Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyles View Post
    Is this structure weather-proof? did they take into account harsh winters?
    Nah, they're going to take it down every time it rains or snows, or when it drops below 50 degrees.

Quote Originally Posted by southen View Post
    Blade Runner?

And Thank you very much. My brain was not working this morning when I wrote that.

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
    Nah, they're going to take it down every time it rains or snows, or when it drops below 50 degrees.
    Think of all the jobs that'll create....

Geez, in what universe does this display "look great"?!

Firstly, it is mounted roughly ten feet too far to the right. Parked at the curb by the ol' Ponch, the screen is cut off by the light poles. Even with these images, it is clear that it isn't even centered in the monkey bars.

Whomever planned the whole diagonal framing is simply an idiot. Sorry.

I obviously thought for a while that the actual video panels would be diagonal, too...hence my concerns about introducing extraneous video processing mathematics to map it.

But what we've got might be worse...permanent diagonal interference from BOTH sides of this see-through display. They obviously wanted the see-through feature, since it is one of the high-lighted terms in the press release, but the design team really dropped the ball by introducing such clutter.

Makes the image really tough to comprehend.

I imagine that making the diagonal bars reflective chrome might help a bit, reducing the diagonal blockage to mere shadows. That would still be putting lipstick on a pig.

Plus, the glass over the image reflected so much yesterday morning that it made the screen basically disappear. Some simple non-glare coating would've helped that.

I'm sure they can get around the Federal restrictions over advertising near a highway, since the People Mover track bisects the image as seen from Woodward. There is too much between the screen and that intersection for it to be a worry.
    Last edited by Gannon; July-22-15 at 05:03 PM.

I really don't understand all the framing behind it. Is it functional in some way? It just looks a bit... odd to me.

Yeah, I don't see anything else on the entire building that is diagonal.

I've seen that diagonal girder style of architecture in and on other buildings before. It's one of these "trendy" looking designs.

Quote Originally Posted by old guy View Post
    I really don't understand all the framing behind it. Is it functional in some way? It just looks a bit... odd to me.
    I agree. When I first saw it being erected I thought the video screen was going to take up the entire area and would be really impressive. It looks like it was done as a cheap way to modernize the old façade.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2