Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Biggdd point 6: Fail to get a receipt,. so that if you get a ticket,.. you'll have nothing to prove you paid. [[Even a debit card won't help,. it won't show the time, the zone, or the plate number that you paid for, only that the city charged your card an amt that calendar day).

This would be fixed with pay and display. Likely not used, though, due to higher maintenance costs involved.
    In any case, it's not that big of a deal to me, for the reason I posted.
    It appears that these kiosks are quite well accepted by most, here.
    So be it.

Quote Originally Posted by MSUguy View Post
    Memorize your plates and park it's not that difficult. No different memorizing phone numbers like before there were cell phones.

How many plates should I memorize? I have 3 on cars at the moment [[not including motorcycles),.. and the one on the car that I am near downtown in most is an especially difficult one to memorize.

But,..... I suppose that if I am ever forced to go somewhere that has a meter,.. I can just take out a pad of paper and a pen and write it down before heading to a kiosk.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    There is no parking "debacle", the meters are working better than expected. You sound a bit compulsive or paranoid if you actually look up businesses and avoid them on purpose because they don't have a private parking lot; and you think the City is keeping tabs on your movements. All this time you're taking advantage of the current rise in Detroit's business climate to make money for yourself. Please PM me the name of your business, so I can make sure I avoid it.
    It's not that I "think" the city is keeping tabs on me or anyone else,.. it's that I'm not going to go out of my way to help them do so.

Also,.. I've been working in Detroit for most of the last 40 years,... been through thick and thin. So I feel no guilt about making back some small percentage of the money I've lost in Detroit. I not only keep my place up,. but I maintain 9 abandoned lots / houses on my street. All but two being owned by the City.

I'm here to help Detroit,.. and having been here for so long, I have a pretty good understanding about it's issues. I know that crime and lack of parking are the two biggest challenges for having a successful business in Detroit.

Detroit is [[at it's core) an old city. It was built before everyone had cars,.. and as such,.. the downtown wasn't designed with provisions for 30 - 100 cars in front of a store. Hudsn's wasn;t killed off by blacks or poverty or crime,.. it wa killed off because everyne bought a car,.. and Hudsons didn;t have any parking. So malls like Northland and Eastland sprung up,... with thousands of parking spots to park these large cars everyone had.

Loosing 1/3 of the parking spots in front of a string of stores is catastrophic. It's may be fine for a while as the there are still a lot of vacant buildings,. but as the City continues to grow economically and more and more of those buildings become occupied,.. the parking system will be a big detriment. The new operators will learn what the people that were here in the 60's knew,... and leave for the suburbs,.. which were built at a later time,... around cars.

The new system would have been OK if they just left the bollards in place. They were already there for heaven's sakes. It actually COST them money to remove them. That was a mistake.

Quote Originally Posted by gencinjay View Post
    I still don't like the machines much, but the app is great. While I originally would have wanted them to use Parkmobile, their fee is half the cost so that's a plus. It will even e-mail you a receipt if you need to expense the cost.

Bigdd you need to learn to adapt. Things change. Always have and always will. You can refuse modern amenities, but it is your fault when you're left behind in doing so. I'd also add that putting coins in a meter gives you no proof that you've paid in the event you get a ticket. Meter heads have many problems of their own that make them more unfavorable this day and age.
    There is an option to receive an email receipt via the app. I use it all the time for work.

Quote Originally Posted by 313rd View Post
    There is an option to receive an email receipt via the app. I use it all the time for work.
    The app saves your "Parker History". Here is what it looks like after I went into Circa 1890 on Cass for a couple drinks Tuesday. Zone 202.

Name:  image1.jpg
Views: 369
Size:  159.8 KB

Quote Originally Posted by detroittrader View Post
    The app saves your "Parker History". Here is what it looks like after I went into Circa 1890 on Cass for a couple drinks Tuesday. Zone 202.

Name:  image1.jpg
Views: 369
Size:  159.8 KB
    Question: What is the $.15 "Convenience Fee"? Is that for using the app?

Honky Tonk: I think a previous poster mentioned the $.15 convenience fee is charged when using the app.

That's technology for us,makes life so much easier and frees up more time to make money to pay for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobl View Post
    Honky Tonk: I think a previous poster mentioned the $.15 convenience fee is charged when using the app.
    Ok, Thanx Bobl.

We went down to the Checker Bar for ErikD's graduation celebration, and experienced a first.

Oddly, just after discussing how the new meters don't discriminate [[yet) about the two-hour limit...Zone 103 would not allow us to simply renew another couple hours.

So, perhaps only a few zones have a real two-hour limit...but most certainly 103 around the Millender Center is one of them.

Fuckin' Murphy. So, if they truly enforce the two-hour limit...which is acceptable during business hours, 9-5...I suspect that a good many people will begin to have a less-than-positive opinion of these new money grabbers.

What need is there to shift parking after peak hours?!

Who wants to bring back a discounted rate on early-paid tickets?!

It is close to time to revolt against the silliness at the edges of this new parking paradigm...even if the bulk of it is ok.

It is also time to bring the parking division fully under the guise of city government, there is truly no need to lose the top skim to private owners.

While we're at it, they need to publicize the tow & impound companies, too. There is too much corruption potential with the current scheme.

Cheers!
    Last edited by Gannon; December-12-15 at 11:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    That's technology for us,makes life so much easier and frees up more time to make money to pay for it.
    I don't know, Richard, when I think of all the time I wasted running around to businesses trying to get quarters, all the packs of gum I bought trying to procure said quarters, all the parking tickets I paid upon my return, and all the quarters stolen from my car by valet parking and car wash attendants, $.15 for something that actually works, seems like such a deal.
    Last edited by Honky Tonk; December-13-15 at 07:57 AM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3