Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Quote Originally Posted by emu steve View Post
    What I was trying to say is that Wings & Pistons would be 90 - 100 dates per year.

What I was getting at is there are maybe 50 non-Wing/Piston dates per year for the new arena.
    Got it, yeah that makes sense. I didn't realize initially how many other events there can be.

Quote Originally Posted by MSUguy View Post
    Even was "homerun" building a new arena just for the Pistons is silly. The public is already paying for one new area and I'm not fan of using public money for sports facilities and that exactly what will happened iif Gores get his own place. But we've crossed that bridge with the Wings arena. I want the Pistons downtown, but not a that price they are far more important things that kind of money could used for to improve the city/
    I agree, but if the Pistons do decide to share the new stadium, the prior agreements need to be revisited in terms of what the city should get. Illitch had the benefit of negotiating this as the sole sports team occupant in the arena, it is likely it factored into the sweetheart deal from the city. Now supposedbly here comes Gores within months. This was the plan all along. They have probably already started making arangements for the new scoreboard at the Palace to be moved into the new stadium...

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    I actually heard it was the Book Cadillac...

That would make a lil more sense considering the team stays at the Book the night before games.

Funny story, my girlfriend and I were staying at the Book while in town for a Lions game. After having a good time downtown until late that Saturday night we headed back to the Book. I cant remember why but we took the main stairwell to our floor. I was walking past the third floor when I noticed its entrance was nicely wood trimmed. I told my girl I had to see what was behind there.

I open the door to see a huge Lions symbol fathead on the wall, as well as designated areas for the players. We tipped toed around and checked out their film room, and were on the way to look around some more when a security guard asked us to leave, he was super cool. I was a little nervous because I grabbed a Gatorade out of a glass doored fridge in that film room.

All I can say IF the Pistons move to the new arena, can you imagine 'April in the D' with MLB, NHL and NBA seasons all overlapping and the two venues being so close?

"Day/Night" doubleheaders with the Tigers during the day and a hockey or basketball game in the evening... Pretty exciting.

"Day/Night" doubleheaders with the Tigers during the day and a hockey or basketball game in the evening... Pretty exciting.
    Pretty sweet thought....

Hopefully L. Brooks Patterson will be totally pushed to the side in the midst of the Gores' business plans. If the Palace sticks around as a concerts venue, that should be good enough.

The pistons are not moving downtown anytime soon.

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/spo...tons/28686331/

"Tom Gores and his partners are committed to investing broadly in Michigan, including Detroit and its surrounding communities, and to partnering with other business leaders on initiatives that will improve the economy and quality of life in the entire region. Pitting neighborhoods against one another is divisive and counterproductive, and misses the point.
    "The Pistons have a terrific home in Auburn Hills and ownership has invested substantially in ensuring that the Palace remains a state of-the-art arena complex as an arena, concert venue and training facility for the team. There are no plans to change that."

I won't happen yet. Possibly ever. We shall see. The economics of pistons and palace change a lot of things.

Quote Originally Posted by TTime View Post
    I had a little chuckle when I read your "urban bones" comment as I pictured a NBA player with a multimillion dollar contract choosing a not ready for prime time downtown over a mansion on Orchard Lake or or a pad in downtown Birmingham. Those so called urban bones apparently go bye bye when someone has the world by the short ones and the means to satisfy their ego. It also doesn't help that there aren't many [[if any at all) truly high end living options downtown. I'm not in the biz of guessing where someone wants to live but other than John Salley and Sergei Federov way back in he day I can't think of a major local athlete who has lived in the city recently. Someone please educate me if I'm wrong and try not to make it some player no one has heard of.
    There have been a few pro athletes who have lived downtown other than the ones you mentioned.

Rick Mahorn owned a condo near the Fisher Mansion
    James Hall [[UofM,Lions), lived in the Riverfront Towers.
    Juan Gonzales lived in the Riverfront Towers.
    Chris Webber had a condo in harbortown.
    Matt Stafford owns a condo in the Fort Shelby Towers.
    T.J. Ducket lived in the Millender Center.

Quote Originally Posted by ndavies View Post
    The pistons are not moving downtown anytime soon.

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/spo...tons/28686331/
    "There are no plans to change that" is a pretty flimsy denial. Remember that Duggan also had "no plans" to run for mayor. Whole Foods had "no plans for opening a Detroit location."

No one ever has plans. Until they do.

Gores didn't just make a big, strategic hire for show. Even if it doesnt happen tomorrow, I'd be keeping my eyes open on this one.

Sounds likes trouble in paradise at Platinum!

Quote Originally Posted by R.B.J View Post
    There have been a few pro athletes who have lived downtown other than the ones you mentioned.

Rick Mahorn owned a condo near the Fisher Mansion
    James Hall [[UofM,Lions), lived in the Riverfront Towers.
    Juan Gonzales lived in the Riverfront Towers.
    Chris Webber had a condo in harbortown.
    Matt Stafford owns a condo in the Fort Shelby Towers.
    T.J. Ducket lived in the Millender Center.
    So TJ Duckett in 07 is the most recent athlete to live downtown then it seems. Everyone else you listed was from earlier other than Stafford who doesn't live in his place. Thanks for responding, I was curious if there was an influx of current athletes taking advantage of downtown's "comeback." It doesn't look like it because I'm sure people would say something.

Quote Originally Posted by corktownyuppie View Post
    "There are no plans to change that" is a pretty flimsy denial. Remember that Duggan also had "no plans" to run for mayor. Whole Foods had "no plans for opening a Detroit location."

No one ever has plans. Until they do.

Gores didn't just make a big, strategic hire for show. Even if it doesnt happen tomorrow, I'd be keeping my eyes open on this one.
    I agree with you. Sometimes folks, like in politics, 'walk things back' but that is a nice way of saying: "What I said, I meant, but I didn't mean to say it when I said it or I need to for reasons to offer caveats, which I failed to do..."

I think they spoke the truth but said it a little too soon and without enough caveats...

One thing about caveats, etc.: It does take two to tango, and any plan to have Pistons game in the new arena is still dependent on the two sides coming to an agreement. Whenever two parties negotiate, only God knows the final outcome in advance...

I still expect that we'll see some Pistons games at the new arena this decade...
    Last edited by emu steve; June-09-15 at 08:50 AM.

Thanks.

As I posted somewhere, basketball is an URBAN game. It is not designed to be played in Trenton, AH, Canton, etc.

Man, anyone who has been to a Wizards' playoff game knows that. Folks love the Verizon Center and Gallery Place area. It is the urban environment Detroiters, including the Ilitches, would dream. Subway to the arena, bar hop before and after, food places galore. Like NYC.

And, I'd assume, the NBA players want to be downtown. They have 'urban bones'. Would a James every want to play in say Green Bay? ).

Yeah. Can you imagine any NBA player ever coming out of French Lick?

j/k. I totally agree with your premise

Quote Originally Posted by T.Low View Post
    Yeah. Can you imagine any NBA player ever coming out of French Lick?

j/k. I totally agree with your premise
    One from French Lick. One from Traverse City [[Dan Majerle).

I can imagine a NCAA coach saying he wants to go to Traverse City to watch some high school summer ball. And the AD asks: "How many D-I players from Traverse City in the last 25 years were there?" Coach says, "One or two, but that shouldn't be reason not to look for the next one." Lol.

I tried to make it into a French Lick joke, but it didn't seem plausible that a D-I coach would want to visit for a weekend... Lol.

So TJ Duckett in 07 is the most recent athlete to live downtown then it seems. Everyone else you listed was from earlier other than Stafford who doesn't live in his place. Thanks for responding, I was curious if there was an influx of current athletes taking advantage of downtown's "comeback." It doesn't look like it because I'm sure people would say something.
    Jose Valverde and Ramon Santiago both lived in the Fort-Shelby when they were last on the team a couple of years ago.

Gilbert is pushing for Gores to move downtown. Gilbert built Quicken Loans Arena in downtown Cleveland after buying the Cavaliers and moved the team from Richfield Coliseum, about 20 miles south.
    The arena was built in the mid-1990s by the former Cavs owner. It was named for him as Gund Arena.

Quote Originally Posted by Towne Cluber View Post
    The arena was built in the mid-1990s by the former Cavs owner. It was named for him as Gund Arena.
    Wow, I can't imagine that I posted [[that Gilbert built Quicken Loans Arena).

It was indeed, Gund. Wasn't he visually impaired to the point of being legally blind?

I actually went to a game in the 70s in Richfield...

Those were crazy times. I believe the WHA [[World Hockey Association) had a team in Cleveland and the Cavs were way out in Richfield.

As I remember it the CLE hockey team played at the Cleveland Arena, then there was Richfield and then the Gund.
    Last edited by emu steve; June-09-15 at 01:08 PM.

Wow, I can't imagine that I posted [[that Gilbert built Quicken Loans Arena).

It was indeed, Gund. Wasn't he visually impaired to the point of being legally blind?

I actually went to a game in the 70s in Richfield...

Those were crazy times. I believe the WHA [[World Hockey Association) had a team in Cleveland and the Cavs were way out in Richfield.

As I remember it the CLE hockey team played at the Cleveland Arena, then there was Richfield and then the Gund.
    It was actually Terry Foster who wrote that in his column. You would think he would have done some research before posting that article, but it's typical Foster. Which is why I don put much stock in this story. If you've listened to him on the radio, you'll know he does a lot of throwing shit against the wall to see what sticks.

Here's the same speculative story written by Foster on his blog[[from October):
    However, I’ve been told that the riff between former owner Bill Davidson and the Mike Ilitch group remains. Walls need to be broken down if the Pistons are to move into the new Red Wings arena. Instead there is a better chance of the Pistons moving into a joint venture with Dan Gilbert and Gores at another site.Let me go back to a previous blog. Would you rather see the failed jail revived downtown or a new basketball and concert arena? It would be silly to build a second arena when you have a brand new one down the street. But that alternative is better than having a jail and court house.
    I remember seeing the Pistons play at Cobo Arena. They did not draw very well but the team was terrible and Cobo was hardly a mecca you looked forward to playing in or visiting as a fan.
    There is a lot going on downtown. I want to see the Pistons part of the revival. The visit downtown was cool. Now it is time to find a permanent home.
    Afterall Mason does call it “Deeeetroitttt Basketbaaaaaallllll!!!!”
    http://terryfostersblog.com/?p=3005

One thing I will agree with him on is that the Pistons belong in Detroit. Every new NBA arena is being built downtown for a reason. Nets moved to Brooklyn, Sacramento is moving the Kings downtown and now Milwaukee is doing the same thing with the Bucks new arena.

I still see a lot of animosity from Detroiters towards the Pistons because they play in Auburn Hills. In a way you can't blame them because as much as suburbanites like to praise Bill Davidson, he was very selfish and bailed on the city. Had the Pistons stayed at the Joe, maybe him Ilitch and the city could have worked together and built a new arena downtown back in the 90s.
    Last edited by mikemcm; June-09-15 at 04:12 PM. Reason: added blog post

I am surprised about the writer, suggesting a "Hail Mary" option of building another arena at the jail site.
    Gores is in the business of private equity, that's how he operates and thinks. So unless the City or Gilbert build him an arena, it makes no financial sense to move back downtown until the Palace is truly outdated. It won't be for a while since he has spent over $40 million on upgrades. Another thing to consider about leaving the Palace, running 20-25 events a year, with maybe a dozen of size, is a vast step down from running 60-65, that 2/3 of facilities use. That's not enough to maintain overhead, workforce, basic upkeep, ancillary food/beverage vendors, sponsorship and corporate suites. Not to mention, the new Red Wings arena, and in this case, a new Pistons arena to compete with for the leftover. If it was feasible to survive without a core tenant, other area venues would've tried it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dbest View Post
    The more I think about this, the more it all starts to smell funny.

Think about it, Illitch says hes ready to build the new arena BUT He's going to need massive help from the city[[again) financing the project. His claims probably along the lines of: "The Wings only play so many games!" and in order to make it economically feasible from a business standpoint he needs some extra "concessions". Pun-intended, he gets a FULL concession rake!

He also gets all that PARKING REVENUE. Ok done deal, city helps him out. What does Detroit get? A renovated Eddystone and promises of future ancillary development. OK fair enough...

Fast forward less than a year into construction, all of sudden the media is publishing stories about the Pistons hiring someone to negotiate with the Illitchs? How story book!LOL

I believe this plan was hatched long ago between these billionaires and they will split concession revenue while Detroit gets none[[again) in those additional 81 Pistons games. Illitch's excuse will be that the Pistons came to the table after negotiations were finalized with the city.

"Deal's a Deal" type shit with the city getting hosed.

Think about it, Illitch gets half the concessions and all his usual parking revenue each Piston game. I might not believe it if it weren't Illitch involved.
    You might wanna check some facts. The Ilitches spent years acquiring land [[first behind the Fox, where the new arena was supposed to go in the 90s) and working through a ton of loopholes to finally build this arena. They are not gonna share or give up anything without benefiting from it. And it's their right since they are the reason this arena is happening in the first place.

Also, don't read too much into what Tom Gores has been saying. He's a savvy businessman who will sell the Pistons when the price is right... http://detroitsportsrag.net/why-woul...l-the-pistons/

Quote Originally Posted by mikemcm View Post

One thing I will agree with him on is that the Pistons belong in Detroit. Every new NBA arena is being built downtown for a reason. Nets moved to Brooklyn, Sacramento is moving the Kings downtown and now Milwaukee is doing the same thing with the Bucks new arena.

I still see a lot of animosity from Detroiters towards the Pistons because they play in Auburn Hills. In a way you can't blame them because as much as suburbanites like to praise Bill Davidson, he was very selfish and bailed on the city. Had the Pistons stayed at the Joe, maybe him Ilitch and the city could have worked together and built a new arena downtown back in the 90s.
    I noticed the addendum to your post, the video and paragraphs. Nice try though.

Maybe you were the one who needed to "check some facts" as you put it.

Joicque Bell, running back for the Detroit Lions, mentioned he lived in Detroit during a Spring 2014 interview with Drew and Mark on 105.1 FM Detroit Sports Talk station. He said something to the effect, "I live in Detroit, and I mean the actual CITY of Detroit, not Novi." Drew was slightly taken aback, and replied, "Well, there's nothing wrong with Novi."

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3