Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by Gpwrangler View Post
    Robot training takes about a week. No degree required as long as you can pass the drug and background screens.
    You really don't have a clue what you are talking about!

Quote Originally Posted by aj3647 View Post
    If they are looking at Detroit, it's likely because they think they can take advantage of the city's desperation and negotiate themselves a deal where they pay little to nothing in property taxes in exchange for creating a few jobs and/or redeveloping an abandoned property. There's no way in hell a company like Adidas, which is struggling financially, is going to show up here, pay full taxes, and employ a bunch of people at $25 an hour to do unskilled manual labor.
    I think you should give them Fisher Body and all the tax incentives you can muster up or is that program for locals only?

Kinda hard to discredit a company for struggling financially trying to locate to a city also struggling financially,kinda like the pot calling the kettle black,ya think?

I am sure there are lots of other cities that would love to have the jobs and recognition even if what those jobs pay far outweighs all of the service jobs available at the sports arena that you are paying in excess of 400 million to make happen.

Maybe it would make it much easier if Detroit made a list of what was required of a potential company wishing to establish business in the city,kinda like a list of demands for the privilege.

Since you brought it up,maybe some suggestions?

There is a move in the industry to get the U.S. military to use only sneakers made in the U.S. I know that other brands have been and are being tested. Perhaps the Adidas plant is related to that movement, which could result in long term production.

Seriously? Jobs are a good thing in any quantity. "Automated" and competitive is how the world works now economically so trying to write your own script for an economic base 'the way it used be' is doomed to fail.

Welcome to Detroit Adidas.

Reality check here folks: you're fantasizing about the best and the worst possible outcomes based purely on the single phrase, "automated factory."

That could mean anything.

Here's a video of how New Balance makes sneakers. It's a fairly automated process, but there are obviously steps that are more efficient to do with a skilled employee than a machine.

Quote Originally Posted by jiminnm View Post
    There is a move in the industry to get the U.S. military to use only sneakers made in the U.S. I know that other brands have been and are being tested.
    Is this in lieu of the controversy over banning drones?

Quote Originally Posted by Wheels View Post
    You really don't have a clue what you are talking about!
    OK, maybe two weeks but I'm a slow learner.

Quote Originally Posted by rb336 View Post
    and yet their shoes are generally better constructed than Nike, Asics or, or Saucony.
    Quality has nothing to do with popularity. People kill each other for Air Jordans because of the social status surrounding them, not becuase they are objectively good shoes. Adidas shoes haven't been "cool" since the 1990's and that's part of the reason why their American market share has fallen like it has. Look at Beats by Dre. They cost hundreds of dollars and objectivley they are really just mediocre headphones. You can get Bose headphones that have superior sound quality for the same price or cheaper.

why not... corporations don't have to leave the country anymore to get cheap slave labor....

Quote Originally Posted by MizMotown View Post
    why not... corporations don't have to leave the country anymore to get cheap slave labor....
    And 60% of the public wants cheap slave labor when it comes to their benefit also,I demand $70 per hour while having little skills but when it comes to somebody working on my car or repairing my house I expect to pay little or nothing,its amazing how many expect others to provide a skilled service for less then slave wages or even for free but if the company they work for shorts them a $1 it is marching in the streets.

I buy a product that I pay $358 for and one of my competitors told me they can buy the same product for $40 cheaper direct from China,my response was somewhere up there in the rust belt there is a fellow American with a family that gets up every morning and goes to work and makes my product and for the extra $40 he or she can keep on doing that.

Most are no different then the corporations that they complain about because of the cheaper is better no matter what the end result is.
    Last edited by Richard; July-07-15 at 06:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ABetterDetroit View Post
    Seriously? Jobs are a good thing in any quantity. "Automated" and competitive is how the world works now economically so trying to write your own script for an economic base 'the way it used be' is doomed to fail.

Welcome to Detroit Adidas.
    I wouldn't roll out the red carpet just yet. They merely floated the idea of possibly coming here, nothing more. If Detroit had a nickel for every grand proposal like this that never materialized, they could pay off the entire city debt.

Also the University of Michigan just dumped Adidas as their official apparel supplier in favor of Nike.

Quote Originally Posted by aj3647 View Post
    I wouldn't roll out the red carpet just yet. They merely floated the idea of possibly coming here, nothing more. If Detroit had a nickel for every grand proposal like this that never materialized, they could pay off the entire city debt.

Also the University of Michigan just dumped Adidas as their official apparel supplier in favor of Nike.
    bingo... the proposal was merely a last ditch effort to keep the Michigan contract.... they aren't coming....

Quote Originally Posted by Gpwrangler View Post
    OK, maybe two weeks but I'm a slow learner.
    To become a controls engineer it takes a lot longer than 2 weeks, now to operate certain machines it can be a couple weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by Oddz313 View Post
    To become a controls engineer it takes a lot longer than 2 weeks, now to operate certain machines it can be a couple weeks.

Speaking of robots........

http://www.freep.com/story/news/2015...otic/29853735/

Quote Originally Posted by Oddz313 View Post
    Right. You can get a job and learn to operate a robot cell in a week or two. I wasn't referring to a degreed engineering position. And I DO know what I'm talking about

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2