Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by old guy View Post
    An idiot, possibly, probably. Giving him this attention? That is pretty fast.
    We live in a city full of people who can't drive for shit and we're gonna throw stones at this guy? Maybe everyone should learn to merge first. Saw a guy almost merge into the side of a semi last night.

I'm guessing no one has to brake or move over for this "idiot" when he merges onto the freeway.

Quote Originally Posted by Wheels View Post
    I was traveling at 250 kph [[155 mph) in an Audi A5 on the German Atuobahn between Munich and Swizterland and had a Mercedes flash his lights to pass.

Gannon: Just for the record a Merc is a Mercury to any car guy around the world.
    When I lived in Ireland in the mid-80's, a Merc meant a Mercedes.

155 on the state highways of Montana. 2 year old 95 Z-28 6 speed with brand new rubber and a few mild mods. Did most of the cruising between 125 and 140 and only slowed down to save the gas to make the next station. When the gas stops where close enough a full tank of fuel would last 35 minutes. I passed a Montana highway patrol car going the other way at 125 and he never turned around. Beautiful state they have out there, made a stop at glacier national park and headed back.

Quote Originally Posted by canuck View Post
    When I lived in Ireland in the mid-80's, a Merc meant a Mercedes.

Thanks, Canuck. It would be more of an issue if Ford hadn't killed off the brand...geez, it seems a natural to now bring it back in its original form...as a higher-performance brand. Unless their PR people think the association with the element is stronger with today's marketplace than the zoomy Roman god.

I could see them pushing the limits of the 3 Lincoln models through the SVT folks, so they can compete in the horsepower wars without disturbing the average Lincoln mindset.

Either way, my use of Merc in context should have been clear, LOL!

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    Got my 1970 Plymouth Duster to 100 for a few seconds just to say I did it. Not too bright when I think how lousy the steering/suspension/brakes was in those days.
    You got me beat by about 60 MPH. In my 1948 Crosley, it was floored at about 38 MPH.. I remember when a class mate passed me on his Scwinn bike equipped with a Whizzer motor. Rather embarrassing.

Late 70's. Had my motorcycle tuned and ready for a test run. 105 on the southbound Southfield freeway. Right through a State Police radar trap. Visions of me in jail and my bike hanging off the back of a wrecker with the chains crushing the gas tank [[no flatbeds back then) had me keep going to the next exit. Jumped off and stopped on the service drive. Watched him go by. Took the side streets home. Never did that again. Still riding but only at the speed limit.

What about Ford GT designer Camilo Pardo? He was on Youtube in a Ford GT blasting down I-94 in Detroit racing in a gumball rally. I believe that video was taken down as I could not find it.

Quote Originally Posted by Gannon View Post
    I've been barely over 150 twice, on the same day actually, but in two vehicles. A mid-sized Mercedes and the original Infinity Q45. Same difference, the Merc settled into a contented groove, while the Q felt like it was going to launch with every large undulation on the Interstate.
    You would likely not have that issue with many current Infinitis. My G35 coupe was governed to 153 mph and had their sports suspension. I had a chance to drive it on a closed road. I never reached 150 because the road wasn't that long, but at 130 it was glued to the road.

About 110 mph [[175 kph) on the E-40 autobahn in Germany. I was driving a Cadillac Catera.

The fastest I ever got pulled over for was "well over 90" [[to quote the cop; it was in fact 115 mph) in a 30 mph zone in 1974 on the N/B Southfield service drive north of Schoolcraft at about 2 am on my Kawasaki Mach III. He actually thanked me for stopping, realizing I could have easily outrun him if I wanted. Took my license and registration and I sat there, thinking my time as a driver was going to be interrupted for a while. After about 3 or 4 minutes he rushed back to me, handed me my paperwork, said "slow it down next time, a-hole", and took off, sirens screaming and lights a-flashing.

I have forever been thankful that someone else decided to commit a crime right at the time I was about to get busted...

190 in a 86 AMG benz sedan,it started to rain so I had to slow down.It would do 70 in 2nd gear.

Now it is go fast on the water,less people in the way and my 46 chev 1 ton tops out at 48 mph down hill,have not driven on a highway in years.

Quote Originally Posted by bailey View Post
    you're right...no car should be able to legally exceed 15 mph and we all should be required by law to wear 8 layers of bubble wrap at all times.
    15 mph is one thing, exceeding 150 is a far stretch away. I will re-state what I've heard before: scary things happen when physics takes over. Ask any EMT worker.

Putting too much trust in your man-made vehicle and cruddy Michigan roads to run ramshot is a bad idea. However, to be fair, I honestly think Michigan drivers are a little more astute and adept at handling aggressive driving and weaving in and around traffic more so than any other state I've been [[Indiana comes close) through. We're just "car-whisperers", I guess.

I got up to 115 on the connector between I-75 and Telegraph in a big, old Galaxy 500. I freaked out when the body started floating around on the chassis. A rush to be sure, but all my cars since have had considerably less oomph [[and at least 2 less cylinders).

My 2011 Honda Accord company car 4 cylinder with 119000 miles on it will do 110 MPH with no problems. I've done it Several times, lmostly on the 96 express lanes, but on other expressways too.

I had exactly the same sensation in a '72 Montego. I had the accelerator to the floor on I96 in Novi and it got to 118. The car felt a little like tubing in river rapids, only in slow motion. 118 mph on Firestone 721 radials...yipes.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    190 in a 86 AMG benz sedan...
    omg ... you got two dozen rocket powered ballz!

mid-70s ... pulled over for 125 in a 55 between seney and shingleton [[up)
    going downstate for easter weekend ... five drunken classmates + me with
    no speedometer, odometer, or seatbelt circuits ... all disconnected b/c reg-
    istree was gm exec [[not my dad) who let sonny tool around in '74 bonneville
    he planned to resell ... cop was cute local boy - visibly hard while lecturing
    ... so woke up my bf while the cop did paperwork and requested he give da
    man his best ... got reduced to 70 in a 55, shared fine w/ passengers.

god bless free enterprise vrooom vrooom!
    Last edited by beachboy; June-22-15 at 03:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by beachboy View Post
    omg ... you got two dozen rocket powered ballz!

mid-70s ... pulled over for 125 in a 55 between seney and shingleton [[up)
    going downstate for easter weekend ... five drunken classmates + me with
    no speedometer, odometer, or seatbelt circuits ... all disconnected b/c reg-
    istree was gm exec [[not my dad) who let sonny tool around in '74 bonneville
    he planned to resell ... cop was cute local boy - visibly hard while lecturing
    ... so woke up my bf while the cop did paperwork and requested he give da
    man his best ... got reduced to 70 in a 55, shared fine w/ passengers.

god bless free enterprise vrooom vrooom!
    lol I had a 74 Bonneville that I won on a bet and put a blower on it while on base restriction in the military,I made it to 80 before getting pulled over and shipped out 4 days later.The cop was laughing so hard at the site of the car I guess he did not have the heart to give me the ticket.

Euro cars like the benz and Jags were designed with those speeds in mind,over a 100 they kinda sink closer to the road and at 150 they feel like you are going 55 so it is a comfortable feeling.

I had a 73 Plymouth Fury 3 x Minnesota highway patrol chase car complete with siren that would top out at 140 and get there quick,but it was built for it,everything was heavy duty.But you knew you were doing 140.

Now taking the likes of a Gremlin,Pinto or Chevy Vega even over 80 would take ballz.

Being out of the high speed road thing now days I wonder about the actual design limitations of the high power/torque cars of today,is the suspension,brakes and the like the same in something like the 2015 Hellcat @ 707 hp and the 1/4 mile in 10.8 seconds verses the stock model? It would be interesting to see what the differences are verses the stock models.

In comparison I had a 65 GTO convertible that did mid 15s in the 1/4 with mods and at the time Minnesota had a max 600 hp street limit on the books.

So I guess if somebody took a 4 cly Mustang and stuck a 351 in it without any other upgrades then to me that would be reckless at high speed for other cars on the road should something happen.

I think the difference now with speed racers is back in the day it was cheap to build a proper and somewhat safe fast car by making a trip to the junk yard,now it takes thousands of dollars that most teenagers do not have and most just do the engine mods without the other upgrades which is scary.
    Last edited by Richard; June-22-15 at 10:25 AM.

I had my Chrysler 200 up to 120 that was tops for me.

I'm quite uncomfortable discussing this topic. By the grace of God [[watching over myself and others) I was very fortunate not to kill or maim another person [[s) during my reckless youth. In the early and mid-60s most cars had terribly loose suspensions. Tires were standard bias-plys that actually rolled over onto their side walls during turns [[add worn out tires and worn out suspensions to this and the dangers were multiplied). Today suspensions are very tight and improved radial tires virtually eliminate the earlier years drifting on turns [[the down side is that most drivers today over-react and there are more roll-overs in these newer-smaller autos). Unable to recall or count the times I exceeded 100 mph [[even in populated areas), and a handful of times exceeded 130. It's NOTHING to be proud off, it's impossible to imagine a driver in today's vehicles being that comfortable [[since the streets contain more traffic) or that reckless [[more obstacles), but most importantly that one would be burdened with such disregard for the lives of others.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2