Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

It sounds like some of the comments in this thread are implicitly tying an increase in the white population to a revival of the city and an overall population rebound. I don't think that native-born middle class whites moving in is a good barometer of whether the city has mitigated the population losses. Obviously it doesn't hurt to have middle class whites moving in but that demographic generally isn't the accurate litmus test for broad increases in population. Chicago is an excellent example of why.

I think the most accurate measure of this is whether Detroit's foreign born population is showing a meaningful increase. For instance, NYC had stopped its population losses through foreign immigration decades before gentrification became a word.

Quote Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
    It sounds like some of the comments in this thread are implicitly tying an increase in the white population to a revival of the city and an overall population rebound. I don't think that native-born middle class whites moving in is a good barometer of whether the city has mitigated the population losses. Obviously it doesn't hurt to have middle class whites moving in but that demographic generally isn't the accurate litmus test for broad increases in population. Chicago is an excellent example of why.

I think the most accurate measure of this is whether Detroit's foreign born population is showing a meaningful increase. For instance, NYC had stopped its population losses through foreign immigration decades before gentrification became a word.
    I would agree that its not a good barometer. But it is one signal. Each signal is important. But yes, its not the main signal.

I didn't think people were linking the two so much -- just saying that its an indicator. Judging people's implicit thoughts is dangerous. Gets you in all kinds of trouble.

I've been thinking a lot about how lovely the University District is lately, but the crime and schools deter me, a 30 something with two kids, from making the leap.

I'm also way interested in Capitol Park, but renting at $2.00 a square foot is too steep for me, since I want a spacious place at this point in my life.

Quote Originally Posted by 1953 View Post
    I've been thinking a lot about how lovely the University District is lately, but the crime and schools deter me, a 30 something with two kids, from making the leap.

I'm also way interested in Capitol Park, but renting at $2.00 a square foot is too steep for me, since I want a spacious place at this point in my life.

Despite my great affection for the neighborhood, I can't really disagree with you about the problem with schools in the University District. People send their kids all over the place, some to Gesu, some out of town, some to DPS. If you have a 7-12th grade boy, UD Jesuit is a great option, but if you have a girl you have a problem. And of course UD Jesuit isn't exactly cheap. There also aren't that many kids in the neighborhood these days, so just finding people to do kid-type things with isn't so easy. I don't see kids out on the street much. It's too bad, because a lot of the houses are really well-suited for families with kids.

I find the crime level pretty tolerable with moderate precautions, but I know it is too much for a lot of people. I'm not someone who thinks people should live somewhere that makes them uncomfortable. Hopefully you can find a place somewhere that suits you.

Default Gentrification of Detroit Leaves Black-Owned Businesses Behind

Noticed this article and thought I would add it to this thread.

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/nbcblk/g...behind-n412476

Quote Originally Posted by SDCC View Post
    Noticed this article and thought I would add it to this thread.

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/nbcblk/g...behind-n412476
    These types of articles are so hilariously wrong you wonder if if the journalists are laughing while typing away. There's another article in the Freep this weekend saying that gentrification is apparently kicking out all of Detroit's poor and independent businesses. Apparently that's why retail is so sparse; it's the yuppies fault.

Detroit has never been poorer and less "gentry". 95% of Detroit has weak retail demand and major concerns with crime and public services. For black-owned businesses in Detroit, gentrification is about as relevant a topic as the Loch Ness Monster. 7 Mile/Hayes, Dexter/Davison, Grand River/Lasher etc. won't see an organic, gluten free bakery for dogs in any of our lifetimes.

8,000 middle income whites moving to down/midtown couldn't possibly be anything but good for black owned business downtown. Rent may go up for them but so to should sales.

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post
    Detroit has never been poorer and less "gentry". 95% of Detroit has weak retail demand and major concerns with crime and public services. For black-owned businesses in Detroit, gentrification is about as relevant a topic as the Loch Ness Monster. 7 Mile/Hayes, Dexter/Davison, Grand River/Lasher etc. won't see an organic, gluten free bakery for dogs in any of our lifetimes.
    More has to be done to diversify the types of businesses to be found in urban Detroit's broader neighborhoods. I don't care to see check cashing, liquor/party stores, cell-phone stores constantly. Where are the sporting goods/athletic supplies stores? Ice cream parlors? a vegan take-out restaurant?

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyles View Post
    a vegan take-out restaurant?
    http://detroitvegansoul.com/

Quote Originally Posted by rex View Post
    8,000 middle income whites moving to down/midtown couldn't possibly be anything but good for black owned business downtown. Rent may go up for them but so to should sales.

I feel really sorry for black businesses in Gilberttown Detroit when they lost their businesses when rents went up and new owners come in.

I really feel sorry for low-income welfare folks who used to live Gilberttown Detroit that lost their apts. and condos to Dan Gilberts' Gang.

When gentrification of Gilberttown Detroit sets in, minorities and poor have got to go. Same thing is happening in more American cities.

Detroit had to survive by corporate regionalisation. Without it, the city will die. Detroit has suffered through 60 years of Coleman Young's Soviet-Castro-North Korean-esque dark ages. to Kilpatrick's Manoogian Parties. Those times ended by Dennis Archers' regional Glasnost and Dave Bing's Perestroika. For the first time in my life. Detroit is becoming Seattle-like from the movie Pleasantville where black and white structure is turning into color. Yes the welfare and poor era in Detroit is long gone. But those people have to get out from their proletarian laziness and start helping out making Detroit a true renaissance city where there better school, a good neighborhoods, police force that responds to street crime every 20 seconds and a political force that cares about the general welfare of its citizens.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2