I know I am probably beating a past thread to death but here goes....

I was born and raised on Detroit's lower East Side. We floated around the area bounded by Warren to the North, Charlevoix to the South, Conner to the West, and Alter to the East. After attending Jackson Jr. High School, I decided to go to Wilbur Wright Co-Op High School. I was told that it had the best automotive curriculum in the state and it did indeed. It had the best teachers and equipment you could ask for.

The point of this thread is this: I was a white student attending a predominantly non white school. Most of the students were either Latino or African American. This was during the early to mid 60's when there was a lot of dissension between the races. Although there was this animosity I never felt it in school. There was the occasional flare up but it was usually due to what we called, "Copping on someone's Mama" that sometimes got out of hand. But other than that we were in the school to get an education and we learned to work together despite our different backgrounds. My best friends in school were almost all non white and I left there with so many fond memories and a great all around education. My point is, maybe I'm a pipe dreamer but I don't understand why there is so much animosity today compared to then. There was a lot more racial profiling and abuse by the police back then. Where are we going wrong? It seems like there is a breakdown of communication and a feeling of animosity toward each other for no reason but color. Am I missing something here?