Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by Marlon_JB2 View Post
    Lets not forget about the thousands of employees at the Jefferson North Assembly Plant that would LOVE to grab a quick bite to eat during lunchbreak or do some grocery shopping after work. Those guys live all over Southeast Michigan.

Parkway just doesn't "cut it".
    Very true. Good point.

EDIT: There's also the Mack Avenue Engine Complex.

Quote Originally Posted by Marlon_JB2 View Post
    Lets not forget about the thousands of employees at the Jefferson North Assembly Plant that would LOVE to grab a quick bite to eat during lunchbreak or do some grocery shopping after work. Those guys live all over Southeast Michigan.

Parkway just doesn't "cut it".

If the service would be anything like it is at the 8 mile store, there would be nothing "quick" about it.

most any time of the day, you have to pack a lunch in order to get through the checkout lines. The never have enough of them open. We've given this place a good shot and will be shopping elsewhere. We've mentioned the poor service, not to mention the constant lack of stock, to the Management for a while now -- so we're voting with our feet. I understand that "all out on the floor" approach will keep theft in the backroom down but this place can't keep the shelves stocked at all.

Wish them well and hope to come back once customer service improves --- dramatically.

The only issue I have is that stores like Meijers, Whole Foods don't have the same inventory as their suburban sister stores. I have only patronized the 8 mile Meijers once and I couldnt find half of the items that I usually find at the Meijers off of gratiot.

Quote Originally Posted by Mzsuzuki View Post
    The only issue I have is that stores like Meijers, Whole Foods don't have the same inventory as their suburban sister stores. I have only patronized the 8 mile Meijers once and I couldnt find half of the items that I usually find at the Meijers off of gratiot.
    That may be true, and I found out their once charitable take on giving some folks a break on antibiotic prescriptions [[Got some Ery-Tab once as an impoverished person in Champaign, Il.-just tell em' you're from Michigan.) has been reduced in the last few years to the very ones I'm allergic to. Oh well....at least they carry decent Almond Windmill cookies.

Quote Originally Posted by Baselinepunk View Post
    If the service would be anything like it is at the 8 mile store, there would be nothing "quick" about it.

most any time of the day, you have to pack a lunch in order to get through the checkout lines. The never have enough of them open. We've given this place a good shot and will be shopping elsewhere. We've mentioned the poor service, not to mention the constant lack of stock, to the Management for a while now -- so we're voting with our feet. I understand that "all out on the floor" approach will keep theft in the backroom down but this place can't keep the shelves stocked at all.

Wish them well and hope to come back once customer service improves --- dramatically.
    It's the same at all Meijer locations.

I stopped at the location in Rochester Hills [[since I, in a rare instance, was in that area) just a couple weeks ago only for some bananas and had to wait 10 minutes JUST for a self checkout register.
    Last edited by 313WX; June-02-15 at 06:39 PM.

The Meijers in Warren on Mound isn't that bad, then again, I usually go during evening hours.

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post

I stopped at the location in Rochester Hills [[since I, in a rare instance, was in that area) just a couple weeks ago only for some bananas and had to wait 10 minutes JUST for a self checkout register.
    The one on Fort Street in Southgate ain't that bad, even at noon.

Haha. I was thinking the same thing. Absolutely true.

Quote Originally Posted by CrashDummy View Post
    Haha. I was thinking the same thing. Absolutely true.
    Agree with CrashDummy and 313WX. It's better in some places than others, but even on its best day, Meijer customer service on its best day would be characterized as "not as bad as Walmart".

The worst offenders:
    Livonia Meijer on Middlebelt...one winter day, all of the shopping carts were in the [[snowy) parking lot. But, of course, not in the cart location...just strewn all over the lot.

Gratiot Meijer is ok-ish, but God forbid you're their on a Saturday, it's a zoo at the checkout line.

Ann Arbor [[Carpenter Rd.) on Saturday, lines have been terrible.

======

On the better side...

Ann Arbor [[Jackson Rd.) Surprisingly clean, with pleasant [[but sometimes understaffed employees)

Macomb [[Hall Rd.) Also clean, but sometimes understaffed.

============

Of course, it's no surprise, that the level of customer service you're getting is related to the general education level of the surrounding pool of employees. In either case, I'm not going to the Meijer on 8 Mile because the customer service is fantastic, I go there because they have things I can't buy at Whole Foods, and it's too inconvenient to drive to Allen Park.

The Meijer by my office on 12 Mile / Telegraph is always jammed and I'm usually in and out really fast, even on the weekends when it's super jammed. There may have been a few times where it took a 3 or 4 minutes to get to a register but that's about it.

Living in Woodbridge I'm smack in the middle between the Allen Park and 8 Mile locations. Allen Park definitely is a bigger store and the selection between them in apparent.

I'm curious if E. Jefferson[[especially east of E. Grand Blvd) has the amount of residences to support a Meijer. Locally, there is a lot of vacant space over there.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the former American Axle site on the Hamtramck/Detroit border. It's HUGE, right off of 75, and could serve a TON of people.

Quote Originally Posted by 5speedz34 View Post
    Living in Woodbridge I'm smack in the middle between the Allen Park and 8 Mile locations. Allen Park definitely is a bigger store and the selection between them in apparent.

I'm curious if E. Jefferson[[especially east of E. Grand Blvd) has the amount of residences to support a Meijer. Locally, there is a lot of vacant space over there.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the former American Axle site on the Hamtramck/Detroit border. It's HUGE, right off of 75, and could serve a TON of people.

A Meijer on East Jefferson would definitely cause the prices at Parkway, Indian Village and Harbortown markets to decrease. My major concern will always be a lack of inventory. I had to email the Whole Foods corporate office because the Detroit store is not comparable to the Arlington Texas location that I used to patronize. If the major chains would stop treating their Detroit stores like the STEP sister, I would be a happy camper!

Quote Originally Posted by Mzsuzuki View Post
    A Meijer on East Jefferson would definitely cause the prices at Parkway, Indian Village and Harbortown markets to decrease. My major concern will always be a lack of inventory. I had to email the Whole Foods corporate office because the Detroit store is not comparable to the Arlington Texas location that I used to patronize. If the major chains would stop treating their Detroit stores like the STEP sister, I would be a happy camper!
    Probably would put those 3 locally-owned markets out of business, too. So one mediocre Meijers is better than that?

The stores have to stock their inventory based on what the folks who make up majority of their demographic want. Otherwise, they wouldn't make a profit.

More than likely, most of the shoppers at 8 mile and Woodward probably aren't interested in buying the items they don't stock.
    Last edited by 313WX; June-04-15 at 01:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by downtownguy View Post
    Probably would put those 3 locally-owned markets out of business, too. So one mediocre Meijers is better than that?
    IMO, yes. That's capitalism. If these markets were offering what customers wanted in the first place [[which they may not), everyone wouldn't flock to the new Meijer.

Quote Originally Posted by corktownyuppie View Post
    Of course, it's no surprise, that the level of customer service you're getting is related to the general education level of the surrounding pool of employees.
    That's a ridiculous assertion. The reality is the buck stops with management.

If their employees aren't providing acceptable customer service, they should have a process in place for corrective action and implement it accordingly.

If there aren't enough employees scheduled at any given time to provide their high volume of customers with acceptable service, then they should hire more help. Since the auto industry collapse, it seems most business owners in Michigan have sacrificed customer service by operating on skeleton crews and keeping payroll expenses low to remain profitable. That's not a sustainable way to do business.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2