Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    Last I heard, the DPD hasn't had a helicopter in years [[cuz "hard times and stuff")...

That said, I do have a concern no one [[for whatever reason) has raised. I agree the police were ultimately in the right and doing their job. But was a major police chase worth only what they suspected to be someone holding a gun? Relatively speaking, especially in Detroit, it seems like such a trivial crime to waste so much time and manpower on.
    We really don't get all of the information from the DPD, however it may be possible that if the police really saw a gun if could be indicative of a gang/drug beef going on in that area in which they felt something bad was getting ready to happen. The reason I say that is that I heard that the murder rate has gone up in the city after a downward trend. The increase may be insignificant statistically or it could indicate a drug war going on.

Quote Originally Posted by firstandten View Post
    We really don't get all of the information from the DPD, however it may be possible that if the police really saw a gun if could be indicative of a gang/drug beef going on in that area in which they felt something bad was getting ready to happen. The reason I say that is that I heard that the murder rate has gone up in the city after a downward trend. The increase may be insignificant statistically or it could indicate a drug war going on.
    As far whether there was any indication of a gang/drug beef, the last I checked, in America, an officer can not arrest someone BEFORE a crime is committed, unless there's enough probable cause to warrant the arrest.

Now true, it was the driver's responsibility to stop when the police turned of their sirens instead of speeding off [[and he obviously did so because he was parolee). And yes, there's no question the kids were killed because of his wreckless driving.

That said, here is DPD's policy on chases:

“Members involved in a pursuit must question whether the seriousness of the violation warrants continuation of the pursuit. A pursuit shall be discontinued when, in the judgment of the primary unit, there is a clear and present danger to the public which outweighs the need for immediate apprehension of the violator.

Officers must keep in mind that a vehicle pursuit has the same potential for serious injury or death as the use of fatal force. . . .Officers must place the protection of human life above all other considerations.”

What bothers me the most is we still can't even get the police officers in this town to respond to home burglaries or carjackings in a reasonable time [[crime that HAVE actually been committed), yet in this instance we see the same police going out of their way to pursue what may not have been for a crime that was committed, as far as the police officers knew admittedly knew before beginning the pursuit.

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    ...What bothers me the most is we still can't even get the police officers in this town to respond to home burglaries or carjackings in a reasonable time [[crime that HAVE actually been committed), yet in this instance we see the same police going out of their way to pursue what may not have been for a crime that was committed, as far as the police officers knew admittedly knew before beginning the pursuit.
    Well, that's kind of the definition of pursuit... going out of your way?

So you are unhappy that the police are enforcing laws. They see a handgun law being broken. They go get donuts. They turn down the radio when they hear about a kid killed in a drug gunfight. No pursuit. No risk. Easy, peasy.

You are actually complaining because you want crime fought... but you don't want them to be proactive. You want them to let some thug brandish a weapon and you want to WAIT until the crime's been committed.

You had reactive policing for years. Didn't seem to do the job. Craig tries to inspire his troops. I don't get it.

Sure, there are response time problems. But you seriously suggest they should ignore crimes in progress? I'm stunned.

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley Mouch View Post
    But you seriously suggest they should ignore crimes in progress?
    How do we know for sure [[or who even said) there was a crime in progress?

Quote Originally Posted by firstandten View Post
    There's been a drug war going on for decades. I was never aware of any let up as far as that goes.