Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default What's up with DYES website?

What's up with DYES website?

Time for an upgrade? New server, Software, More Bandwidth?

I notice packages are slowing down and sporadic.

No problem. Step one is to go to the top right corner and click on the box marked "Donate".

Advertisers have a long history of killing the goose that laid their golden egg.

There was a time when SPAM was considered a potentially well-behaved form of advertising.

It's reassuring though that greed can have such a sad outcome.
    Last edited by Jimaz; July-20-15 at 08:35 PM.

Please tell us exactly what is malfunctioning from your point of view. What is happening that was not happening before. We have made no changes in months and do not notice any issues. If you know where to get the information kindly add the browser and version you are using as well as the operating system and its version. Feel free to use the contact link at the bottom of any page to contact us privately if you are uncomfortable posting those here.

Quote Originally Posted by admin View Post
    Please tell us exactly what is malfunctioning from your point of view. What is happening that was not happening before. We have made no changes in months and do not notice any issues. If you know where to get the information kindly add the browser and version you are using as well as the operating system and its version. Feel free to use the contact link at the bottom of any page to contact us privately if you are uncomfortable posting those here.
    I use the latest versions of Firefox on a Vista machine "updated" and a Linux machine running Linux Mint "Qiana" updated.

When I am at work I would assume the delays were due to company wifi. Here I can load other sites while waiting for DYes to load. The Home page is the quickest the secondary pages have the longest delay. In the lower left on the firefox window you can see the status, It says it's waiting for DYes. When that happens I will open some more tabs and download multiple sites. Many times the other sites will be done and then I will go back to the DYes page.

Replying, reloading, editing and log in takes the longest.

I now notice it happening at home using a HP Vista machine with w/ firefox and Charter ISP. The machine is patched using ethernet to the router.

I do use Ghostery and take all precautions to keep the Vista machine clean.
    Last edited by Dan Wesson; July-21-15 at 08:33 AM.

Lowell,

Ok, now I am using the linux machine with chrome and ghostery on the Enterprise wifi. The site is running better.

Firefox is getting cranky lately about anything Flash, any connection?
    Last edited by Dan Wesson; July-21-15 at 11:03 AM.

Firefox v.39.0 for linux mint v.1

Chrome Version 43.0.2357.134
    Last edited by Dan Wesson; July-21-15 at 11:04 AM.

Spoke to soon? Was working good then it started the delaying again in chrome.

I find Chrome can be kind of buggy with sites that are set up with IE.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimaz View Post
    ... It's reassuring though that greed can have such a sad outcome.
    Just to be more clear, I was complaining there about the greed of the general advertising industry, not DetroitYES!. I know DetroitYES! is anything BUT greedy.

Here's a funny one: Yesterday, Norton alerted me that a program on my system was unsafe. It happened to be a program that I wrote myself many years ago. It's never had a problem and doesn't even try to do anything suspicious. Apparently if they don't know it's safe, they declare it to be unsafe by default. LOL! They're winging it.

I have a renewed respect for the Amish.

I don't know if this is causing your issue, but it's worth a look:
    With the latest update to Chrome, certain types of plugins, known as NPAPI plugins, are longer be available. This may be why some of your plugins are no longer working.

We suggest that you contact the website owners and suggest they change to a more modern, secure technology. Please visit our blog posts for more information: Saying Goodbye to NPAPI, the Final Countdown for NPAPI, NPAPI deprecation: developer guide.

NPAPI plugins include Java and Silverlight. If you want to use Outlook Web Access [[OWA), you can temporarily enable the flag below otherwise you'll need to use another browser that supports NPAPI.

However, as a temporary workaround you can enable a flag. Here’s how:

1. Go to chrome://flags/#enable-npapi
    2. Choose Enable.
    3. At the bottom left of your screen, click Relaunch Now.

You can use this flag to run NPAPI plugins until Chrome version 45. Please let us know if you have any specific questions or feedback.

Edited

Thanks all. Nothing found yet. I had taken Firefox off my main machines so I have yet to test that. I am using the latest Chrome on Mac and Windows with no noticeable issues. So I recommend using that browser.

There is a lot of turmoil around Adobe Flash lately as new exploits keep getting revealed. Hactivists who destroyed Hacking Team last week [a sleezeball company notorious for selling hacking exploits to authoritarian governments] found that they were harboring [and selling] two more.

For the third time in a week, researchers have discovered a zero-day vulnerability in Adobe’s Flash Player browser plugin. Like the previous two discoveries, this one came to light only after hackers dumped online huge troves of documents stolen from Hacking Team — an Italian security firm that sells software exploits to governments around the world.
    It is so difficult to keep up with Flash updates that I have simply disabled it in my browsers and only turn it on if I feel a site where it is needed is secure. [For Chrome users type chrome://plugins/ in your address bar to access that on/off switch.]

With the continual swirl of version upgrades of browsers, operating systems and software, now all multiplied by smartphone and pad versions, it is a nearly impossible task to deliver a consistent output. I think the end of the internet will come when all the computing power in the world is consumed by running updates.

I just assume everything everywhere is hacked or easily hackable, live my life accordingly, do the best one can do, take all the basic precautions and hopefully at least keep the kiddy coders out.
    Last edited by admin; July-21-15 at 09:50 PM.