Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

"Homosexual marriages may by legal, by not approved by the church."

So?

The "Church" has been on the wrong side of history for a long time so that statement isn't worth the paper it's written on.

Quote Originally Posted by Mackinaw View Post
    The people of Michigan passed a constitutional amendment not so long ago, and being reviewed in the federal courts, any sitting administration would have a duty to send an attorney to defend it.
    No, that's not true. AGs have discretion to defend laws or not.

Quote Originally Posted by gnome View Post
    It was not unconstitutional until this morning. You know that. This morning.
    The constitution didn't change last night. It was unconstitutional last night too.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    Homosexual marriages may by legal, by not approved by the church.
    It is by my most of my church!

You seemingly have no idea the the Attoney General does not work for the Governor. Schultte does not take his marching orders from Synder. The Attorney General has his own agenda.

you can be happy about the ruling today, I am personally delighted, but your misreading of history and failure to understand the basic structure of how our government works is disturbing.

Being ignorant of facts is not a crime, but rewriting of facts to meet your personal animus is trending to the risable.

"you can be happy about the ruling today, I am personally delighted, but your misreading of history and failure to understand the basic structure of how our government works is disturbing.

Being ignorant of facts is not a crime, but rewriting of facts to meet your personal animus is trending to the risable."

Nice fallacies there -- even a little uppity with all the Latin and flowery wording.

Reading is fundamental!

Quote Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
    The constitution didn't change last night. It was unconstitutional last night too.
    Explain that for me, please. If your point is that the same-sex marriage ban was wrong from the beginning, I would agree, but being wrong and being ruled unconstitutional are different.

it is my understanding that the rulings from SCOTUS are not in effect until it is read in court. Do I misunderstand something?

■"Same-sex marriage has been a divisive issue in Michigan and across our country. Recognizing that there are strong feelings on both sides, it is important for everyone to respect the judicial process and the decision today from the U.S. Supreme Court. Our state government will follow the law and our state agencies will make the necessary changes to ensure that we will fully comply."
    — Gov. Rick Snyder
    "We will honor, respect and uphold the decision of the Supreme Court of the United States. We are appreciative that a decision finally has been reached in this very significant issue."
    Michigan Attorney General Bill Schuette, whose office argued the case against same sex marriage before the Supreme Court.

http://www.freep.com/story/news/politics/2015/06/26/reaction-swift-split-sex-marriage-ruling/29329045/

Don't hold your breath for a similarly graceful response from governors down south.

Quote Originally Posted by Baselinepunk View Post
    "you can be happy about the ruling today, I am personally delighted, but your misreading of history and failure to understand the basic structure of how our government works is disturbing.

Being ignorant of facts is not a crime, but rewriting of facts to meet your personal animus is trending to the risable."

Nice fallacies there -- even a little uppity with all the Latin and flowery wording.

Reading is fundamental!
    what fallacies are you referring to?

"what fallacies are you referring to?"

And I'm the one whose ignorant?

Geeeeeeeeezzzzzzzzz

It's strange how some issues can stubbornly languish for decades then snap to a conclusion as suddenly as this.

Wait. That's what I said about the vanishing Confederate flag. What's going on lately? Has anyone noticed any flying pigs?

"Totally embraced by my church; yours does not trump mine. Get over it."

"
    It is by my most of my church!"

Frankly, I wish more Churches and places of Religious practice had more of a mindset like this.

Inclusion = good.

Discrimination and exclusion = bad.

For those who feel they've been wronged by this ruling: I suggest you look inward, reflect on what you've supported all this time and/or refer to your religious texts for some solace.

I can't pray that you will see the errors of your ways and change; that would be very inappropriate.

However, what is appropriate is my support of a Government and elected leaders that dismantle and root out all of the religious tentacles intertwined in this great Union. It is that action that will combat those little people who believe discrimination is a protection or a right to preserve something that is soooooo wrong.

I'm very happy! I LOLed when I saw this and how hard it backfired.

Approved by worldly cultures, not accepted by Christian churches.
    Unless your fire and brimestone spewing pastor of fear has totally brainwashed you, you must realize that numerous Christian churches embrace marriage equality

Quote Originally Posted by dtowncitylover View Post
    It is by my most of my church!
    An important point in all of this is that it is not the government's role to do the bidding of any church or of all churches. This is an important advance for liberty and humanity.

My Church, locally, does not like it [[I am Roman Catholic), and my Church will continue to not perform same-sex marriages. Pope Francis, several months ago, made a very elegant statement in which he recognized that "the secular states" were considering ways to accommodate other family types than those that the Church recognizes [[and that he was okay with this, in a general sense).

This case was about one thing, and one thing alone: should states be allowed to continue to discriminate in terms of state-allocated benefits and rights, based on a person's sexual orientation. A razor-thin majority of the Court, thank God, got it right.

Quote Originally Posted by Mackinaw View Post
    ■"Same-sex marriage has been a divisive issue in Michigan and across our country. Recognizing that there are strong feelings on both sides, it is important for everyone to respect the judicial process and the decision today from the U.S. Supreme Court. Our state government will follow the law and our state agencies will make the necessary changes to ensure that we will fully comply."
    — Gov. Rick Snyder
    "We will honor, respect and uphold the decision of the Supreme Court of the United States. We are appreciative that a decision finally has been reached in this very significant issue."
    Michigan Attorney General Bill Schuette, whose office argued the case against same sex marriage before the Supreme Court.

http://www.freep.com/story/news/politics/2015/06/26/reaction-swift-split-sex-marriage-ruling/29329045/

Don't hold your breath for a similarly graceful response from governors down south.
    Considering how both of these Baggers talk out of both sides of their mouths, I'll take their statements with a grain of salt

Because, if past practice is prologue, soon after issuing this statement they're working super hard with ALEC to trying and circumvent this and punish the great people of Michigan -- just like they are trying to do with the new "Roads Bill" -- just like right to work, just like the voter recall bill, etc.

They will try and have their way; come Hell or high water -- the past supports that fact.
    Last edited by Baselinepunk; June-26-15 at 11:15 AM.

Homosexual marriages may by legal, by not approved by the church.
    Which church?

I am going to raise my American flag and my rainbow flag and thank the Founders for their wisdom in the three branches of Government.

The whole idea of having legislation that exists solely to deprive a specific group the right to do something every other group can is utterly despicable. That the ONLY justification is derived from extremely rigid religious precepts is even worse.

"I am going to raise my American flag and my rainbow flag and thank the Founders for their wisdom in the three branches of Government."

There ya go!

Good on you!

Enjoy this great day -- it truly is a historic one.

I am going to raise my American flag and my rainbow flag and thank the Founders for their wisdom in the three branches of Government.
    Let's see how many republican POTUS candidates will join Santorum [[is that who it was?) in declaring they will reign in SCOTUS.

The only way I could be happier with this decision is if I were gay.

Explain that for me, please. If your point is that the same-sex marriage ban was wrong from the beginning, I would agree, but being wrong and being ruled unconstitutional are different.

it is my understanding that the rulings from SCOTUS are not in effect until it is read in court. Do I misunderstand something?
    The SC found that gay marriage is protected under the 14th amendment, which was ratified in 1868, so that's actually when gay marriage became legal. The ruling today just clarifies for everybody under the jurisdiction of the U.S. federal laws that it is indeed a protected right in the constitution.

The state AGs could have decided on their own that the law was indefensible and not pursued it to that level [[I believe California declined to appeal after the law was struck down in the lower federal court). However, they probably did gay marriage supporters a favor by doing so. It puts the issue to rest once and for all.

Last edited by Zacha341; June-26-15 at 11:56 AM.

when I heard the outcome, I thought about how many young girls and boys who are in their teens struggling with being gay. I m not going to debate the issue of how people are gay, I just happened to be born gay, have always been attracted to my own sex and never had any attractions to any man. I have been with my partner for 32 years this June

I m older and for the most will look into the benefits of something I was never allowed to participate in. Im happy, but for the most think of this
    You all may or may not agree, but there are the individuals who struggle with being gay. How many teen agers have committed suicide because of the hatred they will receive for being gay. There was an epidemic a few years ago when teen agers were taking their lives because of how hurt bad things were going for them in school, at home and among their friends......For me, knowing that this victory will give them something means all the world to me
    again, you people here have sons, daughters ,sisters, brothers, nieces and nephews.......how tragic your world would be to find out your loved one couldn't take the pain that society offers and decide to end their lives. They are out there, you may not know about what they are going thru but maybe this decision will save our young peoples lives........Jane

Good news.

However, I do see plural marriage as raising its head.

Indeed. After 15 yrs on the down low, my wife and i want to marry our best friend Cindy, for all the right reasons. Why not?

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast