Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Is this the place for introductions?

Hello.

My name is Bill. I live in Northern Utah and haven't really spent more than a week outside the state, except for an extended trip to Alabama, where I didn't see much of anything either.

I found this board while searching for information on Detroit neighborhoods, and I hoping to be able to stick around and ask some questions.

I write detective stories. My main character is a sort of hard-boiled type that I based on the old radio programs of the late 40's and early 50's. As part of his back story, I had him grow up in Detroit before moving away. He talks about his time there now and then, and that's where I run into a problem. Everything I know about the city I've learned from the news and the TV shoe Detroit 1-8-7 which didn't last long.

If it wouldn't be causing trouble, I'd really like some help from those who know, and love, the city to give him a better past. It's a series, and I'm reaching the point where being vague isn't going to work for me.

Assuming it's cool, where is the best place to post the questions?

Welcome to DetroitYes!, Bill. You will pick up a lot of information by just browsing the various threads here. But I would suggest a visit to our City! There are members of this forum that have vast knowledge about the City and have acted as tour guides for many others, including a fellow detective story writer. Good luck!

Thanks. I plan to look around the forum, but travel isn't really an option for me.

I wanted to learn about where Ray grew up, so most of my questions were about the way things were from about 1990 to 2010.

Finally, somenone from the Friendly Beehive State. Checkout Loren Estleman's Amos Walker Series and the decades spanning Detroit series. And, of course, Elmore Leonard will provide much insight into the neighborhoods and characters of the City.

Try Data Driven Detroit for some current and historical info. Burton Collection at the Detroit Public Library should be able to provide documentation.

I drove up to Utah last Sunday. It was closed.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray1936 View Post
    I drove up to Utah last Sunday. It was closed.
    You know, you can buy the underwear online these days.