Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    Daddy, what's a TV antenna?

Amazing isn't it? How rooftops used to be covered with antennas. It is so rare to see one any more. Any old timers remember the excitement of getting an electric powered antenna allowing you to change its position?
    Strangely though, with the advent of digital HD television, and the growing revolt against the cable companies, more and more people are suddenly putting up antennas again [[albeit of different type). My family's neighbor over in Ontario put up a big powered digital antenna next to his house, along with his satellite dish and wifi streaming he now gets an amazing number of crystal-clear HD channels.

Quote Originally Posted by MicrosoftFan View Post
    TV 20 keeps going in and out on my antenna. I have to reprogram every time.
    A few days later, it's still happening. Now the PSIP mechanism doesn't trigger at all.

As the Lions start tomorrow, something may be wrong with my antenna setup.

Fox 2 never registers on either antenna, no matter how hard I work at it. Thinking it may be due to VHF, I decided to try to see if I can get Fox Toledo instead as they're on UHF-still no Fox.

Plus, I accidentally broke one of the ears on one of the antennas [[the other one is a flat one), so it seems like I'm stumped here.

A rescan using two new antennas bought today at Meijer resulted in locks on 4, 9, 31, 56 and 62, plus a mysterious analog channel 37. Manually changing to digital channels 7 and 41 and moving the antenna slightly resulted in a lock on 2 and 7 respectively as well.

I'm currently experimenting with moving the antennas around a bit more and gaining locks on the rest of the major Detroit stations, but also trying to get locks on the Toledo stations to use as alternatives. If I end up with locks from stations in Lansing, Flint and/or even Cleveland, I'll be surprised.

Here's proof of the mysterious analog 37.

Well, I just got an Antennas Direct Clearstream 2V at Best Buy today and bringing it onto the second floor resulted in many more channels. Right now, I have 2, 4, 7, 9, 14, 18 [[WDWO), 20, 24, 30 [[WGTE), 31, 32, 33, 36, 38, 48, 50, 56 and 62, as well as the CTV Two station out of Windsor on 26.

BTW, has anyone [[besides me) ever managed to get Toledo channels 24 and 36 with a clear signal from your location even though both stations are purposely aimed away from Michigan? 11 and 13 are VHF stations and are therefore all-direction stations, meaning it is somewhat possible to get them here.
    Last edited by mtburb; September-11-15 at 08:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mtburb View Post
    Well, I just got an Antennas Direct Clearstream 2V at Best Buy today and bringing it onto the second floor resulted in many more channels. Right now, I have 2, 4, 7, 9, 14, 18 [[WDWO), 20, 24, 30 [[WGTE), 31, 32, 33, 36, 38, 48, 50, 56 and 62, as well as the CTV Two station out of Windsor on 26.

BTW, has anyone [[besides me) ever managed to get Toledo channels 24 and 36 with a clear signal from your location even though both stations are purposely aimed away from Michigan? 11 and 13 are VHF stations and are therefore all-direction stations, meaning it is somewhat possible to get them here.
    Just curious as to why a TV station would purposely aim away from any possible market, especially if they were capable of broadcasting to Detroit. From a sales or profit angle, it wouldn't make much sense.

Is anyone able to receive 11 out of Toledo? They're showing the Browns/Jets, giving us at least a chance to watch some Sunday afternoon football until the Lions start.

Got warmer today, so I decided to manually add new channels and I managed to get 5 back in plus another Cleveland station [[NBC 3), plus Global out of Windsor [[or Sarnia or somewhere around there).

There must be some strong tropo again tonight, as I can once again get channels 3, 5 and 43 out of Cleveland.

Quote Originally Posted by old guy View Post
    Just curious as to why a TV station would purposely aim away from any possible market, especially if they were capable of broadcasting to Detroit. From a sales or profit angle, it wouldn't make much sense.
    It's not a marketing decision, but a regulatory, technical, and commercial one. The FCC designates the stations' intended broadcast area. Transmitters are aimed to minimize signal leaking over into adjacent markets and potentially causing interference. Also, networks want to protect their local affiliates from the chance of viewers in one area tuning into affiliates [[and their advertising) from an adjacent market.
    Last edited by EastsideAl; September-28-15 at 11:11 PM.

I agree on the strong tropo. I got WKYC and WEWS from Cleveland as well as WOSU from Columbus. That was with a Winegard Flatwave on the second floor. I practically fainted when I saw Columbus PBS come in. Also 20 has been showing up as 21.3 on occasions. Anyone know what "49.3" is- some mystery channel? No signal on it so I can't test.

Anyone know what "49.3" is- some mystery channel? No signal on it so I can't test.
    That could be WNWO from Toledo, their real channel is 49. I can get it with a C2V placed next to the railings on the second floor with the back reflector facing Southfield. Yeah, there is very little programming differences between WDIV and WNWO, however, WNWO broadcasts all of Today in pattern while WDIV bumps the last hour by an hour due to Live in the D.

I also have PSIP info from WUPW, also from Toledo, but I can never get any signal there. I also have PISP from WHTV, but also no signal there [[plus, it's read as "34.4" for some reason).

For those who were watching the newscasts on WEWS, the graphics they use look nearly identical to the ones used by WXYZ and WMYD. This is because they are all owned by Scripps.
    Last edited by mtburb; September-29-15 at 08:54 AM.

Also, What's CSCN 25.9? And I also have a weird PSIP 9.3 sticking around on my TV. And for anyone looking for less violent news on WEWS you're out of luck, there's the same amount of shootings as Detroit news. Just pull in WNEM where the worst news is someone's dog ran away.

And what happened to WADL going off the air?

The FCC spectrum auction isn't until early next year and it's been previously reported that they won't be going off the air until a few months after the auction is finalized.

Just pull in WNEM where the worst news is someone's dog ran away.
    Ahhh ... WNEM ... Ch 5 Saginaw ... 1960s weatherman Jim Rush, kids show with Captain Muddy Waters ... 1970s weatherman Chet Rogoza [[sp?) - a hoot!

We had a 90ft mast with fancy antenna, "yagi", servo-rotator, the works ... scarcely got WNEM, a CBC rebroadcast from Kincardine / Owen Sound and WXYZ. Pfffttt!

For any of you, have you ever gotten anything out of Grand Rapids/Kalamazoo/Battle Creek at your location? I haven't.

Quote Originally Posted by beachboy View Post
    Ahhh ... WNEM ... Ch 5 Saginaw ... 1960s weatherman Jim Rush, kids show with Captain Muddy Waters ... 1970s weatherman Chet Rogoza [[sp?) - a hoot!
    I prefer 9 and 10 news. Simply the best, people. But no way of watching with an antenna unless you have permanent residence of the 70th floor of the ren cen.

I prefer 9 and 10 news. Simply the best, people. But no way of watching with an antenna unless you have permanent residence of the 70th floor of the ren cen.
    Speaking of which, using the exact coordinates of the RenCen:

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=29&q=id%3d8e03dacc9dc7e 2

500 feet is more like one of the 50-or-60-something floors of the RenCen, though...You can even get the Grand Rapids locals.

Just pull in WNEM where the worst news is someone's dog ran away.
    Or you can just simply watch Toronto news weeknights at 11 on CBET.
    Last edited by mtburb; October-05-15 at 10:08 PM.

Any Idea what station has an RF channel of 43? I keep pulling it in with no signal every time. Also, now that I got 43 I lost WTVS PBS.

Any Idea what station has an RF channel of 43? I keep pulling it in with no signal every time. Also, now that I got 43 I lost WTVS PBS.
    The next-closest stations with a real channel 43 are WCPX 38 [[Ion Chicago); WWRS Mayville, Wisconsin; WNED 17 [[PBS Buffalo) and WPGH 53 [[Fox Pittsburgh).

Found it- it was WCPX [[Ion Chicago) a quick repositioning of the antenna fixed it. WTVS back on the channel list. New distance record for me!

Found it- it was WCPX [[Ion Chicago) a quick repositioning of the antenna fixed it. WTVS back on the channel list. New distance record for me!
    That is indeed a surprise. I'm also surprised that two other Chicago stations with the same real positions [[WLS ABC and Spanish station WSNS) didn't wipe out WWJ and WDIV respectively.

Supposed you didn't have Ion taken out by Fox Chicago back when Ion was at the transmitter in Chelsea, didn't ya?
    Last edited by mtburb; October-06-15 at 09:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mtburb View Post
    Supposed you didn't have Ion taken out by Fox Chicago back when Ion was at the transmitter in Chelsea, didn't ya?
    I didn't have my antenna back then. But it is indeed a surprise, I did notice that WDIV and WWJ weren't coming in too great, and CBET for some reason. Anyway, WCPX wasn't even displaying any picture so it's not that amazing.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast