Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Now&then View Post
    I think it's unfair that Hiller's employees were told they would have opportunities with Kroger's, but they end up losing their jobs and told they have to take their chances like everyone else with re-applying through Kroger's.
    Too bad about the butchers Hiller's employed. Kroger don't need no stinking butchers! Or seafood guys who know how to filet a fish either. I'd never trust the pre-ground meat when Hiller's tossed some steaks into the grinder to make their ground beef for the day.

Quote Originally Posted by Don K View Post
    I did my usual weekly shopping at Hillers yesterday, and there were lots of items on sale with red tags saying "Last Chance!" Many were the Hillers "store brand" "Our Family", but others were like the 50th variety of vinegar or the 30th type of mustard, or various regional items from around the U.S., and ethnic foods such as frozen potstickers, shumai, and the more unusual Japanese ingredients. I figured these were the items Kroger told Hillers to unload before the purchase. They also were completely out of some items that they had never run out of before in my experience.

I figured it was a preview of what I won't be able to find after the takeover.
    True there will be lots of stuff not available. I'm doubtful about my favorite brand of sauerkraut, but i can always mail order that from Vermont Country Store. Where will I find ground pork, veal, and lamb, to say nothing of chicken? Am i supposed to grind my own meat now? Look, I understand Kroger wants to stick to the high-turnover stuff, but there's stuff I like that I'll go out of my way to find. I sure hope Kroger didn't assume the revenue figures for the Hiller's stores will continue, because they'll be disappointed. But maybe it's worth it on their march to get 100% of the Detroit-area market. I'll be trying out Market Square in WB to see what they have. Maybe they have decent doughnuts!

I went to the Krogers at Haggerty Rd. that was once a Hiller's, some time before Christmas. I thought that they were doing their best to keep the meat department up to standard to what Hillers once used to be. Then, we went there two days ago, and now the meat department is half the size of what it was. I mentioned it to a local gal who grumpily admitted she was angry too about the change. I know, I won't let it got, but it bothers me.

That Krogers was poorly staffed with half of them who didn't want to help and they left outdated sale tags on things.

Kroger's is still the supermarket king. Stumping its competitors one by one and assimilating Hiller's Market until it becomes Kroger's. The next thing the corps tried to do is to their greedy hands on Whole Foods.

You folks remember the Kroger's employment Union Strike of 1988? Corporation wants to replace cashiers with non-unions.

Or the time when Kroger's opened their supermarket in Detroit's East Side on Gratiot Ave. and E 7 Mile Rd. Then they left two years later, because of high crime.

Oh those were the days.

I thank God for my Hollywood Mkt 1 mile away...I would never eat any meat if it wasn't there. Kroger's packaged meat looks unappetizing at best and most of the time the things I want are out of stock. I happily pay more to have the nice butchers at Hollywood get my stuff, wrap it and it's TASTY too. I now buy 100% of my groceries at Hollywood because it's convenient and CLEAN, not to mention I don't have to wait in an endless line to check out.
    Last edited by michmina; February-01-16 at 10:46 AM.

I agree! I wish I could afford Hollywood more but when I can I do like their meats. And their cheese island. I like how they will sometimes have cut down to a tiny section a specialty cheese to affordable amount! Great!

Quote Originally Posted by michmina View Post
    I thank God for my Hollywood Mkt 1 mile away...I would never eat any meat if it wasn't there. Kroger's packaged meat looks unappetizing at best and most of the time the things I want are out of stock. I happily pay more to have the nice butchers at Hollywood get my stuff, wrap it and it's TASTY too. I now buy 100% of my groceries at Hollywood because it's convenient and CLEAN, not to mention I don't have to wait in an endless line to check out.
    In my neck of the woods, I'm boxed in by Kroger. It seems to be the only store all around me except for Meijer on the hill, which is way worse, and Westborn Fruit Market, which, while good is often too pricey for me.

I have purchased the fresh, boneless, skinless chicken breasts at Kroger for the eternal price of $1.99/lb. While this price is good on paper, the chicken often is tough, stringy, and tasteless no matter how I cook it. The produce there is also lacking these days. If you're happy with apples, oranges, & bananas you're all set, but anything else, forget it. When I can afford it, I do buy my fresh produce & meat at Westborn.

We had some chicken from Krogers last night and threw most of it away. It was also tough and tasteless.

I went to the revamped Hillers/Kroger in downtown Northville and it reminded me of a Hollywood star who's face I couldn't recognize anymore. I thought they were going to fix it up and make it nice and fancy.

I was expecting a classy, charming make over. It was charming the way it was. Now, it just an expanded Krogerized store with long aisles and crummy meat.

Quote Originally Posted by jackie5275 View Post
    In my neck of the woods, I'm boxed in by Kroger. It seems to be the only store all around me except for Meijer on the hill, which is way worse, and Westborn Fruit Market, which, while good is often too pricey for me.

I have purchased the fresh, boneless, skinless chicken breasts at Kroger for the eternal price of $1.99/lb. While this price is good on paper, the chicken often is tough, stringy, and tasteless no matter how I cook it. The produce there is also lacking these days. If you're happy with apples, oranges, & bananas you're all set, but anything else, forget it. When I can afford it, I do buy my fresh produce & meat at Westborn.

Quote Originally Posted by daddeeo View Post
    We had some chicken from Krogers last night and threw most of it away. It was also tough and tasteless.

I went to the revamped Hillers/Kroger in downtown Northville and it reminded me of a Hollywood star who's face I couldn't recognize anymore. I thought they were going to fix it up and make it nice and fancy.

I was expecting a classy, charming make over. It was charming the way it was. Now, it just an expanded Krogerized store with long aisles and crummy meat.
    Grab a rotisserie chicken from La Colmena on Bagley and 15th. I think they're the best.

Quote Originally Posted by daddeeo View Post

kirkland organic chicken from costco. i never freeze it, barely have to trim it. throw it on the grill - very juicy and flavorful.

Quote Originally Posted by michmina View Post
    I like Hollywood, but the only one I go to [[Maple Rd near Coolidge) has a produce selection that leave a bit to be desired. The produce over at Meijer is way better.

Quote Originally Posted by softailrider View Post
    I like Hollywood, but the only one I go to [[Maple Rd near Coolidge) has a produce selection that leave a bit to be desired. The produce over at Meijer is way better.
    Yeah, I'm kind of surprised people are citing Hollywood. Yes, it's generally better than Kroger [[which isn't saying much), but produce at Hollywood is weak, meat/fish only slightly better.

Quote Originally Posted by hybridy View Post
    kirkland organic chicken from costco. i never freeze it, barely have to trim it. throw it on the grill - very juicy and flavorful.
    Another good one...... Grab a tub of garlic paste from Supergreenland on Warren & Miller, or the New Yes Mam' [[Yasmeen) Bakery. The perfect rotisserie chicken dip!
    Last edited by Honky Tonk; February-02-16 at 12:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    Another good one...... Grab a tub of garlic paste from Supergreenland on Warren & Miller, or the New Yes Mam' [[yasmeen) Bakery. The perfect rotisserie chicken dip!
    For those near the Woodward Corridor in Oakland County, Value Center at 14 and Campbell has the garlic dip in their deli as do most of the Middle Eastern markets scattered around the area.

Kroger is sadly becoming the supermarket king [[I remember the strikes of 1991). http://host.madison.com/wsj/business/kroger-to-buy-milwaukee-based-roundy-s-to-expand-in/article_cb9598a1-0bb3-567f-bfd5-199c5ee6facb.htm lI lived in Wisconsin for over a year, and I've never once seen a Kroger there. So this change is quite significant. Copps is actually quite a cool chain [[I've been to that particular one shown in the picture at the top of the article many times. Oddly enough, it's not one of the better ones. It is located south of the hospital district not far from the St. Vincent De Paul Dig-n'-Save-troughs of savings there-yet, that's a whole different story there.), and I'd hate to see it go.

I'd prefer Kroger just took over Cub, Festival Foods, or Hy-Vee [[which are jumpy on prices), but I think Cub Foods fled Wisconsin a while ago. I was used to seeing Kroger in Ohio, Kentucky, Indiana, and Illinois. Many times their locations were the only game in town, and if not, then they were second in quality to the front runner there in that area [[ie. Jewel/Osco in Bloomington, Il. was better than the Kroger's down the road).

I'm also boxed in with various Krogers in Jackie's neck of the woods. We call the one in the Westborn Mall "Kroger Kroger" [[which sometimes varies radically on available of stock and respectability of staff and patrons there-I've even encountered straight-up pan-handlers racially profiling their marks with their "collecting for an academy".); while the one directly across the street is "Farmer Kroger", which was better off as a Farmer Jack [["Because it's always savings time at..."). Heck! we got two almost a mile apart from each other on Middlebelt.

Meijers [[on the hill) is okay, but while you may run a nice chance of meeting a pretty gal shopping there, they are getting worse and worse in service.

Westborn is pricey, but when I have to pick up my mom for errands, she insists on getting the rare meat deals available or loose Clementines. Otherwise she wants me to cart her over to Norm's in Westland or Joyview off Telegraph to get her meats.

Greenland has some cheap produce, nice exotic cookies, and good plain yogurt.

For produce, I'll weigh in on Dearborn Farm Market on Monroe East of Outer Drive. They got decent stuff for a decent price. Yet, some of their meats may be from Dearborn Sausage which uses MSG.

However, meat isn't my thing, so I like Patel Bros. in Garden City [[was so geeked to find one in Waltham, when I was living way out there).

Sort of surprised at all the Kroger-trashing posts, considering their Ralphs subsidiary is actually quite good. Not overly spectacular if you're seeking a vast selection of organic/grass-fed/non-GMO/gluten-free cheese, but a completely adequate neighborhood market on basic deli, meat, bakery, and produce.

Then again, the cashiers tend to chuckle [[at best) or sneer [[at worst) if one even mentions the "Kroger" name. Shortly after they acquired Ralphs, the staffing, hours, and benefit cutting began.

Default Kroger and Ralph's

Quote Originally Posted by Onthe405 View Post
    Sort of surprised at all the Kroger-trashing posts, considering their Ralph's subsidiary is actually quite good. Not overly spectacular if you're seeking a vast selection of organic/grass-fed/non-GMO/gluten-free cheese, but a completely adequate neighborhood market on basic deli, meat, bakery, and produce.

Then again, the cashiers tend to chuckle [[at best) or sneer [[at worst) if one even mentions the "Kroger" name. Shortly after they acquired Ralph's, the staffing, hours, and benefit cutting began.
    Kroger is my favorite grocery store; Ralph's [[San Diego) was a tad to pricey - IMO - at least compared to Albertson's - but Ralph's is nicer than Kroger, IMO, and is a Very Nice Store.

I think the best combination of good produce, good meat, good fish and seafood, really good selection of everything and decent prices is Meijer. The one by my office [[12Mile / Telegraph) is always busy, lots of checkout lanes open, you get in and out pretty fast. I can't find anything to complain about when it comes to that place.

I buy all my meat from Gratiot Central Market. It's cheaper, much fresher and much better quality. It's especially noticeable with chicken, which is inedible when bought from most chain groceries but really excellent when bought from Cheech's. The fresh ground beef is also tons better than the pre-packaged crap that always results in tough burgers and is more likely to make you sick if not cooked properly.

Quote Originally Posted by G-DDT View Post
    For produce, I'll weigh in on Dearborn Farm Market on Monroe East of Outer Drive. They got decent stuff for a decent price. Yet, some of their meats may be from Dearborn Sausage which uses MSG...
    A couple of things about Dearborn Farm Market-I used to go there somewhat frequently until the Blackout of 2003. I went there a couple of days after the power came back on. I saw in their dairy section the packaged, sliced cheese they were selling was melted in the packages. This told me the cheese had been left out to melt while the power was out. Rather than pitching it, like all the food stores around, they tried to sell it. Who knows how long that cheese sat out in the heat & humidity. I wasn't taking a chance with them any more.

They used to be loosely associated with Trentwood Farms Market. Trentwood has 2 locations in Southgate & Woodhaven. It's actually pretty decent. I would describe them as a Westborn Market junior. If they had a location closer to my house, I'd frequent them more often.

Quote Originally Posted by Onthe405 View Post
    Sort of surprised at all the Kroger-trashing posts, considering their Ralphs subsidiary is actually quite good. Not overly spectacular if you're seeking a vast selection of organic/grass-fed/non-GMO/gluten-free cheese, but a completely adequate neighborhood market on basic deli, meat, bakery, and produce.

Then again, the cashiers tend to chuckle [[at best) or sneer [[at worst) if one even mentions the "Kroger" name. Shortly after they acquired Ralphs, the staffing, hours, and benefit cutting began.
    I wouldn't say it's Kroger-trashing, just relating shared experiences that aren't always positive. I do shop Kroger regularly for the most part, mostly because where I live it's pretty much the only game in town. When a store dominates the market in an area, they don't have to try as hard.

I've never seen a Ralphs store, but I did look up their ad online. It looks pretty much like Kroger.

Quote Originally Posted by SDCC View Post
    Kroger is my favorite grocery store; Ralph's [[San Diego) was a tad to pricey - IMO - at least compared to Albertson's - but Ralph's is nicer than Kroger, IMO, and is a Very Nice Store.

Quote Originally Posted by jackie5275 View Post
    I've never seen a Ralphs store, but I did look up their ad online. It looks pretty much like Kroger.

Fred Meyer [[no connection to Michigan's Meijer) is another subsidiary of Kroger that has very nice stores IMO. Maybe the better quality has something to do with the fact that both Fred Meyer & Ralphs were respected chains with a legacy in their own geographic markets [[the Pacific Northwest & SoCal respectively) before the acquisition.

Ralphs is the oldest supermarket chain west of the Mississippi [[incidentally, the name is derived from its founder, George Ralphs, not a possessive of the familiar First Name). The folks in Cincinnati may have enough sense to approach with at least some degree of "hands-off" when something isn't broken. However, it sounds as if they tend to neglect & take for granted their own backyard of the Midwest.

Ew, thanks for the experience on Dearborn Farm Market, Jackie. Think I'll just stick to getting produce there.

As far as Krogers goes. I have a serious love/hate thing going with them. Feel free to ignore the following anecdote, as it is just a lengthy, petty gripe:

I took my mom over to the one at 9 Mile in Southfield [[just to get a break from going to the same dang ones in my area). We are low-income Wayne County types, so we rely heavily on coupons and bottle returns. The bottle return was way in the back, and somewhere between there and rendezvousing with mom, I lost my packed coupon wallet.

I asked one of the cart-rustlers, who seemed apathetic. I assumed all was lost [[if it were me finding it, would I have returned it with no name to the counter?-looking back, now I would, but at the time....). Then the guy shows up triumphantly to bring it to me, as someone did turn it into customer service. Talk about a wonder! Bless both of them. Had to give the manager the thumbs up for the cart-guy who went out of his way. Love it.

Then comes check out time. The cashier curtly sweeps back two of our coupons to us with a "these are expired" [[clearly not for two more weeks on it-it's like she went by the machine and didn't want to even double-check them.) We stood our ground and said no they clearly aren't. Yet, the machine was acting difficult and in perfect simpatico with her attitude. One was a Kroger-issued coupon for chips which we had the two required-in weight-to receive discount. Again, she had to hold things up [[we apologized to the lady behind us who couldn't have been nicer about it) and be stubborn by challenging us to whether we actually bought two; then she's actually calling up the receipt to thoroughly scope it for two bags of chips. She was being defiant and coarse through every step of it all, but we politely asserted ourselves, until she was forced to ask a senior member how to do an override to earn us our measly $2 savings. Hate it [[and it's this type of good/bad I deal with each and every single time I walk into a Krogers).

As we are walking back to the car wondering what her problem was, the gal behind us came up with her cart and assured us with "she was clearly having some issues there." It seems stupid and petty to grouse over coupons, but there was something unprecedented and nasty about her attitude that rubbed us bad.

It hit us on the way to her house that the way I was there with my short mother in her black hat with the coupons that this woman in that particular area perceived us as Eastern European Jews nitpicking over savings. She saw us as a stereotype of "wealthy Jews scrutinizing over pennies" [[while she lives in poverty) she hated from that area and wanted to get crude towards us. The funny thing is we were Eastern European nit-pickers, but legitimately strapped goy ones from our po-dunk Wayne County suburb daring to infiltrate her neck of the woods because that's where mom has her physical therapy sessions. There is no doubt this woman exuded prejudice towards us in one form or another.

All that stupid noise and small-time hassle aside, it just reminds me of a cartoon illustrated from Harvey Pekar's narrative of how much a hassle it is being behind Old Jewish gals getting fastidious over savings at the check-out. Yet, it goes into a flip on the issue where in one instance the cashier got unnecessarily crude and tight with one Jewish lady who couldn't have been more patient, decent, and in the right about it. Because, as Harvey put it, "It was the cashier who was all F-ed up."
    Last edited by G-DDT; February-06-16 at 10:00 PM.

I consider myself a Grocery Store snob. I will walk out of a grocery store and then pass by several other locations if something's not right with them.

Unfortunately, Kroger, Meijer and Walmart are generally the only options for those of us on the east side. The locations do tend to be hit or miss.

I generally find the Krogers in Grosse Pointe to be pretty decent, especially the Marter Road / Jefferson location. The "Super" Kroger they recently opened on 13 Mile / Little Mack [[across from Meijer) is also very nice.

That Meijer in Roseville, on the other hand, should be killed with fire. I'd rather drive all the way to the 8 Mile and Woodward location, frankly.

The Roseville and Warren Walmarts were recently expanded to become Supercenters. They're like any other Walmarts, of course.

As far as vegetables and fruit, when Kroger fails, there's always Joe Randazzo's.
    Last edited by 313WX; February-06-16 at 10:58 PM.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast