Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Are there any users that use a tablet like mine?
    I have a Microsoft laptop, but use my tablet most of the time.
    How can I transfer pictures and links most of the time ?

Quote Originally Posted by Bigb23 View Post
    Are there any users that use a tablet like mine?
    I have a Microsoft laptop, but use my tablet most of the time.
    How can I transfer pictures and links most of the time ?
    http://www.detroityes.com/mb/forumdi...hp?11-Test-Lab

When replying, choose "Advanced"
    "Manage Attachments" [[I get an annoying black screen with a white bar, click anywhere on the black screen to close it)
    "Add File"
    "Choose File"
    Go to the location where the file, [[picture) is located, [[It's like using Windows Explorer)
    "Upload"
    Your file, [[picture) will appear on the bottom right in blue
    Then hit "Done", or repeat the process to add more photos. You might want to "Preview Post" to make sure your wording is where you want it on your post.

I haven't had any luck downloading pictures directly from the web, I have to save them to my computer or cellphone first.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Honky Tonk; July-04-15 at 09:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by rb336 View Post
    A Series II Sunbeam Tiger
    Watching Jay Leno's Big Dog Garage , and yes I'm touching myself.

I had a friend that bought a Tiger from another friend. Never saw it run though. With a 289.

I did see a 1964 1/2 with a 260 that my boss bought.
    Last edited by Bigb23; July-04-15 at 12:14 PM.

Watching Jay Leno's Big Dog Garage , and yes I'm touching myself.

I had a friend that bought a Tiger from another friend. Never saw it run though. With a 289.

I did see a 1964 1/2 with a 260 that my boss bought.
    It was a damn fun car until the engine exploded [[from something stupid the previous owner did) It was always a severe case of hot foot though

Nice article on the 64 Greenbrier on the Motor Trend web site. We Greenbriers have to stick together !

No VW's here.

Nice article on the 64 Greenbrier on the Motor Trend web site....
    1964 Chevrolet Corvair Greenbrier Classic Drive

They really do make it sound impressive.

Nice article on the 64 Greenbrier on the Motor Trend web site. We Greenbriers have to stick together !

No VW's here.
    Well, let me be the first one....

1967 VW Beetle 1300 with a sunroof and American bumpers.

[[Hi everybody, been a while!)
    Last edited by Whitehouse; July-12-15 at 06:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Whitehouse View Post
    ... 1967 VW Beetle 1300 with a sunroof and American bumpers.

[[Hi everybody, been a while!)
    Welcome back, Whitehouse.

I had a [[IIRC) 1974 VW Beetle. I liked it when it worked but that was the year they introduced a lot of new technology so it failed frequently [[switches and whatnot). It did very well in winter driving though.

Once I slid off the road and ended up on top of a pile of snow that looked oddly similar to the Beetle. The result looked like two Beetles mating. I wish I had had a camera.
    Last edited by Jimaz; July-13-15 at 07:08 PM.

1941 Lincoln Continental, our project on and off since 1980. Hope the picture came out.

Name:  Lincoln_2_1.jpg
Views: 302
Size:  237.4 KB

Default The DecoLiner

Finishing up on the bed and paint on this one.

Name:  Picture 005.jpg
Views: 319
Size:  226.5 KB
    Name:  Picture 006.jpg
Views: 325
Size:  236.5 KB

This one is patiently waiting for its turn.

Name:  Picture 023.jpg
Views: 315
Size:  251.1 KB

You're going to have to post some "after" photos.

In the 1970s you could buy some British cars dirt cheap, but they really weren't meant for cold weather. I moved from East Detroit to Nyack, NY in 1967- in 1972 I bought this 1959 Austin Healey 3000 for $400, hardtop, brand new soft top [[he didn't use it) and tonneau cover- wire wheels, the whole bit. Spent $125 or so getting it tuned up- had 29,000 miles on it at the time. Problem though- it was my 365 driver. In the winter I had to bring the battery in each night [[20 or below at night), use starter fluid and sit on a block of ice until it thawed- the foam seats sucked in all the moisture from the air- real pain! It actually did fairly well driving in snow, surprisingly enough, but the rest was a pain. Now only if I could have kept for today's market! Drove it home more than once- a gas station attendant here asked me what year 'Vette I was driving. Funny, not many British cars in Detroit at the time! [[Yes, a six foot two guy could fit into it!)
    Name:  Scan-b_0006.jpg
Views: 317
Size:  115.7 KB
    Bought the Jag MkII sedan in this photo for $185, chrome wire wheels and all. Needed a tune up and off she went. Those were the days!
    Name:  Scan-b_0003.jpg
Views: 327
Size:  102.9 KB
    I was the second owner of the Healey, the grandson of the original owner found me on Flickr, of all things, and sent me this photo of his grandfather in it, the guy I bought it from. It's still on the road [[with a beautiful restoration) somewhere in Pennsylvania.
    Name:  Cecil Taylor Healey.JPG
Views: 308
Size:  82.8 KB

Quote Originally Posted by xdet View Post
    In the 1970s you could buy some British cars dirt cheap, but they really weren't meant for cold weather.
    British cars were cursed with Lucas electrical systems. The headlights had three positions on the switch: Off, Dim, and Flicker.

The cars of my youth:

1953 Hudson Jet Sedan
    1957 Chevrolet 4dr Wagon
    1963 Corvair Greenbrier Van
    1965 Volkswagen 1500S Squareback
    1968 Plymouth Satellite Wagon
    1973 Buick Century Sedan
    1977 Toyota Corolla 2 door Hatchback

No kidding about Lucas electrical- the battery on the Healey was in the trunk- one day the CAR was flickering off and on! I could smell a burning smell- found out the battery cable into the car had worn through and was sparking back there. Had carbon arcing in the distributor cap once and was driving I-94 looking for a replacement wheel. A police officer was writing a ticket for someone and when we went under the underpass nearby the car backfired and the poor officer hit the concrete...we continued on!

Quote Originally Posted by Hermod View Post
    British cars were cursed with Lucas electrical systems. The headlights had three positions on the switch: Off, Dim, and Flicker.
    Had a Triumph Spitfire. I used to carry a spare set of plug wires, and a spare set of plugs. In the winter, you'd go to a party, and when you left, late, you changed the wires, if that didn't do it, the plugs. It would start after that. [[ah, youth) Sears had the exact replacement coil for my car. I bought a Sears coil, got rid of the Lucas, and most of that nonsense stopped.

My buddy Harold's Roadrunner- beep, beep! Wonder if he still has it.
    Name:  Harolds Roadrunner.jpg
Views: 299
Size:  57.3 KB

I like the old pics.

All those little one and one-half story brick bungalows defined Detroit 1940-1955.

I had a 1968 Mercedes that the voltage regulator went out on,ask for the part by using the Mercedes name and it was $30,it was the same as the VW beetle at $8,same as the A/C compressor which was the same as an early Ford and a third of the cost.

Some other cars were

63 chev
    64 chevelle ss
    4 65 chevs
    67 chev implala
    67 chev chevelle ss
    64,65,67 GTOs ,the 65 was a convertible tri power
    69 Mustang mach 1 [[I hated fords)
    74 ElCamino 454 ss
    69 XKE jaguar
    68 Mercedes grey market
    73 bug

and on and on,I wish I had half of them now.But they were cheap back in the day and I was not into sports,the Mach 1 a lady was broken down on the side of the highway and I stopped to help and she was so pissed she sold me the car for $200 with 65,000 miles on it.

My uncle was a Corvair freak [[while working for Ford),he had over 150 of them,6 of the Greenbrier vans,and a couple trucks? with a door that opened on the side of the bed?

Mississippi flooded and caused an embankment to cave in and bury them under tons of dirt where they sat for 30 some years.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    ...My uncle was a Corvair freak [[while working for Ford),he had over 150 of them,6 of the Greenbrier vans,and a couple trucks? with a door that opened on the side of the bed?...
    The Wikipedia article says
    A Corvair truck could be ordered as a "Loadside" or "Rampside". The Loadside was essentially a pickup truck with a standard tail gate. The Loadside was only produced two years and is the rarest of the Corvairs; production totaled 2,844 in 1961 and 369 in 1962. The Rampside had a side ramp to be used for loading and unloading cargo. These were used by the Bell Telephone Company, because loading and unloading of cable drums was eased by the side ramp.
    There's a photo at the link.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimaz View Post
    The Wikipedia article saysThere's a photo at the link.
    Nice,thanks.

Kinda make me want to go up there and kick his headstone for letting them all go to waste.

My father was always pissed off at him because he was a civil defense volunteer and they had first dibs on government stuff before it went to auction,he had a massive warehouse filled with a 50s Cessna hanging from the ceiling,he would never sell anything or use it or allow anybody else touch it and in the end it all went to scrap.

When he worked for Ford one year they stopped the employee discount on a new car [[1950s) so he went out and bought a new Cadillac to drive to work,back then if you worked at Ford the last thing you did was drive a GM product to work.The year finished he stuck the car in the garage with 3000 miles on it,they pulled it out in the mid 90s and it was wasted to nothing.

Jimaz I had the same experience with my bug in the snow first corner it went straight,I had to put sand bags in the front trunk,it had a little gas motor for the heater in the front,kinda cool.

I have a1971 BSA motorcycle. The only Lucas part left is one handlebar switch.

Quote Originally Posted by pkbroch View Post
    1941 Lincoln Continental, our project on and off since 1980. Hope the picture came out.

Name:  Lincoln_2_1.jpg
Views: 302
Size:  237.4 KB
    looks an an awful lot like the one that was recently hit by a semi on M-14.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast