized American city can't deliver water properly -- one of the most basic purposes of government.

And what do we do? We find a scapegoat. Someone who we already hate just happens to be the one to blame. Gee, if only we had elected Virgil this never would have happened. If only we'd elected Mitt this never would have happened.

Folks. Kinds souls. Forgive my sins of differing opinions and realize that the problem wasn't election results -- it was systemic. Years and years of problems piled on top of problems. Flint's a basket case.

It probably feels good to watch Mike, child of Flint and blamer of the right score a point. Yet it wouldn't have changed a thing had Pope Francis were governor of Michigan.

Congrats Mike. You and Cher got Synder with a reprise of the great Detroit bottled water joke. And Rick's career is over. He'll join many others who dared threaten the great liberal project -- and never been heard from nationally again.

Nothing will change in Flint as a result of this. Sure, the water issue will be solved. But nothing else. And the Republican right will be correct that Snyder should have stayed away from trying to help Detroit and Flint. They didn't want help from his kind.

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    I'm sure he's not making nearly as much money as Snyder and his cronies will cost Michigan taxpayers for their incompetence and the blatant cover up of their incompetence.
    You're probably right 313WX. Tell me, how much DID Snyder make, and how did he make money off of "incompetence" ?

You're probably right 313WX. Tell me, how much DID Snyder make, and how did he make money off of "incompetence" ?
    I never said Snyder made any money off the Flint water crisis he and his cronies are responsible for.

But as someone who's required by law to pay taxes imposed by the State of Michigan, more of my hard-earned money will have to come out of my pocket to pay for something that could have been easily prevented if he and his ilk didn't think they knew-it-all with trying to run a government like it's a business.

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley Mouch View Post
    Doubt he's making money directly. Gains in celebrity. Just spell my name right.

So we have a crisis. Mid-sized American city can't deliver water properly -- one of the most basic purposes of government.

And what do we do? We find a scapegoat. Someone who we already hate just happens to be the one to blame. Gee, if only we had elected Virgil this never would have happened. If only we'd elected Mitt this never would have happened.

Folks. Kinds souls. Forgive my sins of differing opinions and realize that the problem wasn't election results -- it was systemic. Years and years of problems piled on top of problems. Flint's a basket case.

It probably feels good to watch Mike, child of Flint and blamer of the right score a point. Yet it wouldn't have changed a thing had Pope Francis were governor of Michigan.

Congrats Mike. You and Cher got Synder with a reprise of the great Detroit bottled water joke. And Rick's career is over. He'll join many others who dared threaten the great liberal project -- and never been heard from nationally again.

Nothing will change in Flint as a result of this. Sure, the water issue will be solved. But nothing else. And the Republican right will be correct that Snyder should have stayed away from trying to help Detroit and Flint. They didn't want help from his kind.
    This is a very odd point of view. There is really no doubt that the state screwed up here in multiple ways. I don't think Gov. Snyder was deliberately trying to poison the people of Flint, but incompetence has a price. His lack of a political future is a result of that, not a result of "threatening the great liberal project", whatever that might be.

Pam, I'm not going to bother answering your question because you don't hit me as being that naive.
    No, I want to know why you think that. He is from Flint. Maybe he actually cares about the people there?

Quote Originally Posted by Don K View Post
    Ding, ding, ding... a winner.

What happens when you "run government like a business" is you treat citizens like employees or bad customers, i.e. as "costs". This is where all that "makers and takers" rhetoric inevitably leads to.

I'll tell you who is making money off of this — the private-sector bottled water industry.

This has all the earmarks of Disaster Capitalism.
    Last edited by Jimaz; January-18-16 at 12:00 PM.

Yep, it's ALL their fault. Nice deflection.

No, I want to know why you think that. He is from Flint. Maybe he actually cares about the people there?
    I'm sure on some level he does care. Which is why, after he made his fortune, like so many before him, he moved on to greener pastures. Michael Moore also cares deeply about his name recognition and promoting his new movie. You may recall a few month's back, when his new movie came out, and Donald Trump suggested putting Syrian immigration on hold until the vetting process could be looked @, Michael Moore posted a Photoshopped photo of himself holding a sign in front of Trump Towers announcing his "We Are All Muslim" campaign. He deeply cared about them too. Shortly after, there were the San Bernardino murders, followed by a cop getting shot up in Philadelphia, [[in the name of Islam), followed by an actual Syrian immigrant shooting up someone in either France or Germany, again pledging allegiance to Isis. Michael Moore's campaign fizzled out. Now Michael Moore reinvents himself as an activist, deeply concerned about the people of Flint. Why is it all these guy's appear whenever there's a big name media event news story? Why is it you hear crickets when a car full of gang bangers takes out a 6 year old by spraying the house with an AK-47? Call me skeptical.
    Last edited by Honky Tonk; January-18-16 at 01:49 PM.

Page 5 of 20 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 15 ... LastLast