Quote Originally Posted by gvidas View Post
Right. Which is why I suggest you spend several weeks just soaking it in. Most people that I've watched visit [[more so a few years ago, but I think it's still true) spend the first week in culture shock.

http://artdetroitnow.com/ is fairly comprehensive in terms of art openings etc.

I'd say try for 3 weekends encompassing the third thursday of the month. Don't try to visit between october and march, you'll find the whole city is hibernating [[very few public events.)

Rent a bike. Spend any evenings that you can't find an art event at dive bars in the cass corridor or corktown [[presuming you'll end up staying at a midtown/corktown airbnb or the hostel.) Make a point of getting coffee or a meal in the outer reaches of the city [[old redford, jefferson chalmers, etc).

If you can't afford to drop a few thousand on a 2-3 week research trip [[and still plan on spending 3-6 months unemployed), then you may as well just move here [[or not.) Plan on the first apartment sucking, and don't commit to a studio sight unseen or without seriously researching how expensive it's going to be to keep your Texan ass from freezing.

I still think most of this applies to moving to any new city.
Yeah, thanks for all this info and some parts of the towns names. I was up in Detroit this past February. Came up wearing jeans, uggs and a flannel, lol. I was up visiting my fiancee and her parents in the middle of Michigan. It was definitely freezing. So whats everyone do when the weather gets freezing?