Quote Originally Posted by dtowncitylover View Post
Says the guy who makes up stuff all the time.

I think you're playing semantics with what "gates" mean. UDM is surrounded by a FENCE because the area is high crime, no one is disputing that. And while I've been to Columbia's campus, but not Harvard or Yale campus', it seems to me their gates are used for aesthetic purposes as well as security purposes. These colleges are located in very urban areas. Students and locals are almost forced to live together and they do. UDM, though while in a city, is farther from true urbanity and unfortunately needed the fence to keep crime away. Columbia, Harvard, and Yale aren't SURROUNDED by fences and most of their buildings are easily accessible to the public. The cities of NYC, Cambridge, and New Haven would have some serious words if they were. I cannot walk up to a building on UDM's campus like I can at the three Ivy League schools I mentioned.
1. UDM has a mix of gates [[most of campus) as well as fencing [[on the McNichols parking lot and athletic fields side).

2. Most Harvard, Yale, and Columbia buildings are not easily accessible to the public in terms of actual entry. Yes, you can walk up to most of their buildings, but you cannot actually walk in due to key card access.