Quote Originally Posted by SWMAP View Post
That I know of, the AoD did not ever "abandon" a church or building. However, about 20 years ago, the AoD did have an initiative to sell the churches of closed parishes to other Christian congregations in the city for a very low amount -VERY low amounts - to hopefully allow those congregations to establish themselves in beautiful surroundings. That sometimes worked, but more often THOSE congregations eventually abandoned their purchases. As of now, the AoD will only sell to churches that can demonstrate viability. As well, the AoD will sell a building for a "profane" use [[condos, etc) where it would not previously.
St. Stanislaus is a very good example of a now-derelict church that was abandoned by it's second congregation. St. Monica is another. St. Cyril is a good example. In the case of St. Rita, the AoD had 24-7 security pending a sale, but the plant is so big that the stripping was uncontrollable. Eventually the AoD sold that huge plant for pennies. Not sure what shape it is in now.
Never been to St. Monica's Church but I knew the pastor, Father Clark, whom I believe was there at the time of his death in 1995 [[I think).